Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Process process process

+5
Mike38
john bickar
SteveT
Wobbley
xman
9 posters

Go down

Process process process Empty Process process process

Post by xman 1/11/2020, 5:21 pm

Process process process I keep reading and seeing that all over the place here in this forum could someone post with bullet points no pun intended the concept of process. The way process is being posted now it is very fractured and not really conducive to reading and understanding thank you
xman
xman

Back to top Go down

Process process process Empty Re: Process process process

Post by Wobbley 1/11/2020, 6:15 pm

Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 1/11/2020, 10:05 pm

A process is a series of steps, breaking down a task into smaller tasks.

Shot process in this context is the steps a shooter takes, leading up to the shot. Initially most of us just write down what we do. Over time, we think about changes and try different steps to learn what steps are most important to deliver a good shot.

The shot process can be as detailed as an individual wants. The first time I wrote my process down it was 2 pages single spaced. It started before I stepped up to the bench. Over time I narrowed it down to a few key words and behind each word are a few steps I take as I repeat them to myself. Each step takes maybe 1-3 seconds.

• Starting in the firing position, gun loaded and gripped resting on the bench
  • Head - Quick visualization of the dot in the center of the bull as the shot goes off, clear the mind of thoughts other than this shot
  • Heart - I am lucky to be here, I am doing something that I love and want to do well
  • Stance - Verify my stance and position starting at the feet and moving up the body
  • Stage - Verify my grip and arm are right, raise the gun a couple inches off the bench, take up the slack in the trigger
  • (no word here) - Eyes focused on the center of the bull (verify the correct target), raise the gun up above the bull, follow the dot up when it passes
  • Center - The dot is centered in the tube just above the bullseye, move eyes back to the center of the bull
  • Center - Lower the dot to the center of the target increasing pressure on trigger
  • Center - Continue increasing pressure on the trigger while focusing on the center of the bullseye
  • If I haven't taken the shot after saying center 3 times I need to put the damn gun down
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 1/11/2020, 11:08 pm

xman wrote:Process process process I keep reading and seeing that all over the place here in this forum could someone post with bullet points no pun intended the concept of process.  The way process is being posted now it is very fractured and not really conducive to reading and understanding thank you

Slow down.

Take a breath.

You literally didn't even break up your multiple questions with punctuation.

Take another breath.

Think about the parable of the old bull and the young bull, and think about how it may apply to yourself.

Take another breath.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike38 1/12/2020, 12:16 am

This is my shot process, good or bad, I repeat it in my mind before every shot of slow fire, and before each string of timed and rapid fire.

Slow (timed or rapid) fire target, putting holes in the X-ring.
Is my stance good? (Visually look down at my stance, is it on marks made on pavement?)
Is my grip good? (Visually look at grip, feel correct, trigger finger correct)
Deep inhale through nose while raising pistol above target, exhale from mouth while lowering, start applying pressure to trigger.
Front sight good? (Am I focused on front sight?)
Settle front sight at 6:00.
Smoooooooth trigger.
Front sight good?
Front sight, front sight, front sight.
Gun goes bang.

Time elapsed between the two (*) is 1 to 2 seconds.

If at any time during the slow fire shot process I have the slightest doubt, my mind drifts, or the answer is no, ABORT THE SHOT and start over.
Mike38
Mike38

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler 1/17/2020, 9:31 pm

Quote from Brian Zins 
Pick gun up 
Make Gun go bang 
Put gun down
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 1/18/2020, 7:04 am

First step in process:  

deleted:

CR

Last edited by CR10X on 1/18/2020, 2:32 pm; edited 2 times in total

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 1/18/2020, 7:35 am

Check out page 1-9 for a very basic example.
https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t5966-usmc-pistol-team-workbook
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 1/18/2020, 8:11 am

xman wrote:Process process process I keep reading and seeing that all over the place here in this forum could someone post with bullet points no pun intended the concept of process.  The way process is being posted now it is very fractured and not really conducive to reading and understanding thank you

I may be reading this wrong but I feel like when you ask about "the concept of process" you're sort of asking "what is a process and why are we so bent on using one - what does it do for us?"

The very basic idea behind a shot process is this: We are trying to put shot after shot in the same area on a target so in order to do that we want consistency in what we do. What ever we do for one shot, we have to do for every shot. Consistency is the breading grounds for that accuracy we're looking for - or at the very least it gives us a better chance of obtaining it. We see it for example in the expensive guns we have built for us, how they lock up tight and in the same way time after time. They're function is repeatable. Ours must be too. 

If you're asking for a shot process broken down into steps then many people here can provide you a breakdown of what they do for their shot process. But ultimately you will need to develop your own. It may include parts from other peoples process and maybe not in the same order but you will need to work up how you do things for you.
Tim:H11
Tim:H11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike38 1/18/2020, 9:37 am

I have a feeling, for me anyhow, running a shot process through my mind forces me to concentrate on the task at hand. That previous shot that was a 7, well a shot process before each and every slowfire shot helps me forget that bad shot, otherwise chances are real good I'll shoot another 7. Since I started with a mental list of a shot process, I have seen my slow fire score slowly inching upward. My slow fire scores are what's keeping me a sharpshooter. Once I overcome that, and I will, expert should come quick. Then master...…….
Mike38
Mike38

Back to top Go down

Post by xman 1/18/2020, 1:42 pm

So someone doesn’t like my avatar and another person my lack of punctuation well I use a voice activated composition app and the avatar works for me
xman
xman

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 1/18/2020, 2:31 pm

Sorry you are offended. I do not believe I said anything about not liking it.  I will remove my post.  

However, the most important part of any process you develop it that it contains the positive aspects of whatever you use to create a shot with the highest probability of resulting in a X.  Creating, developing and recognizing best mental approach to learning how to shoot an acceptable shot is the very first part of creating a workable shot process for any shooter.

Most respectfully, 

CR

Last edited by CR10X on 1/18/2020, 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by xman 1/18/2020, 2:47 pm

Actually you can keep the postop everybody benefits from everybody’s post I’m just a marksman I need every bit of help I can get
xman
xman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down