Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any diagnostics to be seen from this target?

+4
Wobbley
Oleg G
james r chapman
Psween
8 posters

Go down

Any diagnostics to be seen from this target? Empty Any diagnostics to be seen from this target?

Post by Psween Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:06 am

I printed a 50 yd SF target and tried my RO last night for the first time at that yardage. If we ignore the fact that I forgot to come up from my 25 yd. zero, what might this target tell me to work on?

I called the two extreme low left shots as I saw the sights drop at the shot. Those were shots I should have aborted and started over, I knew I was overholding and couldn't seem to stop myself. What else do you more experienced shooters notice?

The main group looks to be about 9 ring sized, so I'm pretty happy with that. Thanks, I'm really enjoying shooting this .45!

PatrickAny diagnostics to be seen from this target? 20200811Any diagnostics to be seen from this target? 20200811

Psween

Back to top Go down

Any diagnostics to be seen from this target? Empty Re: Any diagnostics to be seen from this target?

Post by james r chapman Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:46 am

Just center it up.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Any diagnostics to be seen from this target? Empty Re: Any diagnostics to be seen from this target?

Post by Oleg G Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:30 am

Come up to your elevation setting. You may want to either check your stance, or move the sights/dot right 2-3 clicks. Check your stance first.
This target sends a really good message - 8 of your shots would be inside the 9 ring. Work on being consistent through all 10 shots. And you already know that, since you commented that you should not have fired the other two shots. So, next time, just make yourself put the gun down! Smile

The last advice - don't describe your bad shots, even to yourself. Focus on writing down everything you can about exactly how you shot the good shots. The more you keep telling yourself about shooting good shots, the more of these good shots will happen. Remember, this is a mental sport much more than it is physical.
Oleg G
Oleg G

sbtzc likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Psween Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:58 am

Thanks, I ran out of time and daylight last night before I could put up a new target and adjust zero. I should be able to shoot some more tonight. Will come up 6-8 clicks and see if that gets me close. Overall, I'm pretty pleased at the group size, like you said, if it was centered it would likely be in the 90s. I know from my previous air pistol shooting to not focus too much on score when training, just focus on stringing together one good shot after another and let the numbers come out how they will.

Psween

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:05 am

Adjust the sights, and dry-fire and shoot more to get better trigger control.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:07 am

Your target shows evidence of the typical RH shooter flinch. If your flinch is consistent you can adjust your sights to adjust. In my experience the flinch is difficult to eliminate, try at first to minimize it. Typically if your 45 scores are lower than your 22 scores its attributed to flinch and to a lesser extend increased recover time in RF.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:36 am

The target can only tell you so much about what you need to do to improve. Video yourself shooting, and watch critically. Chances are you will notice things that you ignore while you are shooting. As a personal example, when reviewing myself shooting I found that the longer I held, my arm would slightly drop down, as a result the shot would tend to be low. It also helps to take notes when you are shooting, especially when you figure out something you are trying to improve.   

A similar (and probably better) method is to attend a bullseye clinic if possible. Zins, Henderson, and Hemphill all have clinics from time to time.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:41 am

The person who has been reviewing my targets for a while now would say that I was aiming at the bullseye, which would make it unlikely that my shots would go near the middle of where I was aiming - instead, they would go all around it. 

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t8516-area-aiming-by-dave-salyer?highlight=salyer

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t8732-more-words-of-wisdom-from-dave-salyer?highlight=salyer

There is another write-up by "Cranky Thunder" which describes something similar, but worded differently.  I'll try to find it later.  George's thoughts are along the lines of trying to delay the firing of the gun as much as possible, so that when it does fire, you're surprised.  There won't be any time for you to flinch.

If you get a cluster of holes around an empty middle, that's the definition of doing it wrong.  If you follow their advice, you'll get a random arrangement of holes, with "most" of them clustered around the middle, and fewer and fewer as you move out from the "middle".  

(Just to add - at first I thought those ideas were insane, how can you hit something without trying to hit it.  I did it anyway, and found that they were right. )

There are many, many people here far more qualified than I am to give advice, but after you read all the threads about "area aiming", try it, and see what you think then.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry2520 Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:33 pm

You might be anticipating recoil!

Larry2520

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down