Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dillon Square Deal problem

+3
Allen Barnett
Wobbley
John McCormick
7 posters

Go down

Dillon Square Deal problem Empty Dillon Square Deal problem

Post by John McCormick Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:20 pm

I've just started reloading again for the 9mm and I'm having what appears to be a common problem: occasionally the handle will hang up about 1/4 of way into the upswing. From what I can see (and have read), the problem is associated with the cartridge case at station #2 being "gripped" inside by the powder drop/belling funnel. The machine never does this when there isn't a shell at station #2, nor does it occur when I load 45s or 38s on the same machine.

I've seen Hornady One Shot recommended, which I'll try, but can I just generally spray it over a shallow pile of shells, and maybe shake them a little, or do I need to stand them all up and then spray them?

One other issue I'm having. I'm using assorted range brass for now and I'm finding that shells marked "A P 20" will not reliably deprime. More often than not the primer will be pushed out to the point where I can remove it by fingernail, but it does gum up the process. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

John McCormick

Back to top Go down

Dillon Square Deal problem Empty Re: Dillon Square Deal problem

Post by Wobbley Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:17 pm

I don’t have the sticking issue with me (Hornady) expander, but I’ve heard that Dillon expanders are more prone.  The ashiest way to lube the case mouths is to put the cases into an old metal cake pan about one layer deep then shake side to side.  The cases have a tendency to stand in their bases.  A quick spray in their moths with Jornady One Shot is all you need.  One shot will dry and not harm powder or primers.  You do not need to lube 100% of the brass, 70% or so will do.

As for odd brass giving issues, i segregate brass by “big ammo” and oddball and military.  Military has crimped primers so they need special handling, “Big Ammo” is Federal, Winchester, Remington, CCI, PPU, S&B, Magtech, PMC, GECO, etc that does not have crimped primers and seldom have issues.  Oddball is all the other off brands like American, A USA, MaxxTech and others that are a crapshoot.  MaxxTech had some cases with inserts in their cases that majpke them unloadable. Dillon Square Deal problem F9602c10
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Allen Barnett Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:38 pm

Not trying to be a snob or some other descriptive adjective but I just don't use ANY range brass.  I just don't/won't trust anything but what I have either bought new or is from factory stuff I have shot.  I to have had a Dillon Square Deal for close to 30 years (maybe more) and never encountered the problem as described above.  I load 9mm, 38 Special/357 Mag, 44Mag and of course 45 ACP on mine.

Allen Barnett

Back to top Go down

Post by Schaumannk Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:33 pm

Allen Barnett wrote:Not trying to be a snob or some other descriptive adjective but I just don't use ANY range brass.  I just don't/won't trust anything but what I have either bought new or is from factory stuff I have shot.  I to have had a Dillon Square Deal for close to 30 years (maybe more) and never encountered the problem as described above.  I load 9mm, 38 Special/357 Mag, 44Mag and of course 45 ACP on mine.
When I am watching the guy beside me fire off a hundred rounds of brand new 45,  I don’t hesitate to pick up once fired federal star-line, AA or Winchester brass.   Others with more suspicious provenience, especially those annoying small primer 45 cases,  best to just leave them be.

Schaumannk

Back to top Go down

Post by Allen Barnett Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:59 pm

Well yes I will pick up those I have seen fired and know they were factory rounds.  I am not quite that picky but rarely do I ever see that happen at my range.  It seems that everybody now days knows that leaving their brass is like leaving money on the ground.  So yes I will back step some on my comment about not trusting range brass.  But if I don't see it shot I only pick it up for scrap.

Allen Barnett

Back to top Go down

Post by Schaumannk Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:08 pm

Allen Barnett wrote:Well yes I will pick up those I have seen fired and know they were factory rounds.  I am not quite that picky but rarely do I ever see that happen at my range.  It seems that everybody now days knows that leaving their brass is like leaving money on the ground.  So yes I will back step some on my comment about not trusting range brass.  But if I don't see it shot I only pick it up for scrap.
I see it a lot at the county range where I shoot.  Also a lot at matches where there are military shooters.   Picked up over a thousand rounds at Desert midwinter last year.

Schaumannk

Back to top Go down

Post by Allen Barnett Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:18 pm

Yeah I know those military guys can be friendly shooters when on the line next to them.  Back when I shot on my state national guard team we still had to turn in brass so we never let it lay, we picked up everything we shot.  We have a public conservation department range that I don't go to unless with a buddy and then we are both packing.  Some shady things have happened to people there.

Allen Barnett

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:49 pm

Wet tumbling with stainless pins can lead to big time sticking. 

Switching to dry tumbling with corn cob/walnut shell usually solves the problem.
DA/SA
DA/SA

farmboy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:59 am

This is a common problem with some brass and especially new brass.  The leverage is a little less on the Square Deal than the larger presses so you feel it more.

Dillon used to make the expander / powder drop dies with a small shallow groove about half way up the area that goes into the case.  I look for those on the internet.  They can help some. Especially when used with the mica powder explained below. 

But back to a potential solution.  This is what I do for new brass.  

Find some mica powder (most reloading suppliers have it for rifle shooters).  With your finger, put a little dab on the expander / powder drop every once in a while.  Mica is used by rifle shooters and does not cause issues with the cases. Note, use sparingly. 

Or you can take the time to dip the case mouth into a small pile, but that takes way too much time for me.

Next reloading, I usually don't have any issues or need the mica. 

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by Texasref Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:31 am

If you want, take the time and polish the expander die up to the shoulder.
Also sometimes the ram loses a little lubrication over the course of reloading. That will cause some sticking issues.
The main thing is your dealing with a tapered case, and that can cause some problems.

Texasref

Back to top Go down

Post by John McCormick Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:18 pm

I ran 100 rounds through the machine this afternoon after spreading the empties out first and giving them a few spritzes of Hornady One Shot. Worked like a charm. Thanks for all the responses.

John McCormick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down