Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

.32 S&W-L primer pierces in GSP

+2
zanemoseley
NuJudge
6 posters

Go down

.32 S&W-L primer pierces in GSP Empty .32 S&W-L primer pierces in GSP

Post by NuJudge 11/15/2019, 3:51 pm

I am new to loading the .32 S&W-Long with HBWC and 1.7gr of Bullseye.  I have fired several hundred rounds of S&B factory ammo through my GSP with no issues and excellent accuracy at 50 feet.  I loaded a small batch of about 50 rounds using the techniques I learned here using some 30-year old Remington small pistol primers I got from my father, getting excellent accuracy and no problems.  I loaded another batch and tried them today.  Looking at the fired cases, about one in five seem to have pierced, leaving black down in the indent.  

I've done a lot of hand loading for Service Rifle, and there a primer pierce is a big deal.  I'm assuming it is a problem here.  I presume I should disassemble the pistol and examine the firing pin tip for roughness.  In Service Rifle, if the tip looked rough, I replace the firing pin, but some talk of smoothing it with mild abrasive.   I believe I will throw away the rest of that small batch of primers. 

I have a spare .32 GSP firing pin.  

How should I proceed?

NuJudge

Back to top Go down

.32 S&W-L primer pierces in GSP Empty Re: .32 S&W-L primer pierces in GSP

Post by zanemoseley 11/15/2019, 4:20 pm

Try a batch of new CCI primers. I use CCI amd 1.8 bullseye under a 98 grain wadcutter in my GSP with no issues. If you're still getting blown primers look at the firing pin and possibly the firing pin hole diameter in the breach face.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by S148 11/15/2019, 6:43 pm

I'd try the CCI primers, too. 

If they are old Remington primers are 1  1/5, they might be sensitive to high pressure. Now, 32 S&W is not a high pressure cartridge by any means, but maybe they don't react well with your load. I'm just speculating.  

Here's an article on the Remington 1  1/2 primers.   http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/nra/ssusa_201805/index.php#/28

S148

Back to top Go down

Post by Bubba Blaster 11/16/2019, 10:13 am

I had a sleeve of Remington small pistol primers from 30 years ago and they were piercing with 38 spl loads.

Bubba Blaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Lorenz 11/16/2019, 1:40 pm

I believe Dave Wilson forwarded this email to me awhile back.

Darius Young
Primers are an important component to good ammunition.  I have done a lot of testing with different primers and they do differ in velocity and accuracy and lot numbers with various loads.  I found that using small Bench Rest Rifle primers in my .32 loads made a great difference in standard deviation of velocity and accuracy.  The .32 loads require a low powder charge and the primer quality becomes very important, in my opinion, as the primer is part of the charge.  I also found that RWS and Lapua primers are very consistent compared to some of our primers.  The bench rest rifle primers are very good but you do need a strong hammer to set them off uniformly.  I would suggest testing and finding out what works best in your gun.

Wes Lorenz

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian.highstandard 11/21/2019, 2:23 pm

I use Federal Match small pistol primers in my 32 S&W Long loads of 1.5 Gr Trail Boss and I have had no problems with ignition of the load. I also believe the primer is an important consideration and I have been using these also in my 38 special loads for my 52.

Brian.highstandard

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down