Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some Nelson Custom Guns goodness

5 posters

Go down

Some Nelson Custom Guns goodness Empty Some Nelson Custom Guns goodness

Post by Sa-tevp 11/15/2019, 5:57 pm

I had ordered a parts kits from Nelson Custom Guns to support my conversion and also to replace the older kit I either sold with my second conversion or lost. I received the kit quickly and was impressed with the improvements from my last kit.

Below are two pictures. One is the color coded and labeled springs, and the second is a newer wrench that has sockets on both ends now. The double ended wrench was great as I was about to dig out my mouse-nut size sockets to get a clean start on the recoil spring guide while having a barrel weight mounted.

Some Nelson Custom Guns goodness Ncg_sp10Some Nelson Custom Guns goodness Ncg_wr10

Nice work Larry!
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Some Nelson Custom Guns goodness Empty Re: Some Nelson Custom Guns goodness

Post by Al 11/15/2019, 7:33 pm

Absolutely, I got my 6" with the combo rib I ordered at Perry last summer about 2 weeks ago. I noticed the dual ended wrench too. Very nice touch!

So far, very satisfied with it. Haven't had a chance yet to put it on the Ransom, but that'll come in due time. I was looking for an increase in weight from the 5" I've been using so it would match my wad guns. It's within 2 oz.
Al

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 11/15/2019, 7:37 pm

Al wrote:Absolutely, I got my 6" with the combo rib I ordered at Perry last summer about 2 weeks ago. I noticed the dual ended wrench too. Very nice touch!

So far, very satisfied with it. Haven't had a chance yet to put it on the Ransom, but that'll come in due time. I was looking for an increase in weight from the 5" I've been using so it would match my wad guns. It's within 2 oz.
Al

If you don't like the balance of the 6" Nelson try a 5" Marvel with the bronze rib, that pistol is actually slightly heavier than my 45 wadgun, it balances a bit higher than my 45 but the front to back balance is about the same.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by bob finger 11/15/2019, 7:39 pm

We would all be better off if more vendors gave us the care and consideration that Larry and Kevin do.  It is always pleasant to deal with Nelson Custom.  Good people and superb products worth waiting for.  bob

bob finger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp 11/15/2019, 7:48 pm

Al wrote:Absolutely, I got my 6" with the combo rib I ordered at Perry last summer about 2 weeks ago. I noticed the dual ended wrench too. Very nice touch!

Al

I used half of a NCG barrel weight to get the balance similar. Both have roll triggers and the 22 trigger weight is in the high 2 pound range. A friend who shot both commented that almost everything was the same except a bit more noise and recoil with the 45. Both shot about the same for call.

(Oh yeah, that is a Eulette rail on the RO and the Weaver rings trap the 1" Ultradot. More good engineering.)
(Froneck shoes too)

Some Nelson Custom Guns goodness Ncg_sa10.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by 45ACP223 11/17/2019, 2:51 pm

What frame are you using on your Nelson?  That's a nice matching setup you have!  I ordered my Nelson without the threaded barrel option, maybe I should have in case I need to add weight to it to match the 45.  I didn't realize folks were using weights on the front of the barrel.  I should have asked Larry about that when I placed my order.
45ACP223
45ACP223

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp 11/17/2019, 5:31 pm

45ACP223 wrote:What frame are you using on your Nelson?  That's a nice matching setup you have!  I ordered my Nelson without the threaded barrel option, maybe I should have in case I need to add weight to it to match the 45.  I didn't realize folks were using weights on the front of the barrel.  I should have asked Larry about that when I placed my order.

The Nelson conversion is on top of a Palmetto State Armory frame. They were on sale from a batch of frames PSA ordered when they were considering making 1911 copies. After a few swaps on an existing 1911 most people shop for a dedicated lower. I tried to have as much the same between the two pistols as possible. At one time I had figured out the weight and balance so I could get the center of gravity as near as possible too.

The full NCG weight is too heavy so I asked a friend to cut it in half. Now it is very nice but the CCI SV I shoot through it does splatter some lead in the inside of the weight so I scrape it out every once in a while with a brass tube.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down