Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

On the mend

4 posters

Go down

On the mend Empty On the mend

Post by adminbot1911 Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:41 am

Just wanted to check in after a couple of months off the forum while recovering from shoulder surgery.

The doctor severed my biceps tendon, and anchored it at a lower point into a hole drilled in my humerus.  A repair to a long ago injured and reinjured labrum.

For the first 7 or 8 weeks I couldn't roll my ball in its socket.  The shoulder blade would rotate but I'd look like John McCain did when he'd wave due to lack of mobility.

Over the last few weeks things have loosened up quite a bit and I hope to start dry firing with the right hand before too long.  Goal is to shoot my first competition late March through, though that may be a little aggressive.  

Thanks to all that have supported me with advice and information to this point and hopefully will be in shooting shape before I move overseas this summer.
adminbot1911
adminbot1911

Back to top Go down

On the mend Empty Re: On the mend

Post by dapduh2 Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:50 am

Have you thought about learning to shoot offhanded while you recover? It may be frustrating at first but you still get to toe the line and shoot and I bet it improves you’re shooting overall. I’ve actually started dry firing left handed some recently and it’s interesting to say the least.
dapduh2
dapduh2

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:01 am

Several shooters that go to the same matches I do have shot left handed while healing and done very well.  It's worth a try.
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:32 pm

+1 to shooting with the other hand. I've been doing it since October for a similar reason.

It's fun, and teaches you a lot. Your wiser hand will teach your newbie hand, in effect you'll be your own coach. I'm certain my triggering has improved overall.

If it's an extended recovery like mine, consider buying a mirror-image grip. Rink will sell you one that's rotated 7 degrees, which points the gun in line with the opposite eye so you don't have to change eyes or tweak your wrist. Just move your feet to rotate your stance.

The very best thing about it is the look on your shooting buddies' faces when you beat them offhanded. Ok, that takes a while.
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum