Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

help me understand Gunbroker

+4
John Dervis
mpolans
zanemoseley
SMBeyer
8 posters

Go down

help me understand Gunbroker Empty help me understand Gunbroker

Post by SMBeyer Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:46 pm

Two things that are similar on Gunbroker that I dont understand:

1. NO RESERVE!... minimum bid $1650.00.  Uhm isn't that the same as a reserve?

2.  Reserve STARTING BID $.01!  Whats the point of starting the bid at a penny if the reserve is $2000?
SMBeyer
SMBeyer

Back to top Go down

help me understand Gunbroker Empty Re: help me understand Gunbroker

Post by zanemoseley Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:07 pm

Some is marketing/selling strategy. If I sell something that I think is in fair demand I often just start at a penny but run for 10 days, that can get more buyers interested, gets them bidding even if at a low amount. I've had good results.

You can also use reserves and buy it now prices to your advantage. It also depends on if it's a business and they've absolutely got to cover certain costs.

My favorite auctions are $.01 starting and no reserve. You really get to see what an items value is.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by mpolans Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:09 pm

1.  No, it's the starting bid.

2.  To gain interest from folks who might toss a low bid and get lucky.  Also, I believe the seller has the option to lower the reserve or accept a bid below the reserve, if he/she so chooses, so a bidder who tosses out a low bid might get lucky.

mpolans

Back to top Go down

Post by John Dervis Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:48 pm

They charge you if you put a reserve on your item even if it doesn't sell so I start an item at what I would normally use as a reserve.  If it doesn't sell at that, I don't get charged. I don't sell on there as a business so I can see how others may use a different strategy depending on their needs which is why they have several different choices on how to list things.  

John

John Dervis

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:13 pm

Selling and buying on Ebay is very much the same. I have spent far more time on Ebay than gunbroker but I would rather put a "floor" under something than a reserve since I don't pay for that and don't want to sell below a certain number. One huge difference between gunbroker and ebay is the end process. Any bid on gunbroker extends the ending by 15 more minutes whereas in ebay, someone bids with 5-10 seconds to go and then you don't get a chance to bid again.

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by SonOfAGun Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:55 pm

weber1b wrote:Selling and buying on Ebay is very much the same. I have spent far more time on Ebay than gunbroker but I would rather put a "floor" under something than a reserve since I don't pay for that and don't want to sell below a certain number. One huge difference between gunbroker and ebay is the end process. Any bid on gunbroker extends the ending by 15 more minutes whereas in ebay, someone bids with 5-10 seconds to go and then you don't get a chance to bid again.

I can echo this perspective. I too have years of experience and hundreds of transactions on eBay, yet comparatively little experience on GB. As an eBay seller I have better results with a no-reserve listing at a starting price that I would be satisfied with. Or, set an optimistically high price and allow buyers to make offers.

As a buyer I prefer to exploit eBay's hard ending. But as a seller, I wish eBay would adopt the GunBroker-style 15 minute rule that extends listings while bidding continues.
SonOfAGun
SonOfAGun

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:25 pm

My take on gunbroker:  I see a gun advertised, I end up broker.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:26 pm

Wobbley wrote:My take on gunbroker:  I see a gun advertised, I end up broker.
Now that is funny.

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by Bheath Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:43 pm

Smile l
that is funny!

Bheath

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content