Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One step clean-lube-preserve product

+7
Outthere
blindshooter
spyer40
-TT-
BE Mike
rreid
IowaShooter
11 posters

Go down

One step clean-lube-preserve product Empty One step clean-lube-preserve product

Post by IowaShooter 12/27/2020, 10:52 am

Just over 10 yrs ago I was introduced to this non-petroleum, one-step gun cleaning solvent and dry lube... And have been using it ever since. 

It was developed in 1986 and performs well on all my firearms. While it is a strong solvent, it's safe on all surfaces (wood, blued, polymer, stainless, nickel, cerakote, etc etc).  It goes on wet, cleans, bonds and dries leaving an ultra thin film of dry lube which does not collect residue. 

I'm a user (it's the only product I use) and a fan

I clean my entire firearm with it... Bore, action, chamber...entire firearm inside and out.  The citrus - based solvent in it cuts all kinds of fouling and doesn't hurt surfaces. My wife used to be a part-time distributor for this product, but she retired.  I have no vested interest, nor connection to this company... Just wanted to share this info and let you know it works well for me. 

https://www.prolixlubricant.com/index.html

Here's a summary (from their website)

CLEANS: PrOlix is a penetrating solvent that has been developed over many years, used in industry, and rated the safest, most effective agent. Based on citrus technology (it has a pleasant, mild smell in contrast to petroleum based solvents), it is biodegradable and ozone-safe.
We took the results of field testing and modified the solvent for firearm usage. The end result was improved effectiveness, while remaining non-abrasive and non-acidic. In short, it won't remove or harm your metal or wood finishes. We do recommend that you test on plastics, in a small area (on the back side). If no adverse action is noticed, you may continue with complete confidence. Another benefit of using PrOlix is that total disassembly is not required.

The solvent seeks out dirt, oils, grime, etc. (even in small and impossible areas) and floats it away. The chemical action during cleaning developes the DRY lubricant and it is drawn into the pores of the material, creating a skin of protection.

LUBRICATES: PrOlix is a unique lubricant and the result of modern technology. It is not affected by adverse conditions of extreme hot and cold (-80°F to over 460°F). It remains dry to the touch.
PrOlix appears thin, but testing has proven that the retained optimum amount of necessary lubricant is provided. It will not wipe off during firing or flash burn. It will not build up, become gummy or discolor (competing petroleum products turn yellow or brown).PrOlix will enhance and protect any metal or finish it is applied to. The solvent is blue in color but comes out clear on a patch.

The PrOlix protective skin (film) renews itself each time it is used, and prevents contaminates from adhering or attaching, making follow-up cleaning easier. Penetration is made possible by its thin formulation (8.2 cps). Then by the chemical action, it turns into a heavier (68cST 40°C) DRY, enduring and long lasting protective coating. PrOlix was even rated next to the winner of a grease test!

PRESERVES: PrOlix has been proven to work in the freezing conditions of Alaska as well as the dusty wet Texas flat lands and the damp humid jungles of South America. PrOlix preserves and protects due to its thorough cleaning and complete surface coverage.
PrOlix will not remove metal defects. PrOlix is a must for all blued, nickel, and stainless steel finishes. PrOlix is armor-tough yet works equally well on precision guns, air guns or the sophisticated law enforcement and military arms. PrOlix is #1 in Total Gun Care. You can DEPEND on PrOlix...OR YOUR MONEY BACK. Guaranteed.

PrOlix is made in the USA

INDUSTRIAL: PrOlix has developed its second generation formulation to exceed government guidelines by a mixture of components, of which, none appear on any of the EPA's list of toxic or hazardous substances. In fact, it is a non-aqueous cleaning agent with minimum odor and no residue and totally effective for immersion or hand-wipe cleaning applications. Also, its closed cup flash point above 100°F (38°C) makes it suitable for usage in ultrasonic, spray-under-immersion, recirculating parts washers, and immersion/soak applications. PrOlix recommends not using heat because it is not necessary. The elaborate ongoing testing by our competition is related to the use of their petroleum products, which any armorer or gunsmith will concur does not belong on any firearm. Petroleum products only contaminate and create problems when they are used for cleaning, lubricating and "protecting" the tools of our shooting sports.
Attachments
One step clean-lube-preserve product Attachment
16348.jpeg You don't have permission to download attachments.(78 Kb) Downloaded 6 times

