Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Red dot sights,. Why ultra dot?

+3
Steve B
jglenn21
Dtdk
7 posters

Go down

Red dot sights,. Why ultra dot? Empty Red dot sights,. Why ultra dot?

Post by Dtdk Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:42 pm

I see a lot of people here use tube style red dots. Altar. Of course the very popular choice. Why is it that there seems to be fewer people using reflex sights like cmore?

I am curious why this is, as C-more is the most common sight in the action pistol games such as ipsc or steel challenge.

I would think the almost unlimited fine adjustment on the C-more would make it ideal for bullseye.

Dtdk

Back to top Go down

Red dot sights,. Why ultra dot? Empty Re: Red dot sights,. Why ultra dot?

Post by jglenn21 Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:44 pm

Generally the tube sights are easier to pickup the dot verses a relex.. for most
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve B Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:35 pm

I believe the reflex sights have a greater issue with parallax than the tube sights.  Personally, I prefer Aimpoint having sold all my UDs years ago.

Steve B

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:57 pm

Steve B wrote:Personally, I prefer Aimpoint having sold all my UDs years ago.
+1 on the Aimpoint but I have a couple of UD's left.
IMHO a tube sight is superior for precision shooting, it helps you center on the target because of your subconscious desire for symmetry.  Round bull in a round tube with a round dot.
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Vociferous Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:41 am

I have both UDs and Aimpoints. The pro for UD? Cost. For 1/2 to 1/3rd the price, you get a good scope. Also, less click adjustments. The big UD con? Negative magnification (the target looks slightly smaller). YMMV
PC
Vociferous
Vociferous

Back to top Go down

Post by CrankyThunder Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:51 am

Good Morning:

I personally own a number of red dots, both the reflex and the tube style types.  I also own a couple aimpoints and the C-More railway sight.

Recently, I switched from a Aimpoint H1 to a Trijicon RMR single lens reflex sight.  I think that the single lens on the reflex sight is giving less distortion on the red dot as opposed to the two or three lenses in a tube style sight.  While I might be the only shooter on the bullseye line not shooting with a tube style sight, I do recommend them for newby shooters since they are easier to recover with, especially in timed and rapid fire.  Its a bit different in the shoot and scoot disciplines, where you pick up the dot as you are transitioning from target to target.  

Since I own a C-More, I can comment expressly on this sight with regards to bullseye.  The advantages of a C-More sight is that the dot is the most purest dot I have ever seen.  
There are two disadvantages to the C-More sight as I have tried them in bullseye.  

The first is that the zeroing adjustments are simply terrible.  In bullseye, we are constantly adjusting for different ranges, 50 foot, 25 yards, and 50 yards, and most competitors have a cheat sheet taped to their box with the number of clicks to adjust from target to target.  The C-More sight, while it has some indicators manufactured into the housing, the adjustments are friction based with no clicks and thus it is difficult to make adjustements from 50 foot to 50 yards consistently.  Furthermore, there is a terrible amount of slop in the adjustments whereas you have to always make the adjustment the same direction.  For example, since I take the slop out clockwise (like most people), If I have to make a adjustment 4 clicks CC, the C-More has about 8 MOA (clicks) of slop so I have to go CC 12 clicks, and then Clockwise 8 clicks.  All the aimpoints and ultradots I have used have zero slop. 

Secondly, the C-More railway sight is simply mounted too high above the barrel for bullseye shooting.  this exaggerates the adjustments when going from 50 foot to 50 yards but it is rediculus the amount of zeroing required for a simple change from the long line to the short line.  You can turn it on the side and mount it closer to the barrel but the two sideways mounts available do not position the sight directly above the barrel and thus introduces windage errors when re zeroing for different distances.  If you have one distance you can set the C-More and get it zeroed and forget about it and that is great but I just does not work for bullseye. 

Regards, 
Crankster
CrankyThunder
CrankyThunder

http://www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dtdk Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:58 pm

Good point about changing ranges.  Setting up the C-more is a nightmare, but everything else is awesome.

Dtdk

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:35 pm

Why Ultradot? Because Aimpoint doesn't make a 1" tube scope anymore.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down