Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Frustrated with reloading 9mm

+6
LenV
bruce martindale
David R
Allgoodhits
REConley
Bruce1123
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Frustrated with reloading 9mm - Page 2 Empty Frustrated with reloading 9mm

Post by Bruce1123 10/22/2020, 11:16 am

First topic message reminder :

I shoot a Ruger SR1911 Target 9mm.  I have tried several types of commercial ammunition through it and found four (Winchester Target, Wolf Performance, Fiocchi Target Max, and Speer Lawman) that will average under a two-inch group at 25-yards. (These rounds vary in bullet weight, velocity, and overall length.) Due to the ammunition shortage, I started reloading this past spring with a Lee Turret Press loaded with a set of four Lee dies set in accordance to the directions.  My problem is I have not been able to duplicate anything close to the factory ammo for accuracy.  In some cases, I will shoot a group of three rounds to have two holes touch and the third round two or three inches off to the side.  Here is my process:  The used cases spend time in the tumbler.  They are sorted by headstamp.  They are deprimed and the primer pocket is cleaned.  A new primer is pressed in.  Each and every powder charge from the powder measure is double checked on a digital scale and only the exact tenth of a grain is allowed.  The bullet is set in accordance with tech data.  A batch of 18 is made to check for accuracy.  I have tried using three different powders: Unique, Titegroup, and CFE.  I have tried FMJ bullets in different brands and weights in an effort to duplicate the commercial rounds.  I have tried a few dozen different combinations with no great success.  I get the feeling there is one or two small details that when corrected will make all the difference but I need help figuring it out.

Bruce1123

Back to top Go down

Frustrated with reloading 9mm - Page 2 Empty Re: Frustrated with reloading 9mm

Post by Bruce1123 10/23/2020, 5:56 pm

There is money involved. It's like fishing. Maybe you start with a $20 rod from Walmart and the next thing you know your making payments on a fast boat and SUV to pull it. But I do enjoy it.

Bruce1123

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 10/23/2020, 6:02 pm

In my experience with Berry’s and Xtreme plated bullets, I will say that you WILL get fliers just like you experienced; two touching then one 3 inches away.  My experience was out of 20 shots the groups were 10+ shots in the X ring, 5 shots in the ten, and five anywhere from the 9 to the 8 ring and most were OFF CALL!  So I’ve given up using them for accuracy.  They’re fine for combat training or even “run and gun” but not for bullseye.  So I’ve switched to Hi-Tek coated, lead lubricated, or jacketed.  

Jacketed 115 and 147 are the way to go for top level accuracy in 9mm.  But I’d also call Brazos bullets and see if you can get a sample pack of their 9mm bullets just to try them.  You’re at the stage of getting something that will put 20 out of 20 in the ten ring “if you do your part” (sorry for the cliche).  Some 9mms will NOT shoot a cast bullet no matter how hard you try but you need “SOMETHING” right now that is consistent.

As for what to look for when testing, I offer this photo.  This was from a chrono session and was shot with iron sights.  I called the two nines and the right ten as “out of the group”. There’s 10shots in that knothole. Frustrated with reloading 9mm - Page 2 9bb82510
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by S148 10/23/2020, 6:11 pm

No 124/5 bullets for good accuracy?

S148

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 10/23/2020, 6:57 pm

Oops!  I forgot to upinclude them... but they don’t have much to offer Over the 115s IMO.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruce1123 10/23/2020, 7:15 pm

Wobbley:  On the Brazos bullets, which bullet would you recommend for the 147 grain, flat point or round nose?

Bruce1123

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 10/23/2020, 10:01 pm

The website has 4 5Star reviews for the RN but none for the FN.  I don’t know why other than they may be a new offering?  ive never loaded 147s as the vast majority of my 9mm shooting is combat pistol training so I actually use plated there.  But when all you need out of your loads is to hit a 5 inch circle at 10 yards, accuracy isn’t paramount.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 10/23/2020, 11:23 pm

I have shot a lot of Magnus 147gr LFP. With 3.5 gr Bullseye it is a mild load and can be very accurate. This was with the 952 off a sand bag at 25yds. It looks like I changed Magazines in the middle of the group (oops). But you can see the potential is there.

