Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cleaning Bullseye Pistols with Red Dots

+9
Bigtrout
oxbowbob
fc60
chiz1180
james r chapman
Aprilian
James Hensler
chopper
toddcfii
13 posters

Go down

Cleaning Bullseye Pistols with Red Dots Empty Cleaning Bullseye Pistols with Red Dots

Post by toddcfii Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:19 pm

Cleaning Bullseye Pistols with Red Dots What is the best method of protecting my optics while cleaning my Bullseye guns? Do people take them off? I worry about return to zero. Leave them on? I worry about clp etc. getting on the lenses. Lens protectors? Where would you get them? I have Matchdots and they did not come with lens protectors.
toddcfii
toddcfii

Back to top Go down

Cleaning Bullseye Pistols with Red Dots Empty Re: Cleaning Bullseye Pistols with Red Dots

Post by chopper Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:33 pm

My Matchdots came with lens caps connected with elastic string. When I clean my slide I take the barrel, fire pin, spring, and extractor out and use swabs soaked in Hoppes 9 or CLP and slather it on the slide were I need to clean and scrub it in and remove with cloth patches and swabs. Any juice that gets on the dot I wipe off immediately, but I usually don't need to.

chopper

Back to top Go down

Cleaning Bullseye Pistols with Red Dots Empty Re: Cleaning Bullseye Pistols with Red Dots

Post by James Hensler Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:51 pm

Please don’t do it like I do

I put all springs and small parts in a plastic bowl
I use CRC red can brake clean and spray the slide and frame over top of the bowl and then spray everything in the bowl. I even spray my dot on my 45 alittle because it’s silver and get dirty.

When I drain and dump everything out on the bench I use lens cleaner and clean the dot and wipe everything else off and reassemble
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:10 pm

Todd,

PM me your address, I have one of the Matchdot plastic covers I'll give you.
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:29 pm

twist tie a sandwich bagger over your dot.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

HSM likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:39 pm

I save up a weeks worth of careful, and take my time. I try to only put cleaning solvents where they are needed. Often I find putting solvent on a patch helps. I also wipe down my dot when I am done with a microfiber cloth and clean the lenses.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by toddcfii Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:08 pm

Aprilian PM sent. Thanks!
toddcfii
toddcfii

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:08 pm

Greetings,

Back when I shot "lights" on my pistols, I use the Burris Zee mounts.

Remove the base screws and slide the assembly off the rail.

Never had a zero change problem.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Al likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by oxbowbob Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:24 am

Nitrile gloves work great.
oxbowbob
oxbowbob

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigtrout Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:43 pm

I need to cleanse my Burris FF3 on my RO after each range visit as the slide oil gets splashed on the body and the front of the lens.  When cleaning the slide I have a waterproof cover that sits over the entire sight.
Bigtrout
Bigtrout

Back to top Go down

Post by Al Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:42 pm

Short answer, I take mine off.

I switched all my UD's over to Weaver rings 20 yrs ago. I lap them in after getting them nice & snug on the rail and set the scope. No zeroing issues with removing and reinstalling.

I like to totally strip my "precision hole punchers" twice a year. The Weavers (lots of other really good brands, I just happened to have these when the idea first hit) allow me to remove the dot for cleaning then reinstall without losing zero.  I tear them down & put them in a kerosene bath for 10-20 min. Take a toothbrush and q-tips to all area's and blow off the excess. Wipe everything down with a "red oil" impregnated rag, oil, and reassemble. Between the two thorough cleanings, a field stripping with q-tips, swabs, a bore brush, and more red oil.

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:58 pm

I bought a used Matchdot II that I found on this forum a couple of years ago.  It came with what I woiuld call "heavy duty" mounting rings.  There's probably a better term.  Anyway, I can loosen the two nuts on the photo below, and lift the assembly off the rail.  Do whatever I need to do, and the sight goes back on easily, and still has a good 'zero'.  Since the joint is "horizontal" not "vertical", I think I can remove just the sight and replace it with no change in zero.  Optics Planet and Amazon seem to have lots of these, but the only one I wanted was the "low" version, which I couldn't find on Amazon.....

I have a set of these mounts on order for my new one inch Matchdot sight.  The penalty is that they weigh a little more than the standard rings.

Cleaning Bullseye Pistols with Red Dots Img_2916
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:15 pm

Cover shipped to you today.
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by HSM Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:56 am

I use a plastic bag to cover the dot and keep the zero, has worked just down all the time

HSM

Back to top Go down

Post by Tangeant Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:36 pm

I just use blue painters tape.
Tangeant
Tangeant

Back to top Go down

Post by toddcfii Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:47 pm

All good thoughts. I thought of the ziplock. I will try the lens covers and see how that goes.
toddcfii
toddcfii

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down