Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What do people think of this RRA bullseye pistol?

+18
james r chapman
troystaten
LenV
kjanracing
messenger
Lightfoot
Al
mpolans
10sandxs
Outthere
Steve B
x90rider
John Dervis
zanemoseley
JIMPGOV
So Cal X Ring
oldsalt444
jlow
22 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

What do people think of this RRA bullseye pistol? Empty What do people think of this RRA bullseye pistol?

Post by jlow Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:43 am

Interested in hearing about pros and cons of this pistol apart from it's initial cost.

Also interested in hearing about the options that is offered in terms of checkering - 20-30 LPI, RRA vs. KART barrels

https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=138

jlow

Back to top Go down

What do people think of this RRA bullseye pistol? Empty Re: What do people think of this RRA bullseye pistol?

Post by oldsalt444 Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:02 am

Guaranteed 1.5" @ 50 yd.?  Excellent!  It's great to see a purpose built bullseye gun from a major manufacturer.  But yeah, the price - ouch.
oldsalt444
oldsalt444

Back to top Go down

What do people think of this RRA bullseye pistol? Empty Re: What do people think of this RRA bullseye pistol?

Post by So Cal X Ring Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:10 am

Not sure about the RRA wadgun, but I find the 20 lpi on my TRP to be aggressive and uncomfortable. I much prefer the 30 lpi on my Les Baer. I would also choose a Kart barrel, gunsmith fit.

So Cal X Ring

Back to top Go down

Post by JIMPGOV Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:17 am

I OWN SEVERAL. .45 AND 9MM BOTH WAD AND BALL GUNS. HARD TO BEAT.
AND AS FAR AS PRICE GOES. CHECK AROUND. THEY ARE CHEAPER THAN MOST.
I PREFER THE 20LPI.
AS FAR AS THE BARRELS GO . EACH GUN COMES WITH A 50YD TEST TARGET REGARDLESS OF THE BARREL INSTALLED. SO IF IT MEETS THE 1.5" AT 50YDS WHAT DOES IT REALLY MATTER? JP

JIMPGOV

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:43 am

I think RRA is the next best thing to a full custom. I prefer 20lpi, I've had plenty of pistols with 30lpi and it's not near aggressive enough for me.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by John Dervis Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:05 pm

I think they are a great choice.  I have two wad guns, a hardball gun, and a lower for a marvel conversion.  Accuracy is 1.5" and mine have all been very reliable.  My hardball gun functions with 230 ball loads all they way down to 185 gr lead SWC with 3.7 BE without changing the original spring.  I have both 30 and 20 lpi guns and I like the more aggressive 20 lpi checkering for sure. Kart barrels are known for their accuracy so there is no worry there and Rock River sets up at Camp Perry every year to take care of their customers.  Pricing is in line with other high end makers from what I've seen.

Good luck,
John

John Dervis

Back to top Go down

Post by jlow Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:06 pm

Thanks a bunch for your feedbacks guys!

jlow

Back to top Go down

Post by x90rider Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:42 pm

I have a wad gun with 20LPI and a ball gun with the new 15LPI. Both guns shoot 1.5" at 50 yards. I prefer the 15LPI combined with VZ Diamond Back grips. No matter how sweaty your hand gets, it does not slip. I am hoping to upgrade the wad gun at Camp Perry for a 15LPI version.

x90rider

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:33 pm

Wow 15lpi, can double as a cheese grater lol.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by So Cal X Ring Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:51 pm

What do people think of this RRA bullseye pistol? Guncra10

10 lpi

So Cal X Ring

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve B Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:34 am

zanemoseley wrote:I think RRA is the next best thing to a full custom. I prefer 20lpi, I've had plenty of pistols with 30lpi and it's not near aggressive enough for me.

Completely agree, I'd buy RRA before any other semi-custom and before many of the moderately priced custom guys.  I've got their 45 hardball gun, went distinguished with it in 4 matches back in 2014.

