Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Snap Caps designed for use in 22 rimfire guns.

5 posters

Go down

Snap Caps designed for use in 22 rimfire guns. Empty Snap Caps designed for use in 22 rimfire guns.

Post by mikemyers Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:28 pm

When I started dry-firing my S&W Model 17-5 revolver, I was under the (apparently incorrect) assumption that it was safe to dry-fire this gun.  In doing some searches, apparently that is not always true for revolvers.  On my other guns, I use "snap caps", which weren't available for 22.  I found "dummy rounds" which served the same purpose, but were made of metal, so they quickly developed "dents".  In the forum it was recommended that to save money, there are some inexpensive items one can buy at a hardware store, that serve the same purpose.

While searching for something unrelated to this on Amazon, I found these.  From very little use so far, they seem to mostly absorb most of the impact, then spring back to the original shape.  I thought I would pass this on for others looking for a better way to dry-fire a 22 rimfire.

https://www.amazon.com/Tipton-Snap-Caps-22-LR/dp/B0048KFHI8/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=22+snap+caps&qid=1584808061&sr=8-2

Snap Caps designed for use in 22 rimfire guns. Img_9410
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Snap Caps designed for use in 22 rimfire guns. Empty Re: Snap Caps designed for use in 22 rimfire guns.

Post by SW-52 Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:12 pm

mikemyers wrote:When I started dry-firing my S&W Model 17-5 revolver, I was under the (apparently incorrect) assumption that it was safe to dry-fire this gun.  In doing some searches, apparently that is not always true for revolvers.  On my other guns, I use "snap caps", which weren't available for 22.  I found "dummy rounds" which served the same purpose, but were made of metal, so they quickly developed "dents".  In the forum it was recommended that to save money, there are some inexpensive items one can buy at a hardware store, that serve the same purpose.

While searching for something unrelated to this on Amazon, I found these.  From very little use so far, they seem to mostly absorb most of the impact, then spring back to the original shape.  I thought I would pass this on for others looking for a better way to dry-fire a 22 rimfire.

https://www.amazon.com/Tipton-Snap-Caps-22-LR/dp/B0048KFHI8/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=22+snap+caps&qid=1584808061&sr=8-2

Snap Caps designed for use in 22 rimfire guns. Img_9410
not use in High Standard, i prefer cut credit card pieces and dry fire without problem. the high standard firing ping is little long and may cause damage.
SW-52
SW-52

Back to top Go down

Snap Caps designed for use in 22 rimfire guns. Empty Re: Snap Caps designed for use in 22 rimfire guns.

Post by mikemyers Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:39 pm

Regarding "not use in High Standard, i prefer cut credit card pieces and dry fire without problem. the high standard firing ping is little long and may cause damage.", the new High Standard X-Series guns are designed to be able to be dry-fired with no damage to the gun according to Alan Aronstein.  As for older high standards - you are correct.

As to my old Victor that I got from Roddy Toyota, I bought the chamber plugs he recommended, but with them in place, the gun will not "fire".  If the slide doesn't go all the way forward, and is stopped by the chamber plug, the gun is useless for dry-firing.  Would welcome advice on how to get around this limitation safely.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by robert84010 Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:57 pm

Mike,
you know whats gonna happen if you dryfire your HS as much as you should? You will break a firing pin or damage something else. 
I never dryfired my HS, just my hardball gun. Took my 22 scores as they came because they didn't mean anything while chasing leg points. Think about it, the 45 is where the work needs to be done, the 22 will improve as a result. By the time is was shooting 810 with a hardball gun my 22 scores were consistent 850's. With my HS or Marvel on the hardball lower. 

Keep It Simple S.

robert84010

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:21 pm

Cut a refrigerator card
Snap Caps designed for use in 22 rimfire guns. Img-0112
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by oldsalt444 Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:22 pm

Save your money.  Dry wall plastic anchors are more durable and much cheaper.  

https://www.homedepot.com/p/4-6-x-7-8-in-Yellow-Ribbed-Plastic-Anchor-with-Pan-Head-Combo-Drive-Screw-50-Pieces-804122/204273419
oldsalt444
oldsalt444

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:30 pm

My experience with drywall anchors is they are too soft and are cut or smashed through becoming useless with just a couple dryfires. 

High Standard firing pins need to be checked and fit if needed to not reach the breech.  I am not sure of pin hardness issues if you shorten the firing pin.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:18 pm

robert84010 wrote:Mike,
you know whats gonna happen if you dryfire your HS as much as you should? You will break a firing pin or damage something else. 
I never dryfired my HS, just my hardball gun. Took my 22 scores as they came because they didn't mean anything while chasing leg points. Think about it, the 45 is where the work needs to be done, the 22 will improve as a result. By the time is was shooting 810 with a hardball gun my 22 scores were consistent 850's. With my HS or Marvel on the hardball lower. 

Keep It Simple S.
Robert, Alan Aronstein assured me that the X-Series gun I got from him can be dry-fired as much as I want, without causing any damage.  If it did create a problem, which I don't expect, his lifetime warranty will cover it.  

I'm not going to 2700 matches as you guys do, I'm in effect going to a 900 match, and I can use any gun I want.  

If I get locked in my home for the next year, which is entirely possible, the ONLY firing I will get to do is dry-firing.  I have two decent 45 wad guns, both built by Dave Salyer, and I checked them out yesterday.  At some point I expect to be using one of them, for whatever it is I'm allowed to do.  

I have no interest in saving a few cents by using wall anchors.  It's meaningless, to me at least.  The snap caps are something I've wanted for years, but I could never find them until now.  

In the meantime, I'm very much enjoying myself shooting a revolver.  I can dry-fire it for hours at night, verifying that the sights remain lined up as I dry-fire.  With my two target revolvers, that's now easy.  With my old Model 28, it's more difficult, and with my even older "Dirty Harry" 44, it's even more difficult.  Maybe I'll dry-fire the 44 for a while, thinking that if I can keep that gun steady when I fire, my other guns will be even easier to control.

Added later - maybe the snap caps will work, or maybe they'll fall apart.  Will post the results either way, after using them for a while.  I suppose eventually they will wear out or break.

Last edited by mikemyers on Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added the last sentence about how long they may (not) last.)
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by oldsalt444 Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:37 pm

You want dry wall anchors made of polypropylene.  Mine have a sort of translucent yellow appearance.  Other plastics might not hold up as well.
oldsalt444
oldsalt444

Back to top Go down

Post by SW-52 Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:08 am

oldsalt444 wrote:Save your money.  Dry wall plastic anchors are more durable and much cheaper.  

https://www.homedepot.com/p/4-6-x-7-8-in-Yellow-Ribbed-Plastic-Anchor-with-Pan-Head-Combo-Drive-Screw-50-Pieces-804122/204273419
Work nice in marvel conversion but not in high standard. They are very nice.
SW-52
SW-52

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down