Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aftermarket or "custom" PISTOL barrels--which are the very best?

+5
10sandxs
jglenn21
Larry2520
troystaten
saidentary
9 posters

Go down

Aftermarket or "custom" PISTOL barrels--which are the very best? Empty Aftermarket or "custom" PISTOL barrels--which are the very best?

Post by saidentary Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:22 am

Who are some of the very best manufacturers of aftermarket/custom barrels for target pistols?  Preferably something hand lapped.  

Caliber: In order of interest to me: 1) 22 long rifle  
                                                   2) 9 mm (Luger/Parabellum)
                                                   3) 38 special             
                                                   4) 357 magnum   (I realize that 38 special/357 magnum are often considered interchangeable but have also heard that for some guns with the very tightest tolerances they are not. I'm no expert.)
                                                   5) 45 caliber 

Type of pistol: Semiautomatic and revolver.

Thanks.

saidentary

Back to top Go down

Aftermarket or "custom" PISTOL barrels--which are the very best? Empty Re: Aftermarket or "custom" PISTOL barrels--which are the very best?

Post by troystaten Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:16 pm

I have a Cart barrel on my 45 1911, shoots better than I do.  The bore finish is very clean.

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Aftermarket or "custom" PISTOL barrels--which are the very best? Empty Re: Aftermarket or "custom" PISTOL barrels--which are the very best?

Post by Larry2520 Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:56 pm

I built a 9mm on a 1911 frame and used a KKM barrel and am very impressed with it. I heard the AMU use a 1/32 twist but I wanted to try a 1/24. Unfortunately they didn't have one so I settled on the 1/32. After I tried it I wished I had tried one of their 45 barrels. I like a lot of others run a Kart in my 45's and it is a very good barrel. That's why a lot use them

Larry2520

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:02 pm

Kart makes a great barrel especially for the price but do not dismiss the KKM 45 barrels.. they are my favorites..
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sandxs Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:20 am

KKM is a great company and thier barrels have shot well in several of the guns I've built.
I recently had an "oh poop" moment. My barrel fitting fixture wasnt set right and I miscut the link lug legs. As this gun is for me, my plan was to weld them up and re cut so I called KKM to ask about alloy etc. I left a message and an hour later, luke, the owner called me and offered/insisted on sending me a new barrel FREE OF CHARGE. I didnt feel right as it was my mistake, so we negotiated that I'd pay at least materials.

I've never had to negotiate paying for something I screwed up before, but after having to do so, they've made me a customer for life.

10sandxs

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:39 am

We've welded a few.up. will look and see what we've used.. nothing too fancy I'm sure.

jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:07 am

FYI
Accuracy X uses KKM in .45
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:22 am

We used er410 to tig up KKMs.. I'm no expert so I'm sure I asked a welder friend of mine.. think KKM uses 416 for their barrels.
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sandxs Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:34 am

jglenn21 wrote:We used er410 to tig up KKMs..  I'm no expert so I'm sure I asked a welder friend of mine.. think KKM uses 416 for their barrels.
thanks much... I've got a guy for the welding, now just need to get some rod.

10sandxs

Back to top Go down

Post by saidentary Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:33 pm

Thanks to all of those who've replied so far.  I've bookmarked 2 sites already.

saidentary

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:05 am

As far as 22 barrels. Shilen has a well deserved reputation of excellent 22 barrels. Early Marvel conversions used them and today I believe Clark still uses their blanks for it's smith 41 barrels. Lother-Walther makes excellent 22 blanks used by several smiths to reline pistols.
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokinNJokin Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:27 am

I'm a die hard KKM fan. If they offer a barrel for a gun I own, I buy it. Customer service is unbeatable. The barrels might as well be space station parts as far as quality goes.

SmokinNJokin

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:43 am

If I needed a match .22 barrel, I'd probably send a pistol off to Alex Hamilton to have the barrel relined.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:10 pm

The best Ransom tested 22 barrel I have is one made from a Fedderson blank
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down