Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Red Dot sights - selection

+8
mikemyers
markbinwi
JKR
Oleg G
LenV
PhotoEscape
Outthere
Wobbley
12 posters

Go down

Red Dot sights - selection  Empty Red Dot sights - selection

Post by Wobbley Mon May 25, 2020 1:22 am

I’m looking for another Red Dot. This one will be on a 45 wad gun.

Which to choose?

Aimpoint H2?
Aimpoint 9000SC?
———————- Both of these are top quality but they’re pricey.

SIG Sauer Romeo 5?
——————————— Great value seems robust. I already have 3 of these.

Burris FastFire3?
———————- a great reflex I have 3 of these too! But I’m looking to add weight to the slide to keep the snap down.

Ultradot Matchdot 2?
—————————- good value but negative magnification....?

Holosun?

Something else?

Let me know your thoughts...
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Red Dot sights - selection  Empty Re: Red Dot sights - selection

Post by Outthere Mon May 25, 2020 8:43 am

Aimpoint. Buy once, cry once.
Outthere
Outthere

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape Mon May 25, 2020 9:43 am

If weight is out of consideration, Aimpoint 9000SC would be my recommendation.  
AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Mon May 25, 2020 9:51 am

Last edited by LenV on Mon May 25, 2020 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added info)
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G Mon May 25, 2020 11:31 am

Another vote for Sig Sauer Romeo 4. Same size and weight as Romeo 5 but much clearer optic. I have Romeo 4M (milspec) on my .45 for over a year now with no ill effects or loss of zero.
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by JKR Mon May 25, 2020 12:10 pm

Another vote for the Sightron S30. Seems to be greatly overlooked by BE shooters for some reason. Maybe because they list it as having a 5 minute dot. Actually it’s more like 2 MOA. I have one that’s been on a much used 45 for three years now. Price is comparable to UD.
JKR

JKR

Back to top Go down

Post by markbinwi Mon May 25, 2020 12:30 pm

Do all new Ultradots have negative magnification . I have an old 1" that I like and want another but want 0 magnification.

markbinwi

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Mon May 25, 2020 3:14 pm

markbinwi wrote:Do all new Ultradots have negative magnification . I have an old 1" that I like and want another but want 0 magnification.
You just need to find an older model. None of the "Oakshore" models have negative magnification. Not all of the newer ones have it either but it is kind of a crap shoot which one you get. I have both kinds and the little reduction does not bother me. Probably because I wear glasses.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by JKR Mon May 25, 2020 5:25 pm

So what’s the big deal about negative magnification? What you’re trying to hit(10 ring) is much smaller than what you see anyway. I have several UD’s all of which have a bit of negative magnification. The above mentioned Sightron has none. The difference is minimal. I shoot the same with either.
JKR

JKR

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Mon May 25, 2020 5:42 pm

I think it bothers people who shoot with both eyes open that dont have a overly dominant eye.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by markbinwi Mon May 25, 2020 6:41 pm

"I think it bothers people who shoot with both eyes open that dont have a overly dominant eye."

That must be me, I see the target in the optic and with my other eye, when they are different I have problems. I've had a older bushnell trs25 that worked well, bought a new one and it had some magnification and I sent it down the road. I've shot 30+ years indoors and giving outdoors a go this year.

markbinwi

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Mon May 25, 2020 9:42 pm

If you get the Aimpoint H-1 or H-2, consider getting the Kodiak base along with the sight.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Mon May 25, 2020 9:57 pm

mikemyers wrote:If you get the Aimpoint H-1 or H-2, consider getting the Kodiak base along with the sight.
IMHO there is no reason to get the Kodiak base. Aimpoint designed the original base to take anything the dot will. I have never heard of the original failing. But, that is my opinion.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 25, 2020 11:36 pm

+1 Len V.

BUT. Some H1's come with no base. In which case a Kodiak is a very good choice.

IMHO (but I sold mine on anyhow!!!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 25, 2020 11:49 pm

+1 Wobbley re' negative magnification. 

I am very right eye dominant - made even more polarised after LASIK "mono-vision" treatment 20 years ago. So I shoot pistols with a blinder on my "weak" left eye and wear corrective shooting glasses for shotgun with both eyes open.

I tried a +0.25 lens in my pistol (Champion) frames for a while - that corrected the negative effect of the UD. But then I tried a "0" lens and found that the clarity (for me) was overall better and my performance has improved subsequently (not necessarily because of the change in glasses).

Everything is, literally, "in the eye of the beholder", so the only way to really know how your eyes work is to experiment. Hence, the keen observers out there, might have noticed that I have bought and sold probably 20 red dots on Commercial Row in the past year or so!

My absolute best ever buy was a carefully used comprehensive set of Champion frame, lens, blinders and iris. I now use "0" lens for red dots and the "+0.25" lens (which are very difficult to find) for iron sights. This seems to be very close to perfect for my peculiar eyes. 

But I love 1" 4moa Ultra Dots - at present!

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Tue May 26, 2020 10:48 am

Wobbley, I know you have figured out there are still some great choices out there. I have been playing lately with the Nikon micro. Great optics but I have not put enough rounds thru the pistol to see how well they hold up. A little heavier with massive bolt in mount. For you to have a look see.

Gold Cup with Sig Romeo 4A
Red Dot sights - selection  20190337

SA with Nikon Ptactical
Red Dot sights - selection  20190233

SA with 7000 Aimpoint
Red Dot sights - selection  45_ro_12
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by mhayford45 Thu May 28, 2020 9:10 am

I would go for a Aimpoint after David Sams put his frame mount on your gun. Taking the weight of the dot/mount off the slide was in my opinion the best money I ever spent on my .45

mhayford45

Back to top Go down

Red Dot sights - selection  Empty choice on sight

Post by r.tornello Thu May 28, 2020 12:26 pm

Trijicom RMR type 2 designed for hard recoil on the slide itself, easy to use, just have to purchase a cover for it. I have 2 of them.
r.tornello
r.tornello

Back to top Go down

Post by BHeintz Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:30 pm

LenV wrote:
markbinwi wrote:Do all new Ultradots have negative magnification . I have an old 1" that I like and want another but want 0 magnification.
You just need to find an older model. None of the "Oakshore" models have negative magnification. Not all of the newer ones have it either but it is kind of a crap shoot which one you get. I have both kinds and the little reduction does not bother me. Probably because I wear glasses.

Len

I have had three Oakshore ultradots, and they all had negative magnification. A guy I shoot with has one with good lenses, so I started looking for them on ebay. I gave up after the third one.

BHeintz

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:14 pm

I have never seen one (Oakshore) with negative magnification. Sounds like there are some. How about another choice. Aimpoint 3000 are neat old scopes. Battery life is a little short compared to newer models but the newer tube scopes from Aimpoint are heavier and not 1".

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1993-Aimpoint-3000-optic-red-dot-scope-with-accessories-Delta-Force/224029715417?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
Red Dot sights - selection  S-l16011

I have a silver one on my Nelson

Red Dot sights - selection  Dscf1149
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sandxs Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:36 am

Leupold freedom might be an option if weight isn't an issue... clear glass, no negative mag, held up on my 45 longer than all other other dots besides the aim point micro. Only advantages it has over the 9000 is 1/4moa clicks which are very positive and reproducible, and about $100 lower price price tag... several downsides though... 34mm rings are a challenge...

10sandxs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down