Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What years did Red Dots come around?

+6
xringdave
dronning
Jon Eulette
JKR
jglenn21
Tim:H11
10 posters

Go down

What years did Red Dots come around?  Empty What years did Red Dots come around?

Post by Tim:H11 Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:45 am

When did red dot sights start to replace iron sights as the normal equipment? What span of years did this transition take place?

Back to top Go down

What years did Red Dots come around?  Empty Re: What years did Red Dots come around?

Post by jglenn21 Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:49 am

Somewhere before 1980 Jason.. 1980 was the 1st time Perry was won with one if memory serves. Joseph Pascarella

Last edited by jglenn21 on Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

What years did Red Dots come around?  Empty Re: What years did Red Dots come around?

Post by jglenn21 Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:52 am

won with an Oxford dot and grip mount.
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by JKR Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:40 pm

Before putting all my efforts to high power rifle, I dabbled a bit with bullseye pistol. That was 1987. At that time most of the local league shooters were still using irons. A couple used handgun scopes and a couple used Weaver Quick Points. I think the Aimpoint 1000 came out around that time. It as small and low and became popular for pistol. From there on dot sights developed quickly I think. 
One of the shooters I shot with back then is still using his Quik Point on his 22. If you think an Aimpoint 9000 is big!

JKR

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:20 pm

My mentor, the late Bob Brown was using Bushnell Phantom optic in the late 1960's on his Browning Medalist .22 pistol. I can't remember if he was using on his 45 or not. So optics have been around for a while.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:29 pm

FYI - introduced in 1970's

dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:49 pm

Had one of those quik points on my 1100 for shotgun matches back then. Still have it
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by xringdave Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:43 pm

Used a Mark 3 in about 1983-84.
xringdave
xringdave

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:47 pm

jglenn21 wrote:Somewhere before 1980 Jason.. 1980 was the 1st time Perry was won with one if memory serves. Joseph Pascarella
I shot a 2700 at Ft. Sam Houston around the very late 70's or very early 80's. The All Army Reserve pistol team was there and Pascarella was there with the All Guard Team. His Oxford sight drew a lot of attention from some of the other top shooters. No other shooter used an electronic sight at that match. I think that the Aimpoint started to become popular during the 1982 National Pistol Matches when a few top shooters had them on their pistols.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by PMcfall Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:29 am

If memory serves, Pascerella won the National Championship in 1981 using a red dot.  It got everyones attention and a lot of us starting gearing up to shoot dots.  Most used Aimpoints on grip mounts and they were very heavy plus the grip mount placed it awkwardly high above bore line.  Ultra Dot entered the game shortly thereafter and was much lighter so we could mount them on the slide.  That was a much better alternative and the rest is history.
Phil
PMcfall
PMcfall

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:09 am

Meet Joe
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:40 am

james r chapman wrote:Meet Joe
Thanks for the memories. This was before Joe showed his dark side. I enjoyed the article about Bill Toney. Besides being a former National Pistol Champion in bullseye pistol, he excelled in PPC. He was Chief Patrol Agent of the U.S. Border Patrol Del Rio Sector before my time. When I was detailed to the radio room, I did get to hear some great stories from the janitor who was around when Toney was Chief. I found out through others that the janitor, was a disabled vet from WWI (mustard gas).
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:27 am

BE Mike wrote:This was before Joe showed his dark side.

There are certainly some stories. The ones that I've heard have been second- or third-hand, so I won't repeat them in public.

That aside, among Pascarella, Lenardson, and Zins, there sure are a lot of Ohio boys who have won the Harrison Trophy over the last 40 years. That's not even claiming Bonnie or Jim Laughing
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:38 am

That was a great read, and I only skimmed it. Pretty sure I saw a young Jim Chapman in there holding a scattergun Laughing

That takes me back to my days of being a pre-teen, bored out of my skull at the shooting range, reading whatever was on the tables.

Mrs. Bickar is gonna be asking me, "What are you reading?" for a while...
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:10 am

john bickar wrote:

That was a great read, and I only skimmed it. Pretty sure I saw a young Jim Chapman in there holding a scattergun Laughing

That takes me back to my days of being a pre-teen, bored out of my skull at the shooting range, reading whatever was on the tables.

Mrs. Bickar is gonna be asking me, "What are you reading?" for a while...
LOL
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:44 am

Thank you for the link James! I love reading older articles of shooters from before my time. Way cool!

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:38 am

john bickar wrote:
BE Mike wrote:This was before Joe showed his dark side.

There are certainly some stories. The ones that I've heard have been second- or third-hand, so I won't repeat them in public.

That aside, among Pascarella, Lenardson, and Zins, there sure are a lot of Ohio boys who have won the Harrison Trophy over the last 40 years. That's not even claiming Bonnie or Jim Laughing
Joe was living in New Mexico for some time.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down