Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Reloader's Checklist

+3
Arthur
Allen Barnett
Oleg G
7 posters

Go down

New Reloader's Checklist Empty New Reloader's Checklist

Post by Oleg G Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:14 am

Folks,

As I mentioned in another post, I am getting ready to start reloading. I will likely get going in about a month, once my attic renovation is complete.
Meanwhile, I have purchased the following equipment and supplies, and would like an advice on what I may be missing:

Equipment List:
Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-EZ Tumbler
Frankford Arsenal Walnut Hull Media for Tumbler
Frankford Arsenal Media Separator 
Reloading Press: Lee Pro 1000 Reloading Kit (this includes a progressive press, shell plate, turret with 3 dies [Full Length Size, Powder Through Expanding and Bullet Seating Dies], priming system, powder measure and case feeder)
Lee bench mounting plate kit for the press
MTM Universal Ammo Loading Tray
Frankford Arsenal DS-750 Digital Reloading Scale
Anytime Tools Dial Caliper 6"
Lyman Powder Pan
Bench - I will buy a sturdy one from Homedepot and install it in my attic once it's finished.

Supplies:
Zero Bullets: 185Gr Lead SWCHP - 3000
Primers: Large Pistol - 2000
Powder: VihtaVuori N310 - 2lb
Brass - I have good supply

Anything else that I would need to start?

Best Regards,
Oleg.
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

New Reloader's Checklist Empty Re: New Reloader's Checklist

Post by Allen Barnett Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:40 am

Might want to add a seperate crimping die.  Seating and crimping at the same time is usually not as consitent as seating and crimping in seperate steps.  I also use a go/no-go guage to check each round to ensure it will chamber properly.  Just my thoughts to answer your question.

Allen Barnett

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:44 am

Thanks, Allen. I will look at a go/no-go gauge. A separate crimping die seems out for now, because this press has a 3-die turret and a 3-position shell plate. I don't yet know, whether I can install a 4-die turret and a 4-position shell plate.
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by Arthur Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:21 pm

Oleg

You might consider a Dillon 550 press to start with, or a Lee single stage. 
A single stage is impractical for the long term, but is a it's a way into learning the process. Not may people using the Lee progressive in this sport. Poor resale value. 
The 550 isn't the fastest either. Manual case loading and index, no powder check. My understanding is that it's possible to double charge thru operator error. I am told, can't verify if that's true. However it's a quality tool and retains it's resale value if you want to eventually upgrade to a 750. 
You're a smart guy and I'm sure you have done some research. This is just another one of those things that you have to put the money in to have a good long term result. 

Best,
Arthur

Arthur

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:51 pm

Arthur,

Great advice, thanks. However, I have already purchased all the equipment on my list. The price of the Lee press was the attractive factor. I am not after speed at my starting point and am mostly concerned with duplicating with quality the load that has already worked for me.
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotwang Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:33 pm

You can use a Lee single stage press to do crimping in a separate step. Although any single stage press would do the job. Separate seating and crimping is a really good idea.

Rotwang

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:22 pm

Rotwang wrote:You can use a Lee single stage press to do crimping in a separate step.  Although any single stage press would do the job.  Separate seating and crimping is a really good idea.
Oleg,

I second that.  And also, you can have extra 3-hole turret with crimping die on it.  Even though I have several Dillon and Star progressive presses, I also have Lee 3-hole Turret press (without indexing) and two Lee single stage presses.  Single stage presses are dedicated to bullet pulling and universal de-priming processes.  I have several 3-hole turrets with additional dies to enhance functionality of the progressive presses, i.e. sizing dies without de-caper, so I can easily re-size cases with good primers after pulling bullets, or Lee FCD dies if I need to bring cases to the specs if they didn't pass gauge test.

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:33 am

If your goal is to get into reloading as cheaply as possible, you pretty much have it covered. The sturdier the bench, especially if you decide later to upgrade your press to a Dillon. Having storage on/ in the bench is a plus. If you are handy, you might want to build your bench. Here are some ideas: http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2008/11/free-reloading-bench-plans/
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by BobMcLear Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:21 pm

If you find that a fair number of completed 45 ACP rounds fail to gauge properly, as has been my experience, the bulge buster set-up in a single stage press is a valuable addition.  I do run all my completed rounds through the bulge buster and that has solved my failure to gauge issue.

Also, do you have a set of check weights for the scale?
BobMcLear
BobMcLear

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum