Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VhitaVuori N 310

+5
RJP
Aprilian
James Hensler
Steve B
Tom Bieri
9 posters

Go down

VhitaVuori N 310 Empty VhitaVuori N 310

Post by Tom Bieri 1/29/2020, 6:24 am

I have always been a huge fan of VhitaVuori powder for its superb accuracy and clean burning characteristics. However the last order I made of N 310 is not so clean. There are large flakes of residue everywhere! I was wondering if anyone else has had similar experience. The load recipe is the same as I have always used.

Thanks Tom Bieri

Tom Bieri

Back to top Go down

VhitaVuori N 310 Empty Re: VhitaVuori N 310

Post by Steve B 1/29/2020, 7:57 pm

What primer are you using?  I found large flakes when using up Federal primers.  After switching back to Winchester the problem disappeared.

Steve B

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom Bieri 1/29/2020, 9:00 pm

I have shot tens of thousands of remington 2 1/2 with this powder never had a problem till now...also tried cci with same result..I have tried to post a photo with no luck these flakes are very large.

Tom Bieri

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler 1/31/2020, 3:03 pm

VhitaVuori N 310 B4b73110
The one sample on top is from a new lbs that I bought today and opened it to compare! The sample on the bottom is 6-8 months old and the air has made it turn a little brown
They look like the same size wise to me

I will take some pics after shooting over a white towel
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian 2/1/2020, 4:09 pm

I get it occasionally.  Today was one. 
VhitaVuori N 310 6gnOTPE
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by RJP 2/1/2020, 7:29 pm

I got those light yellow unburnt flakes with the last batch of VV N310. I posted pictures here on the forum a few years ago. I had so much unburnt powder, it jambed up my revolver, if you can imagine that. I also sent an e-mail to VV and got a reply saying nothing.

I do not use any VV powders anymore. They should burn with any primer. Something is wrong here and VV is playing dumb. VV can go to blazes, if you know what I mean.

I now use Noble Sport BA 10. Clean, accurate and consistent. That is all I want.

RJP

Back to top Go down

Post by apipeguy 2/2/2020, 8:38 am

I switched to Vihtavuori a couple years ago and one of the main reasons was that it was much cleaner burning. The N-310 also meters extremely well.

This week I detail stripped my P-II after firing around 500 rounds over the past month without a cleaning at all. I was surprised at how dirty the gun was. Was using some lower powered rounds just shooting bullseye at 50’ indoors but it was filthy. Loaded up some higher velocity rounds to test on Tuesday and will field strip and inspect to see if any difference in the dirtiness of the gun.

I have also noticed a slightly different odor to the smell of the burnt powder, but that could just be me.
apipeguy
apipeguy

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b 2/2/2020, 9:29 pm

N310 does have a smell that is recognizable. I then compound that by using coated bullets so I am an olifactory mess on the line.

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom Bieri 2/3/2020, 10:37 am

Thanks for the replies the photo of the flakes is similar to what I am experiencing with the flakes being bigger I tried to post a photo again and got a message exceed total storage space. so I guess I am not going to be able to post the picture. VV powder has always been my go to powder and I have shot many pounds of it of different numbers (at least 20 pounds of N310) and never seen this before. I will contact Nammo and see what they have to say.

Tom

Tom Bieri

Back to top Go down

Post by DanQ 2/3/2020, 10:11 pm

I'm curious about crimp and projectile choice.  I had flakes with my 185 JHP load and increased the charge by .1 and slightly increased the crimp on my lead (both 200 gr SWC and 180 gr SWC Brazos) to around .463 if I recall correctly.  

It did take some tweaks and some advice from some masters and my gunsmith, but I trust my loads implicitly.  The only times I question N310 is when it's cold out.  

Test different load data with YOUR gun and see what works.  What works for some may not work in others.  

Think center, move center, shoot center.  And enjoy!

DanQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigtrout 2/4/2020, 7:24 am

Tom Bieri wrote:I tried to post a photo again and got a message exceed total storage space. so I guess I am not going to be able to post the picture. 

Tom
Tom, try searching "photo size reduction" online.  It's free and will allow you to reduce the photo you choose from the prompts.  That was the only way i've been able to post photos.
Bigtrout
Bigtrout

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down