Frustrated with reloading 9mm - Page 2 Dscf0768
LenV
LenV

Gene Hedberg likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Texasref 10/24/2020, 7:59 am

I have shot a lot of 9mm in all different weights with different powders. I'm as new to "Bullseye" as you can get. But have worked some on the accuracy end of things with this round.
One thing I have found to be true, you have to "spin" that bullet. Any velocities that fall short will tend to tumble the bullet. When that happens you'll need to increase you powder charge.
I shoot nothing but 147 FP coated bullets now since most of my shooting is indoors.
The diameter should be .351", which is about standard. You can get .352" for better bullet/barrel contact if you ask.
The real problem with 9mm is that your dealing with a tapered case so it's difficult to eliminate the variables that effect accuracy unless it's new brass.
Anyway here's a formula that you can use as a starting point.

All 147FP bullets.
Load as long as the chamber will allow. Drop a dummy round in and spin. If it does not spin shorten until it does.
Don't forget to crimp the case. Some say you don't need to but I always have.
Powder charge 3.2gns.
Powders: Titegroup  VVN320  Alliant Sport Pistol

The above will make 135 power factor if your into USPSA and such.

Texasref

Back to top Go down

Post by S148 10/24/2020, 8:09 am

Texasref wrote:
I shoot nothing but 147 FP coated bullets now since most of my shooting is indoors.
The diameter should be .351", which is about standard. You can get .352" for better bullet/barrel contact if you ask.

These numbers look off. The usual 9mm jacketed bullet is .355" and the usual lead bullet is .356".

S148

Back to top Go down

Post by Texasref 10/24/2020, 8:13 am

S148,
thank you. You are correct.
My diameters should be .356 and .357.

Obviously too early for me.

Texasref

Back to top Go down

Post by David R 10/24/2020, 8:58 am

One thing I found shooting off a rest for accuracy, is 5 shot groups or one magazine full.  Just like Len showed above, if I shoot 10 rounds, some times I get 2 5 shot groups.  So I shoot 5 shot groups in to different targets.  Things change when I change magazines.  Grip is #1, how I am sitting is next.  It happens.

I NEVER got any accuracy out of plated bullets.

Once you shoot a lot of groups,  You will be able to tell pretty quick when you have a good combination, and a bad combination.      Separating the good from the best takes time.

I read the entire reloading section in this forum.   What I learned is take your best load so far and spend your time practicing with it.  Sure continue to find the golden goose, but your time is better spent training than looking for the perfect load.   IF your gun is a good one, most loads will shoot well,  If its a bad one, some will shoot better than others and there will be no perfect load.  It might be good one day, but not the next.  

Once you have a barrel fitted, or do it your self, these accuracy problems go away because most anything will shoot well.

I have a Dan Wesson PM-9 that I bought  new that shoots just over 2" @ 50 yards.  I replaced the slide stop and fit a new barrel bushing to get that. 

My daughter has a Kimber 9mm Two Tone that will never shoot bullseye unless it gets a new barrel fitted to the gun.   Some loads shoot a little better, but nothing under 8" @ 50 yards.

You had some good groups posted above, take those and practice.  This will help you move forward in your Bullseye pursuit.   Its addictive.  I have been shooting for 30 years.  Still not great, but good and I sure enjoy the matches and the people.

Have fun on your journey.
David
David R
David R

Back to top Go down

Post by New2BE 11/8/2020, 8:16 pm

If you are using range pick brass or shoot in an environment where the shooters are using guns with unsupported chambers (e.g. Glocks, but there are a lot others), some of your brass may require roll sizing prior to full length sizing.

New2BE

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2