Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Les baer opinions

+14
Larry2520
Jon Eulette
Darrell Cox
Myke
71firebird400
lakemurrayman
dronning
chiz1180
john bickar
mpolans
kjanracing
Wobbley
mikemyers
1911a145
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Les baer opinions - Page 2 Empty Les baer opinions

Post by 1911a145 9/14/2020, 9:08 pm

First topic message reminder :

Can anyone give me opinion on current les Baer models for bullsye shooting? Looking at getting a wadcutter and hardball. Any info appreciated

1911a145

Back to top Go down

Les baer opinions - Page 2 Empty Re: Les baer opinions

Post by mikemyers 10/21/2020, 1:10 pm

Well, now that I've used it for something approaching 2,000 rounds, racking the slide with either hand is no problem as long as the trigger is cocked.  Without cocking the trigger, I can still do it, but it's not easy.  I'm sure my (lack of) strength is part of the reason.  Like I said, racking the slide on my brother's Wilson was no big deal.  The Baer just came to me extremely tight.

This video was a huge help:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH0lIrLwy0k

Regarding sights, if I remember correctly, the highest score shot to date in a Bullseye match was done with steel sights.  

I'm no expert, but in my limited opinion, the steel sights on the Premiere II are as good as it gets.  They're also reliable and durable.  There are far too many stories on this forum about people who had to stop shooting because of their red dot sight.  As I recall, Jon was about to win a gun at a competition, when his Matchdot II failed.

What red dot sights CAN do for shooters, is allow people with poor eyesight to see well enough to shoot well enough.  As for me, I "followed the crowd", and all the advice I was given, and got hooked on red dot sights.  I know lots of people who feel this is best for me, and I don't know even one person who feels I should use steel sights instead.  I have two identical S&W Model 52's, one with steel sights, and one with a Vortex Venom dot sight.  I'm still "better" with the red dot, but the gap is closing rapidly.

My opinion, not in any way proved, but I believe it, is that people who use steel sights don't know how to use them to the best of their ability.  Everyone shooting steel is sure they know what to do, just focus on the front sight.  I think most of them are not doing things to the best of their ability.

If you still have a gun with steel sights, watch this video, then see if you notice a difference in your shooting.  I doubted it, but watched the video anyway, and wow....    Try it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lMYzJpD4n8

Back to the Baer - if my relative wanted to swap his Wilson for my Baer, something I would have jumped at a few weeks after buying the Baer, today I would say "no thanks".
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 10/21/2020, 1:20 pm

Tfurey66 wrote:I have to weigh in here. A couple of people here have mentioned Rock River. DONT DO IT!!! I bought one last year, have had nothing but problems with it. Tried numerous times to get help from them. The owner (thats who I was told I had to speak to) wont answer or return my calls. I could go into detail but don't want to hijack this thread.
If this was my thread, I'd suggest go ahead with posting your questions here, but a better answer would be to suggest you start a new thread, and go into as much detail as possible.  I've never seen a Rock River gun, which I assume is basically a 1911, like this:   https://www.firearmsnews.com/editorial/rock-river-arms-basic-limited-1911-review/378461.  To quote one sentence from that link:

"....let me remind the viewers at home that Rock River’s 1911s still fall into that “better than factory but not quite hand-­built custom” niche in both quality and price. Actually, maybe just price — after spending some time with the Basic Limited, I have to say it seems to be the equal in fit, finish, and features of some of the “old school” 1911s put out by the well-­known custom houses. While being $500–­$1000 cheaper."

Hickock45 on his YouTube channel did a comparison of a $500 standard 1911 vs a $2,000 Ed Brown "custom" 1911.  I watched it last night.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W7sb9Zp-8o&t=1920s

Assuming you want to shoot Bullseye with it, you could check with Jon, KC, or Dave Salyer to see what it would take to make it better for Bullseye.

Please do start a thread on it - I find myself learning LOTS of things from other threads like that, how to improve issues with a gun.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 10/21/2020, 1:29 pm

1911a145 wrote:Can anyone give me opinion on current les Baer models for bullsye shooting? Looking at getting a wadcutter and hardball. Any info appreciated
Back to this thread, here are the choices from Baer.  Which of these were you considering?
https://www.lesbaer.com/Duty.html

You probably want to ignore anything that isn't 5".
You also want to ignore any guns without adjustable sights.
I assume you only want guns chambered in 45 ACP.

That will shorten the list.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2