Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How much hard ball can a hard ball gun shoot?

+14
Outthere
TonyH
CR10X
L Valdez
robert84010
Wobbley
mpolans
James Hensler
rkittine
71firebird400
Jon Eulette
james r chapman
KBarth
spaatz1644
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

How much hard ball can a hard ball gun shoot? - Page 2 Empty How much hard ball can a hard ball gun shoot?

Post by spaatz1644 Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

How many rounds does it take to beat the accuracy out of a hardball gun?

I'm shooting 4.5 grains of Bullseye, and 230 grain FMJs.

Will a lighter load maintain accuracy at 50 yards, and be meaningfully less abusive on the gun?

PS I have 10k 230 grain bullets. I know I could shoot a lighter bullet, but I'd rather use these up first.

spaatz1644

Back to top Go down

How much hard ball can a hard ball gun shoot? - Page 2 Empty Re: How much hard ball can a hard ball gun shoot?

Post by Outthere Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:22 am

How much Hardball can an elbow take?  Smile
Outthere
Outthere

Back to top Go down

How much hard ball can a hard ball gun shoot? - Page 2 Empty Re: How much hard ball can a hard ball gun shoot?

Post by Dr.Don Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:52 am

It's probably been mentioned somewhere in this long thread, but make sure your ball gun is sprung correctly. You can beat it to death if the recoil spring is too light for the hardball loads.  Well fitted, good steel, proper springs....it will last a very long time.
Dr.Don
Dr.Don

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:00 am

I'm pretty kinda sure there is a group at Fort Benning that has a good idea how long everything works on a hardball pistol. It probably involves more ammunition than a civilian can afford to buy or physically shoot.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by Al Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:27 am

Outthere wrote:How much Hardball can an elbow take?  Smile

All I know is my tennis elbow hasn't had any recurrences since I legged out in 03. And I'm ok with that. The new ammo is waaaay easier on my joints, and shoots much better.

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by kc.crawford.7 Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:10 am

Jamie, your question is very open ended.  Overall it's going to depend on how the gun was built in the first place.  Just from a barrel standpoint you should be able to get 20-25K without much of a loss of accuracy.  A "jacketed" gun will need a barrel much faster than a "lead" gun.  I've seen gun that just shot lead go well over 100K.  And I've seen guns that just shoot jacketed ammo need a barrel much sooner than that.  If your load is accurate out of your gun, just watch what it's doing.  If the accuracy starts to drop off then it "may" be time to think about a new barrel, or possibly just a new bushing fit.  Hope this helps give you some insight and ideas.
kc.crawford.7
kc.crawford.7

http://www.kcskustomcreations.com

spaatz1644 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by robert84010 Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:25 am

KC,
do the round count logbooks with USMC Team guns with the barrel or the frame/slide fit? IOW logbook stays with the frame and everything is logged or refit the slide=new logbook or new barrel=new logbook?

Thanks

robert84010

Back to top Go down

Post by kc.crawford.7 Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:46 am

robert84010 wrote:KC,
do the round count logbooks with USMC Team guns with the barrel or the frame/slide fit? IOW logbook stays with the frame and everything is logged or refit the slide=new logbook or new barrel=new logbook?

Thanks
Gun book documents all work done.  New book with new build.  If the gun is re-barreled along the way that is put in the gun book and the round count starts over again.
kc.crawford.7
kc.crawford.7

http://www.kcskustomcreations.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2