Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What do you guys aim at, when you visit the range?

+9
Mike38
Ed Hall
kjanracing
Wobbley
Oleg G
LenV
CrankyThunder
james r chapman
mikemyers
13 posters

Go down

What do you guys aim at, when you visit the range? Empty What do you guys aim at, when you visit the range?

Post by mikemyers Sat 18 Jan - 11:37

Presumably, to get better, one needs to practice, both live practice (at the range), and dry practice (at home).  If you're going to the range, I assume most people put something up to shoot at.  My question is what do each of you use for this?  I could elaborate, but that might influence what people will write, so I'll just leave it "open".

As a second part of that question, what are your goals?
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

What do you guys aim at, when you visit the range? Empty Re: What do you guys aim at, when you visit the range?

Post by james r chapman Sat 18 Jan - 11:51

Usually staples, sometimes pins or clips.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

What do you guys aim at, when you visit the range? Empty Re: What do you guys aim at, when you visit the range?

Post by CrankyThunder Sat 18 Jan - 11:55

Hi Mike:  

I usually shoot at a target or, more rarely, I will shoot at a blank sheet of paper.  

If I am shooting at a slow fire target, I will try for a high slow fire score, 94 or so.  

If I am shooting timed and rapid fire, I will shoot for a 100, 10x.  

Sometimes I will do the commands to fire and get the first shot off as the command to fire is given and only do one or two shots because I am concentrating on getting the first shot off quickly and a ten or a X. 

Sometimes I am at the range for fun (probably the reason I am there the moistest) and casually go through slow fire and keep track of my shots.  

A lot of times I will verify my zero just to maintain confidence in my equipment. 

And If I am really shooting good, I will bait the target with fruit juice or soda and nail the flies as they land on the target!  
Regards, 
Crankster

Last edited by CrankyThunder on Sat 18 Jan - 11:56; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : misspellings added to verify authorship by engineer)
CrankyThunder
CrankyThunder

http://www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Sat 18 Jan - 12:02

I usually set up 4 targets on same frame. Two reduced 25 yd sf targets and two t/rf target centers. That lets me shoot 2 national match courses before heading down range. If I started with .22s I can fire CF right over the top of them and then .45 on top of that. Easy to score with the scope. Doing it that way I can put 180 rds down range before walking down and changing targets. The walking is the hard part. The shooting is fun. The other benefit of training this way is your not disrupting the entire line to change targets every 10 rds.
  My goal is to run out of ammo before I run out of get up and go. Very Happy

All SF on these pictures but you get the idea of how its done.
What do you guys aim at, when you visit the range? Dscf0626
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G Sat 18 Jan - 13:30

For me, range time is divided into several categories:

1. Training. Set goals for each training session. Mainly focusing on basic fundamentals, especially as they apply to sustained fire. My weakest link right now is rapid fire, mainly due to inconsistent trigger operation. Therefore, I train mostly the trigger operation for sustained fire, using two-shot drills. The goal is to achieve consistent trigger press, which is deliberate, uninterrupted with ever-increasing pressure, as well as recoil management for the next shot. To accomplish my goals, I aim at my turning target stand with the target at the appropriate distance - currently 50 feet, since my next matches in the Spring will be shot at 50 feet. This part involves a lot of observation and taking mental or written notes on performance.

2. Practice. Before an important match, I will practice at the range, shooting a simulated match of shorter duration. Usually a 600 points .22 match and a 600 points .45 match. All conditions are like at a real match, including range commands, target scoring and alibis. I also practice mental aspects of the sport, just as I would apply them at a real match. During practice I aim and shoot at the targets, appropriate to the upcoming match.

3. Verifying equipment functionality, ammo, and sights zero settings. Goals are to confirm that the equipment is in working order and functions with selected ammo and that pistols are correctly zeroed in.

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Oleg.
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Sat 18 Jan - 18:23

I do like LenV, except I do 3 targets, one SF and two T&R centers.  That way I can shoot a 600 in an hour between target changes.  Our range has hourly target changes.

When I’m working on some element of the game, I put up 4 centers to work on that.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 18 Jan - 20:02

My local range where I do most of my practise is only 15 yards, outdoor, but I'm usually alone or just one or two others. We have light wooden target frames with cardboard backers which slide into the frames. I have found that I can squeeze three standard 50ft targets across the width if I overlap them slightly and can easily get three vertically, but I prefer to fold three RF targets so that I can position the blacks roughly equidistant horizontally and vertically. Giving me 9 targets up at a time. Like this:-
What do you guys aim at, when you visit the range? Img_2253
I've been told to concentrate on Slow Fire and sometimes just put up all SF targets and shoot those, but I do like practising full 900/2700 and most often do that. Using the Bullseye timer app on my phone for TF/RF.
I typically bring the frame back in after each 900, score and mark up the target, take a photo for my record, then staple fresh targets over. I have found that a full 2700 takes a bit more than 2 hours, if no interruptions.
I got into the habit of shooting 3 SF, then 3 TF, then 3 RF, but recently realised that was not ideal, so I now try to follow the standard course of fire; 2 SF, NMC, 2 TF, 2 RF.

