Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Volquartzen rear sight disappointment

+2
james r chapman
brooksharris
6 posters

Go down

Volquartzen rear sight disappointment Empty Volquartzen rear sight disappointment

Post by brooksharris 11/27/2019, 10:40 am

I am new to bullseye pistol shooting but do thoroughly understand sight alignment as I'm distinguished in service rifle and smallbore.
With a scope and from a rest my Ruger Mk II slabside is more accurate than I thought a pistol could be.  I ordered a Volquartzen rear sight
based on the positive reviews I had read.  However I find it unusable because the notch is too shallow at .062".  Other sight notch depths I have measured are as follows:  original Ruger Mk II sight is .0785; Les Baer is .095; Dan Wesson Valor is .1145; Kimber Custom Shop is .1155; S&W revolver is .075; and GP 100 Ruger is .077.  The only handgun I own with a shallower rear sight notch is my 1945 vintage US Property Colt 1911.

It's not possible to file the notch deeper because the bottom of the notch is in line with the base of the sight; i.e., to file deeper would cut into the
elevation screw of the base.  I have contacted Volquartzen several times and they have replied, but I have been told it would be "cost prohibitive" for them to make one rear sight blade for me that would allow for a deeper notch.  (I'm not sure how they know what I would consider "cost prohibitive".

Under perfect light and from a rest this sight would allow for accurate slow fire shots.  But offhand, much less timed or rapid, it is not possible to reaquire  sight alignment.  So I'm stuck with a well made sight that I cannot use.  Do any of you have a suggestion as to how I might make this sight usable with a deeper notch?
Happy Thanksgiving and blessings to you and yours!

brooksharris

Back to top Go down

Volquartzen rear sight disappointment Empty Re: Volquartzen rear sight disappointment

Post by james r chapman 11/27/2019, 10:52 am

probably would need a higher rear sight blade in order to go deeper, and a higher front also
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Volquartzen rear sight disappointment Empty Re: Volquartzen rear sight disappointment

Post by james r chapman 11/27/2019, 10:53 am

A machinist might make you a one of sight blade
And a custom front sight
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 11/27/2019, 10:55 am

See what Kensight has to offer
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 11/27/2019, 3:57 pm

Here is a deeper notch made by soldering a higher plate on the rear.  Silver Solder I think.  LPA sights on both 92s.  For 6:00 hold, it works.
Volquartzen rear sight disappointment Img_0216
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike38 11/27/2019, 4:42 pm

This target rear sight from Ruger appears to have a shallow notch like the Volquartzen. But, it looks as if it can be filed some. It says that it's for a MkIII and MkIV but I believe the dovetail is the same as a MkII. http://shopruger.com/Mark-IV-Mark-III-Target-Square-Notch-Rear-Sight/productinfo/61170/

I have a Millet rear sight on my MkII and it is deep enough, but had to make it a bit wider. Unfortunately, Millet no longer makes the rear sight for the Mk series of pistols. Maybe find a used one?
Mike38
Mike38

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 11/27/2019, 5:42 pm

james r chapman wrote:See what Kensight has to offer
 Volquartsen left, Kensight right.  Both for Ruger.  KS has taller fronts too.
Volquartzen rear sight disappointment Img_0217
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 11/27/2019, 7:17 pm

Jack H wrote:
james r chapman wrote:See what Kensight has to offer
 Volquartsen left, Kensight right.  Both for Ruger.  KS has taller fronts too.
Volquartzen rear sight disappointment Img_0217
Volquartzen rear sight disappointment 2935285009
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by brooksharris 11/27/2019, 7:36 pm

That should be sufficient.  Wish I had seen it before spending $70.+ on the Volquartzen.
Thank-you sir!

brooksharris

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo 12/5/2019, 8:54 pm

I have 2 VQ sights on is shollow like yours and the other looks like a Bomar. I wish I knew who makes the sights for Benelli and Pardini and I could get that sight set for the Ruger or an Old School Bomar Rib.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Volquartzen rear sight disappointment Empty millet rear sight blade

Post by STEVE SAMELAK 12/5/2019, 11:11 pm

Mike38 wrote:This target rear sight from Ruger appears to have a shallow notch like the Volquartzen. But, it looks as if it can be filed some. It says that it's for a MkIII and MkIV but I believe the dovetail is the same as a MkII. http://shopruger.com/Mark-IV-Mark-III-Target-Square-Notch-Rear-Sight/productinfo/61170/

I have a Millet rear sight on my MkII and it is deep enough, but had to make it a bit wider. Unfortunately, Millet no longer makes the rear sight for the Mk series of pistols. Maybe find a used one?
I MAY have a couple nos millet sights in my pile of stuff, but I won't be able to get near them until Sunday afternoon.
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down