Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New barrel or just new bushing?

+5
bruce martindale
Allgoodhits
minelabbob
zanemoseley
kcl31
9 posters

Go down

New barrel or just new bushing? Empty New barrel or just new bushing?

Post by kcl31 12/3/2019, 10:52 pm

I have a Les Bear Premier II 1.5 version, it was bought used last year, I have around 1000 rounds on it now, and previous owner clam he has 2000 rounds on it.

I understand I shouldn’t expect 1.5” at 50yd from a Les Bear 1.5 as it is more like a grading than real test result. But this gun just show ~8” at 50yd with factory ammo and ~4” at 50yd with my 200grain Hornady HAP reload, which is easily beaten by my Sig P226 with BarSto drop in semi-custom barrel using 115grain Hornady HAP reload.

This makes me thinking if the gun already wear out, and I should send it to a bullseye smith to get a new barrel/barrel bushing/barrel link? If so, how should I tell if I need to do all or just start with a new bushing?

Thanks

kcl31

Back to top Go down

New barrel or just new bushing? Empty Re: New barrel or just new bushing?

Post by kcl31 12/3/2019, 10:57 pm

BTW, all the 50yd test are done on sand bag with red dot sight. I’ve got many less than 2” result using other gun with same method, so I guess the 4” group shouldn’t be all my fault.

kcl31

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 12/3/2019, 11:21 pm

The answer is to send the entire pistol to a bullseye smith and let them tell you what it needs. Asking a bunch of people online about a pistol they can't inspect won't yield good info.

Saying that, from what I've heard of Les Baer's barrel fitting if I were going through the hassle of shipping the pistol to a smith I would probably lean toward replacing the barrel, bushing and slide stop. Basically a total rebuild minus welding and refitting the slide/frame, the LB slide to frame should be decent.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by minelabbob 2/8/2020, 5:06 am

give les a call, have him go over the gun for you. i am sure they can test and fix were needed

bob

minelabbob

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits 2/8/2020, 8:54 am

minelabbob wrote:give les a call, have him go over the gun for you. i am sure they can test and fix were needed

bob
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ that, too start.
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 2/8/2020, 10:07 am

Have a Ransom, or Random Rest? Use that, or sandbag it but be aware, technique is important.

Realistically, the gun is unlikely to have significant wear, unless the owner fully disassembled it every time it was used. (I knew someone who did that) .

As Cecil would say, train more, shoot more. If you were a Master, maybe your judgement would be correct and warrant changes. I see too many people worried about what is really good equipment relative to their ability and this is adding doubt to their routine.

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 2/8/2020, 10:41 am

On many Baer pistols I’ve run into barrel springing. The bushing was not properly relieved and the barrel is slightly bowed when in battery.
Or wrong barrel link length/fit.
Very doubtful it is worn out.
I would try warranty with Baer first. Good luck because he’s a pain to deal with.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 2/8/2020, 12:29 pm

I wouldn't bother with Les, you're not the original owner so I wouldn't expect him to cover any repairs and if you're shipping and paying for repairs I would rather have a bullseye smith do the work. I would also rely on a bullseye Smith's advice as to the work required. The barrel should be fine with that amount of shooting but may need to be refit.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by kcl31 2/8/2020, 3:02 pm

Thanks for the advises!

I’ve send the gun to Greg Derr to fit a new barrel w/ new bushing/link and slide stop. Hopefully I will get it back soon.

I used sand bag to do the test, I’ve got consistent results of 1.1“~1.5” group at 50yd with my Trailside using the same method, and 2.5”~3.5” with my Sig, so I’d assume the 4” result on same day and same method would be a comparable measure.

I’ll keep it posted when I get the gun back.

kcl31

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 2/8/2020, 3:18 pm

kcl31 wrote:Thanks for the advises!

I’ve send the gun to Greg Derr to fit a new barrel w/ new bushing/link and slide stop. Hopefully I will get it back soon.

I used sand bag to do the test, I’ve got consistent results of 1.1“~1.5” group at 50yd with my Trailside using the same method, and 2.5”~3.5” with my Sig, so I’d assume the 4” result on same day and same method would be a comparable measure.

all reasonable expectations.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 2/9/2020, 8:55 am

kcl31 wrote:Thanks for the advises!

Good move, sending it to someone who knows what they are doing with bullseye pistols. When you get it back, it should be good to go for tens of thousands of rounds with nothing but normal maintenance.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokinNJokin 2/9/2020, 11:58 am

I made the mistake long ago of ruining a good barrel to bushing fit by twisting the bushing with the barrel in battery for removal, the way you would with a regular (non-BE) 1911. No one ever told me not to..

So not to insult your intelligence, you probably already know this, BUT:
1) Only remove the barrel bushing for cleaning when you ABSOLUTELY MUST; i.e. you are going to soak the barrel for lead removal.

2) never, ever twist the bushing with the barrel in battery. It is relieved for the barrel to tilt down during unlocking; the relief is not 360 degrees (unless it is the Accuracy X, model 52-style spherical bulge on the barrel) so if you turn it in battery you are going to gall the barrel/bushing badly. If you must remove the barrel, retract the slide a bit, pop out the takedown lever, take off the upper, remove the recoil assy. and then retract the barrel way back so it is at the thinner portion where bushing is quite loose, THEN twist the bushing for removal.

Again, most of you probably already knew this. But it is a great way to destroy a very good barrel fit, very fast (within a few cleanings). I barely clean my CF guns anymore. Just a wipedown usually.

SmokinNJokin

Back to top Go down

Post by kcl31 2/9/2020, 12:15 pm

Wow! Thanks for the tip! And this is new to me.

I did try not to clean my 1911 too often (like only run bore snake to clean residual in barrel each time after using, and only do field strip to clean once in a while), but I did use the common way to disassemble...

kcl31

Back to top Go down

Post by minelabbob 2/9/2020, 1:24 pm

good video on youtube about how to tare down your 1911 if there is any-
thing you don't understand. most people in the past, tare down like it was a 1940 army
issue beat up combat pistol. bullseye 1911 guns need a little TLC when it
comes to barrel and bushing.

bob

minelabbob

Back to top Go down

Post by kcl31 2/9/2020, 1:47 pm

And I assume the previous owner also strip it the old way, as I can rotate the bushing easily without a wrench when the gun is in battery...

kcl31

Back to top Go down

Post by minelabbob 2/9/2020, 2:12 pm

basic disassembly/assembly of baer 1911   youtube

corrected URL

Last edited by james r chapman on 2/9/2020, 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Admin fixed redirection)

minelabbob

Back to top Go down

Post by kcl31 2/9/2020, 2:35 pm

Got it! Thanks a lot!

It seems no longer a good idea to buy used Baer 1911, as there is no guarantee the previous owner is doing the disassembly correctly.

kcl31

Back to top Go down

Post by minelabbob 2/9/2020, 4:52 pm

you still have a good platform to work on. most times there are little things
that can bring back accuracy. a new barrel bushing can do wonders for a
barrel. I did a barrel and bushing to a gun that was a dog and when I was
done it was a shooter again.
bob

minelabbob

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down