Steve B

Back to top Go down

Post by Outthere Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:01 am

So Cal X Ring wrote:What do people think of this RRA bullseye pistol? Guncra10

10 lpi
Wow. You must have hands like Jim Clark,Sr.
Outthere
Outthere

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sandxs Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:19 am

I made Master with a 6" RR in 45. It shoots better than I do even after 10+ years of use...  I'd still shoot it, but I started building my own... but that's another rabbit hole...

10sandxs

Back to top Go down

Post by mpolans Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:23 am

I've got one with the regular slide mount rib as my primary wadgun.  Works great.  I think it's the best deal around for a semi-custom bullseye gun.

mpolans

Back to top Go down

Post by jlow Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:17 am

Wow!  More great input - thanks guys!

jlow

Back to top Go down

Post by Al Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:54 pm

No experience with the Rock River, other than hearing good things about them on this list. However on the LPI front, I've played with 30, 25, and 20. 1-20 & 1-25 on my wad guns and 25 on my hardball. One Nelson conversion with 30 and one with 20 LPI. I strongly prefer the 20. The 25 is ok if the diamonds are sharp, but the 30 is just a bit too fine and gets slippery when I sweat in the summer.

Allen

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by jlow Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:10 pm

Yes, a good non-slip grip is essential.

How about grip size?  Despite being a mid-size guy, I find that most of the polymer pistol grips are too small for me.  What options do you have with the RR?  I imagine that you can change grip panels but the factory comes with only one size?

jlow

Back to top Go down

Post by Lightfoot Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:47 pm

jlow wrote:Yes, a good non-slip grip is essential.

How about grip size?  Despite being a mid-size guy, I find that most of the polymer pistol grips are too small for me.  What options do you have with the RR?  I imagine that you can change grip panels but the factory comes with only one size?
What size gloves do you wear?  Why do you think the 1911 grip will be too small for you?  With changes in trigger length, slab thickness, and maybe MSH shape it'll fit most likely unless you have xxxl hands.  It may be that you need to shoot it a while to figure out what a good grip feels like.
Lightfoot
Lightfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:06 pm

I've got medium hands and in my experience if a 1911 doesn't fit your hand nothing will. A short trigger will help.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by jlow Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:08 pm

I have no idea whether the grip will fit me.  Mostly asking just in case since I have had so much trouble in the past.

jlow

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:44 pm

Go to pretty much any gun shop and handle a 1911, they're essentially all the same. You can get shorter triggers and thin slabs which may help a bit.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by jlow Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:05 pm

Sounds great thanks!

jlow

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:11 pm

Jlow,

1911 grips can be deceiving. I've gone through a very steep learning curve involving many grip changes. The 1st 1911 I got was a SIG Target Elite with the really beautiful blonde Birch wood grips. It felt great initially, really "filled" the hand. As I acquired more 1911's I fitted them all with SIG wood grips. Beautiful matching set!

Then I discovered Bullseye competition and started reading all of the excellent info on this forum. There are inumerable references to "tight consistent hold" required to shoot a 1911 well. In my case, medium hands with shortish fingers, that requires skinny grippy slabs, aggressive front strap and flat mainspring housing. I like to feel the stippling/checkering under the entire hand/fingers contact area. Makes a huge difference, especially for sustained fire.

I sold all of my SIG wood grips easily, cause those guys with XL (or in Len V's case XXXL) love those bigger sized grips.

I suggest that you handle as many 1911's as you can, but if you do buy a 1911 please buy a set of sharkskin grips 
https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/grip-parts/grips/1911-sharkskin-grips-prod68565.aspx
or Lava grips
https://coppergungrips.com/
They are not expensive and are very easy to fit. Then go shoot a few strings of rapid fire - I think that you will be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by radjag on Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by messenger Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:21 pm

I have an older RRA wad gun. It was wore out. Sent it to Dave Salyer and after new barrel, bushing, and a little tightening it is easily as accurate as some custom made wad guns I have had built. I will never part with it.

Bill
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Post by kjanracing Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:43 pm

Excellent pistol. Love mine,!
Kurt
kjanracing
kjanracing

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next