Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Gunsmithing M41

3 posters

Go down

General Gunsmithing M41 Empty General Gunsmithing M41

Post by lanjo 12/5/2020, 3:31 am

Hi All,

I have a older M41 that recently had the trigger bar spring go bad.  I stripped it down to its individual parts with the intent of changing out all the springs.  It is stripped and cleaned with solvent and l looking to reassemble with the new springs. Is it a good idea to put a light gun oil like Rem Oil on all the internal surfaces to protect it, or would this just collect powder residue.  I assume that the contact surfaces should get a heaver oil. Are there any key contact points that need something other than oil? like a grease?

Thanks for your help.

Best,

Joe

lanjo

Back to top Go down

General Gunsmithing M41 Empty Re: General Gunsmithing M41

Post by kc.crawford.7 12/5/2020, 1:50 pm

Keep parts dry, TW25-B (just a touch) on the hammer hook and you're done.
kc.crawford.7
kc.crawford.7

http://www.kcskustomcreations.com

CR10X, orpheoet and MarkOue like this post

Back to top Go down

General Gunsmithing M41 Empty Thanks KC

Post by lanjo 12/7/2020, 1:04 am

Thanks KC for the advice.  Great to have one of the premiere M41 pistol smiths giving you advice.

lanjo

Back to top Go down

Post by Slamfire 12/7/2020, 3:44 am

lanjo wrote:Hi All,

I have a older M41 that recently had the trigger bar spring go bad.  I stripped it down to its individual parts with the intent of changing out all the springs.  It is stripped and cleaned with solvent and l looking to reassemble with the new springs. Is it a good idea to put a light gun oil like Rem Oil on all the internal surfaces to protect it, or would this just collect powder residue.  I assume that the contact surfaces should get a heaver oil. Are there any key contact points that need something other than oil? like a grease?

Thanks for your help.

Best,

Joe

Just going to say, I oil, then wipe off, so the surfaces in that area have an oil coating but are not dripping in oil. I oil most everything, and if there is too much oil, I use compressed air to blow it out.

I have run into a lot of different shooters with wide variances in cleaning philosophies,.   One shooter I know, he never cleans until his pistols create alibi's. I am far more cleaning obsessed . I also met a number of old Soldiers who were told to run their weapons dry. It turns out the Army is lubrophobic, has been ever since WW1. Korea was particularly bad for them, as all greases and oils froze. However, your pistol is a mechanical piece of machinery. So I do make sure all pins, shafts, sliding surfaces have a layer of lubricant to reduce friction and wear. Oils will dissolve waxes and powder residues, to a limit, and thus keep the crud soft and moist, and this will reduce function issues due to crud. If I could stick an oil pump on my firearms, I probably would.

A guy who conducted an oil study for the space agency told me to use the absolute minimum of oil needed. And I, of course, ignore his advise and over oil. But, I also clean my pistols after each match and I do not let the oils turn into a varnish.

For those side plate springs I use CRC 3-36. A very light oil

General Gunsmithing M41 8004723__79142.1534822015

And on the sear surfaces, LSA. Semi fluid greases are great, but you can't buy them at Wal Mart or Auto Zone. If they were more available shooters would be using them more often. Connie Rodd can't be wrong.

General Gunsmithing M41 6FBDTkU

Slamfire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down