Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Issue with my Marvel firing pin replacement

5 posters

Go down

Issue with my Marvel firing pin replacement Empty Issue with my Marvel firing pin replacement

Post by weber1b 1/31/2020, 8:58 pm

The firing pin broke in my Marvel during a match last night. Doing the replacement tonight but am having a problem. I have the firing pin block out but I can't get the pin that holds the firing pin back to drift out. What the heck am I doing wrong? I am hoping to shoot this tomorrow so need some response tonight for that. If not I'll shoot my EIC gun. Any thoughts?

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Issue with my Marvel firing pin replacement Empty Re: Issue with my Marvel firing pin replacement

Post by Jon Eulette 1/31/2020, 9:02 pm

Have you put the firing pin block into a vise to hold it while you drive it out? I believe the pin can be drifted either direction. Normally pretty easy.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Issue with my Marvel firing pin replacement Empty Re: Issue with my Marvel firing pin replacement

Post by weber1b 1/31/2020, 9:04 pm

I have been holding it on a wood block with a hole for the pin to drift into. I was thinking it should move pretty easy hence my frustration.

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b 1/31/2020, 9:05 pm

I know my punch is thin enough because I have another block but not another pin.

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b 1/31/2020, 9:07 pm

I have a vice but it is not set up. I think I need to go that direction.

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by Olde Pilot 1/31/2020, 9:10 pm

Pin should come out easily. Have you tried pushing out in both directions? Mine comes out easily in one or the other directions but I don't remember which. You should not need to punch unless Marvel has changed recently.

Olde Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b 1/31/2020, 9:14 pm

I recall it being much easier than this. I might just soak it in some wd40 and then try again. It just does not want to move in either direction.

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b 1/31/2020, 9:14 pm

At this point, heading for my back up gun for tomorrow.

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b 1/31/2020, 9:15 pm

Appreciate the input though guys.

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 1/31/2020, 11:55 pm

You need to put it on steel like your vice.  Open the jaws just enough to allow the pin to pass and give it a good rap with a steel hammer using the right size (3/32) steel punch.

I have had pins move with the first rap using a vise that wouldn't budge using a gunsmith bench block made from hard resin.
- Dave
I have a 2" maple bench top and sometimes that has too much rebound and I have to use the vise.

Last edited by dronning on 2/1/2020, 9:18 am; edited 2 times in total
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 2/1/2020, 7:19 am

You will generally need a steel vise, a super short "starting" pin punch exactly the right size and a big ass hammer and a little patience to get that little pin to move the first time you replace one.  I'm sure there are one or two that will come out "easily" as noted above, but I never got that lucky!  I may have exaggerated a little, but .....

It will eventually come out. 

Make sure the replacement is oriented correctly before replacing.  If the pin is that tight, it will be hard to feel if its impacting the new firing pin outside of the pin slot.

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b 2/2/2020, 9:27 pm

Got the pin out. Started it with a spring loaded pin punch. Once it got it started I was able to finish it. I then got diverted and have not cleaned up everything and started the re-assembly. that will be for tomorrow night now. Once again, thanks everyone for your suggestions.

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down