Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Federal large magnum pistol primers

+2
Schaumannk
Dockokol
6 posters

Go down

Federal large magnum pistol primers Empty Federal large magnum pistol primers

Post by Dockokol 12/2/2020, 7:24 am

I recently was given a 1000 Federal match large magnum pistol primers.  Is it safe to use these in a .45?  I will ignore any ...no very dangerous.... send to me and I will dispose of them for you  Smile

I normally load 4.0 bullesye with nosler 185 jhp.  If these can be used, do I need to alter that?  Thanks for the help.... these are the last primers in my house and they are very tempting.

Doc Kokol

Dockokol

Back to top Go down

Federal large magnum pistol primers Empty Re: Federal large magnum pistol primers

Post by Schaumannk 12/2/2020, 7:37 am

The general rule is, cut your powder by 2 to four tenths of a grain.  I had a friend who accidentally used large rifle primers in his 45 loads.  They packed a bit of a whallop.  A chronograph would probably be helpful.  I think I would probably load ten at 3.6 or 3.7 and see how it goes.

4.0 of Bullseye with a jacketed bullet is a bit of a light load already, so on second thought maybe 3.8 would be fine as well.

Last edited by Schaumannk on 12/2/2020, 7:39 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : More info)

Schaumannk

Back to top Go down

Federal large magnum pistol primers Empty Re: Federal large magnum pistol primers

Post by BE Mike 12/2/2020, 8:12 am

In .45 ACP loads, I always loaded the Nosler with 4.5 grains of Alliant Bullseye for best accuracy at 50 yards. Winchester large pistol primers are all I ever use and they are for magnum or standard loads. I've read, but can't substantiate, that the only difference in Federal 150 & 155 large pistol primers is the thickness of the cup.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Steve B likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mikld 12/2/2020, 1:42 pm

Easy answer; reduce powder charges and do another load work up. I learned/was told many years ago that whenever a component is changed, go back to starting levels and do another load work up. "Reloading 101"...

mikld

spursnguns likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dockokol 12/2/2020, 1:49 pm

Thank you.  I appreciate the input.

Dockokol

Back to top Go down

Post by jjfitch 12/2/2020, 6:15 pm

It's unlikely that you will notice any difference with "fast " powders. Do your due diligence as mentioned above!

"Primer" on primers!

https://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=k5b2j5c55uf656fb6135clb3k4&topic=56422.msg646510#msg646510

Lots of information for anyone that uses "primers"!

Smiles,
jjfitch
jjfitch

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve B 12/2/2020, 6:27 pm

Dockokol wrote:I recently was given a 1000 Federal match large magnum pistol primers.  Is it safe to use these in a .45?  I will ignore any ...no very dangerous.... send to me and I will dispose of them for you  Smile

I normally load 4.0 bullesye with nosler 185 jhp.  If these can be used, do I need to alter that?  Thanks for the help.... these are the last primers in my house and they are very tempting.

Doc Kokol

Definitely not safe...  I'll send you a tag to put on the box and ship to me for 'safe' disposal using a load equivalent to 4.5 gr bullseye.

Steve B

Boston Bill likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down