Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone ever try quick detail car spray on brass?

+2
willnewton
zanemoseley
6 posters

Go down

Anyone ever try quick detail car spray on brass? Empty Anyone ever try quick detail car spray on brass?

Post by zanemoseley 10/4/2020, 4:54 pm

I was just wondering about laying out some brass on a towel, spray on some quick detail spray then bundle the brass in the towel and shake around a bit. Could protect the brass from tarnish and maybe even act as a case lube, I tend to case lube with my carbide dies to reduce effort.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08147RJTL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fab_ybMEFb4YA6ERC

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Anyone ever try quick detail car spray on brass? Empty Re: Anyone ever try quick detail car spray on brass?

Post by Guest 10/4/2020, 5:17 pm

Might be better off with a spray wax. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078SFMRQ2/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=vs-autoguide-spray-waxes-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B078SFMRQ2&linkId=398bf5461fd1c405d018134338dd7b60

Back to top Go down

Anyone ever try quick detail car spray on brass? Empty Re: Anyone ever try quick detail car spray on brass?

Post by willnewton 10/5/2020, 3:52 am

Since it is readily available from Amazon as well, why not chose the spray that was made to do the job?

Hornady Once Shot Spray Case Lube comes in several sizes and prices.  Here is the big can.

https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-99913-Shot-Spray-Aerosol/dp/B01MUCBJ5D/ref=sr_1_1?crid=ZU1PTK3C9HPN&dchild=1&keywords=hornady+lube+spray&qid=1601895006&sprefix=hornady+lube%2Cautomotive%2C141&sr=8-1
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

lablover likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 10/5/2020, 9:51 am

I spray either Hornady One Shot or Lyman spray lube on an old t-shirt, pour brass on top, gather the corners of the t-short and massage the brass. It seems to work well for me and I don't worry about getting spray on the inside of the cases.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Jwhelan939 10/5/2020, 11:10 am

Most of the detail sprays I use are more expensive than one shot. I think I'd stick to what I know works and works well.

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 10/5/2020, 11:46 am

I've just got like 3 containers of spray detail so was thinking of trying it.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 10/5/2020, 1:48 pm

zanemoseley wrote:I've just got like 3 containers of spray detail so was thinking of trying it.
Heck, it wouldn't hurt to give it a try. It says it has lubricants in it.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by PMcfall 10/6/2020, 5:53 am

Are you then going to remove the lube before shooting it?
Phil
PMcfall
PMcfall

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 10/6/2020, 6:13 am

Most of the time I don't remove case lube before shooting. Sometimes I'll lay on a towel and spray with some denatured alcohol and remove the lube but not sure its needed, I've typically used the lanolin/alcohol lube, gets a bit sticky when dry.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by PMcfall 10/6/2020, 6:54 am

Doesn't the friction between the case and chamber wall perform a function and require a grease free case to perform?
Phil
PMcfall
PMcfall

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 10/6/2020, 6:57 am

Have you ever used lanolin/alcohol lube?

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by PMcfall 10/6/2020, 6:58 am

No, nor any other.  Carbide dies don't need it.
PMcfall
PMcfall

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 10/6/2020, 7:13 am

Yeah but it sure makes running the press easier. You should try sometime.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by PMcfall 10/6/2020, 7:23 am

Well, to each his own.  If your press is offering too much resistance, think of it as exercise for your shooting arm Smile
PMcfall
PMcfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian 10/6/2020, 8:33 am

PMcfall wrote:Doesn't the friction between the case and chamber wall perform a function and require a grease free case to perform?
Phil
...in my understanding - shooting lubed lead...
As the lubed bullet enters a hot chamber some of the wax on the nose of the bullet transfers to the chamber wall making a perfect seal only possible with copper clad bullets.  Likewise, when crimping a lead bullet, some of the wax smears onto the case.
Since no one has ever associated shooting lead with significant loss of accuracy (nor with using lubed cases) I'm not worried about using something on the case to reduce the press resistance.

We all get to find out what works and makes sense for ourselves.
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down