Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can different recoil Spring weights affect accuracy?

+2
bruce martindale
mhayford45
6 posters

Go down

Can different recoil Spring weights affect accuracy?  Empty Can different recoil Spring weights affect accuracy?

Post by mhayford45 4/8/2020, 11:29 am

Inquiring minds want to know....

mhayford45

Back to top Go down

Can different recoil Spring weights affect accuracy?  Empty Re: Can different recoil Spring weights affect accuracy?

Post by bruce martindale 4/8/2020, 11:55 am

That's a good question, since the recoil, main, a balance between the sear spring leaves are all interdependent. There is also the matter of lockup and stop pin friction.  

I have my theory (but it's truely an art )but I don't build many guns. Our board of distinguished smiths will surely comment further

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Can different recoil Spring weights affect accuracy?  Empty Re: Can different recoil Spring weights affect accuracy?

Post by Dr.Don 4/8/2020, 12:00 pm

Recoil spring needs to be strong enough to hold it in battery well. That’s why springs lighter than 10 lb can be troublesome on 45’s. If it’s not held in battery reliably accuracy can suffer.
Dr.Don
Dr.Don

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler 4/8/2020, 12:11 pm

Dr.Don wrote:Recoil spring needs to be strong enough to hold it in battery well. That’s why springs lighter than 10 lb can be troublesome on 45’s. If it’s not held in battery reliably accuracy can suffer.
Bingo +1 what Doc said! It the bouncing effect
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 4/8/2020, 12:48 pm

Greetings,

Long ago, I was testing a 1911 45 ACP with 230 Match Ball in the Random Rest.

I was getting groups 2" wide by 6" tall at 50 yards.

Replaced the recoil spring with a stiffer one and groups became 2" x 2".

Theory is the slide was moving back and the barrel link pulling the barrel down too soon.

With the heavier spring, the gun functioned fine.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo 4/10/2020, 1:18 pm

The heavier the better and regular springs not variable. I found a big difference in accuracy between #10 and #12 when I was running slide mounted scopes. I would only run #10s in winter. 

I also write the weight of the spring on a piece tape and put it on the inside of the grip panel so I know what spring I am running. When not in use I tag them. 

I change my recoil springs every 3000 rounds.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down