If I'm at the club where I can practise at 25/50yds I staple as many repair centers as I can on the target frames - usually 6 - so that I don't have to interrupt others too often. I then follow same sequence as Len mentioned, start with 22 then over-shoot with progressively larger calibers. If possible I will also put up frames at both 50 and 25 yards to save time (slightly staggered so that I can shoot both from one position with minor scope adjustment).

My focus is always on tight groups and minimising flyers. For TF/RF I try to establish a very consistent rhythm of breathing, gun raising and shooting. The better my rhythm, the better I shoot.

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Sat 18 Jan - 21:41

I guess I'm on a similar path, using B-8 repair centers usually at 25 yards, shooting 10 rounds at each, and scoring all of them.  Then I decided to follow another idea posted here in the forum, shooting as many rounds at each B-8 as needed, until ten holes were in the 10-ring,( or I ran out of patience or ammo).

Brian Zins wrote this to me yesterday, which I plan to try once I'm home:

Brian:
"I also use a training target which is nothing more than a dot the same size as the 9 ring which I render to often as just the dot down range. In order to get people to stop thinking about score and just look at shooting in the middle of the black dot. "

He's certainly right about "score", as for one or two years now, that's most of what I was thinking about.  I'm going to try it his way when I return.

I think most of you guys are way beyond me, and you're trying to perfect your performance.  I'd like to catch up, at least a little.  But I think I need to improve the basics (fundamentals) before I'm going to be able to perfect anything.  As to what you're all doing, wow.  My thoughts - very professional training.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by kjanracing Sat 18 Jan - 21:54

A lot of times I turn the target around so I’m shooting a blank sheet of paper.  I’m working on area aiming and trigger control, trying to shoot my smallest group. I’m not concerned with score here. But I do turn the target around to see what I would have scored. I try to replicate that process and feel when I am at a match and am shooting for score.
kjanracing
kjanracing

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Sat 18 Jan - 23:23

I’m going to give this gizmo a try.  Wi-Fi linked to a tablet.  Take snapshots of every slowfire shot, videos of every sustained fire string.  Maybe even use it in some matches.

https://www.shootingmadeeasy.com/spot_shot/
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Sun 19 Jan - 4:06

What do people who reach "high master" do to stay on top of their game?
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall Sun 19 Jan - 8:10

Progressive drill and USMC Workbook.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike38 Sun 19 Jan - 10:27

I rarely use an official target with scoring rings while training. I use a "training target" that has the black bullseye, but no scoring rings. 20-30 shots per target, if all are in the black, I had a good target. If all are in or very close to what would be the 10 ring, I had an excellent target. I don't concern myself with scores while training, it just throws me off. The holes outside the black, I try to determine what I did wrong and how to improve it.
Mike38
Mike38

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Sun 19 Jan - 10:40

(Very similar to what Brian wrote me.)  

You guys tell me to ignore any bad shots.  I found that difficult to do, but will continue to try.  Not scoring will make it easier.  I like the idea of continuing to shoot until there are 10 holes in the 9-ring sized bull.   ....I'll be home in four days!
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Sun 19 Jan - 11:06

My goal even if I shoot at the hillside is to see in the sight a good shot, and to have a head that has no stinkin thinkin.  A lot of factors go into that.  Especially the no thinking part.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigtrout Sun 19 Jan - 11:12

I use 9 inch uncoated paper plates with a centered ink black X for my FF3 POA, and a centered ink red dot for my 2-6X scope.  I made a stencil for each and use chisel point Sharpies.
Bigtrout
Bigtrout

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Tue 21 Jan - 20:48

Urgh, he came out to see what all the noise was about. Evil or Very Mad

What do you guys aim at, when you visit the range? Screen26
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Tue 21 Jan - 20:57

Shocked
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 243winxb Fri 24 Jan - 8:04

NRA targets at the correct distance, for score.  Iron sights. 6 Oclock hold.

At times i will shot the 45 acp at 25 yards &  use a  50 foot target.  Its a great day when all are in the black.  Try it slow, timed and rapid. 
Just trying to hit black, not scoring it.
243winxb
243winxb

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike M. Fri 24 Jan - 15:44

Targets!  (obviously)

More seriously, my primary training is for International Muzzleloading pistol events.  And the range where I shoot at has free-standing target holders and just enough room to shoot 25 meters, so I shoot on B-17 repair centers.  I wish they hadn't turned the 50-yard line into yet another pit for the Tactikewl Tommies to play in.

Mike M.

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Fri 24 Jan - 18:51

Jack H wrote:My goal even if I shoot at the hillside is to see in the sight a good shot, and to have a head that has no stinkin thinkin.  A lot of factors go into that.  Especially the no thinking part.
How do you accomplish that?  Repetition, until there's no more need to think?
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down