Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CMM grip adapter

+2
Jon Eulette
285wannab
6 posters

Go down

CMM grip adapter Empty CMM grip adapter

Post by 285wannab 12/24/2020, 9:25 am

Any thoughts on the CMM 1911 grip adapters over the Herretts 1911 grips?

285wannab

Back to top Go down

CMM grip adapter Empty Re: CMM grip adapter

Post by Jon Eulette 12/24/2020, 9:59 am

There’s no comparison, CMM far surpass the Herret’s.
The use actual 1911 grips. 
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Allan Campbell 12/24/2020, 3:42 pm

I had the same problem. My hands are too small to comfortably use the factory grips and to reach the trigger well.

I tried both. I started with the Herrett Flat "Trainers" but the grip was still not comfortable. The front of the frame is exposed and most of the bulk of the grips is behind the actual frame. I still had difficulty getting my finger positioned on the trigger to pull straight back.

The CMM Adapter is less bulky and because it has part of it's "depth" in front of the frame and part behind, rather than all behind the frame, it moves your whole hand forward in relation to the gun, particularly the trigger. Think of it as not only changing the shape to that of a 1911, but adding a short trigger. For someone with small hands that's a big deal.  For larger hands, the Herrett Flat trainer grips may work as well. 

The CMM does not require much fitting. As I recall, it took 2 small swipes with a fine file to get a friction fit.

The frame where one of the screws attaches is thin and if you try to do more than snug it down, it could strip. The frame adapter is aluminum and the screw steel. First, it doesn't need to be more than snug. All it does is help keep the adapter aligned. Second, if you are concerned about it loosening, it is covered by the grips and can't back out. The grip tape also holds the halves together, and you can put a dab of Locktite on the screw if it makes you more comfortable. I did. And finally, if it does strip, CMM has a fix which is a 4-40 nut which is inlet into the grip panel and a slightly longer screw.

Allan Campbell

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 12/24/2020, 5:05 pm

The Larry's / Rink grips are quite good too. My hands are med/lg and work well with them. 

https://www.larrysguns.com/Products/Hammerli-208-Government-1911-Style-Grip__208GOV-NU.aspx

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Outthere 12/25/2020, 6:10 am

Herrett will make them smaller for you. But you need to call them.
Outthere
Outthere

Back to top Go down

Post by JKR 12/25/2020, 12:03 pm

I tried one. It leaves the slide stop quite exposed and my thumb would occasionally push it up while shooting and latch the slide open. Never heard of anyone else having this issue. Probably just something about the way I grip the pistol.
JKR

JKR

Back to top Go down

Post by 285wannab 12/27/2020, 10:42 am

I order a set of the CMM through the company's website.
I think this week I will work on get my 7 inch barrel cut down.  My first thought was to cut it down in quarters to see how it shot and grouped.  But I don't have a mill and I will have to pay per cut so my second thought was maybe my first thought wasn't such a good idea.  I am thinking 6 inches should be ok for now.  How many have 6 inch barrels?  Or 5 1/2 inch barrels?  How do you like them?
Also what is the purpose of cutting the tang?  I understand why up to the breech face, to prevent jams.  But like on my friend's and on one of Roddy's  barrels it is cut but left longer.  I do like the looks of it being cut.  Any purpose?

285wannab

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down