IowaShooter

Back to top Go down

One step clean-lube-preserve product Empty Re: One step clean-lube-preserve product

Post by rreid 12/27/2020, 8:48 pm

Also good for cleaning the crud out of your reloading dies.  A q-tip dipped in prolix will get the bullet lube and other junk out without disassembling.
rreid
rreid

Spurls likes this post

Back to top Go down

One step clean-lube-preserve product Empty Re: One step clean-lube-preserve product

Post by BE Mike 12/28/2020, 10:46 am

It sounds something like Frog Lube.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by IowaShooter 12/28/2020, 10:44 pm

BE Mike wrote:It sounds something like Frog Lube.

I don't know anything about frog lube

This one does not need any prep to use... It's a cleaner... Then if you let it dry it leaves a dry lube film... Which does not stay on permanently nor accumulate 

Was designed / created / patented by a guy in the 80's (out west somewhere) who took care of an olympic .22 rifle team... Needed something that would clean and lube without oil (and the residue that oil accumulates)

IowaShooter

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- 12/29/2020, 4:00 pm

Frog Lube is a minty-fresh coconut oil extract, and has similar flowery language. Non toxic used by Navy Seals and not tested on ponies. It actually works well, but it builds up and gets gummy. I wouldn't use it on a BE gun. I'd be cautious of Prolix without knowing more, personally.
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by spyer40 12/29/2020, 9:31 pm

Frog lube is some bad crap

spyer40

Multiracer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IowaShooter 12/29/2020, 11:16 pm

-TT- wrote:Frog Lube is a minty-fresh coconut oil extract, and has similar flowery language. Non toxic used by Navy Seals and not tested on ponies. It actually works well, but it builds up and gets gummy. I wouldn't use it on a BE gun. I'd be cautious of Prolix without knowing more, personally.

I use it, and only it, on my BE Model 41 and all my guns for that matter

I've used it for years (10) and there isn't much I don't know about it... I used to demo it for my wife's business at gun shows - trade shows- and special events at big shoots, etc. and have the MSDS sheets and all the technical specs about the product

Doesn't build up
Doesn't freeze or get gummy
Doesn't accumulate residue 
Does work as a dry lube to eliminate all need for petroleum lubricants 

The solvent is a powerful citrus based solvent (has a very long name that starts with an H) and is combined with the dry lube 

Or.. You can get just the dry lube (it's a liquid, that goes on... and dries) and it is not permanent  

an interesting note... 'BlueLube' for Benchmade knives is the same lube that is in Prolix... Prolix actually makes it (bluelube) for Benchmade 

Many of my wife's customers were gunsmiths (love the versatility, effective, quick cleaning and know it won't harm any firearm surfaces)  and LEOs (love the one-step, non-freeze, no residue buildup, non-flammable, dry lube aspects). 

The Prolix website in my first post shows a lot more if you want to learn more about the product

IowaShooter

Back to top Go down

Post by blindshooter 12/30/2020, 8:15 pm

Hoppes and Kroil 50-50.
I like smelling like I just finished cleaning a pistol not eating an orange. lol!

blindshooter

Al likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IowaShooter 12/30/2020, 10:59 pm

blindshooter wrote:Hoppes and Kroil 50-50.
I like smelling like I just finished cleaning a pistol not eating an orange. lol!

Good one... One step clean-lube-preserve product 1710857839

IowaShooter

Foundryratjim likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Outthere 12/31/2020, 8:22 am

It seems that half of gun-related products are touted to be "used by the Navy Seals". Smile
Outthere
Outthere

Back to top Go down

Post by blindshooter 12/31/2020, 9:56 am

We used a citrus based solvent at work for a while. It would soften some plastics but worked well. I'm not sure it won't something else with some orange smell added. It would get grease stains out of clothing. ( I was single at the time )
They stopped us from using it after one of our customers had a bad allergic reaction.
Wish I could remember the name, Citrisolve or something like that.

blindshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 12/31/2020, 11:29 am

Outthere wrote:It seems that half of gun-related products are touted to be "used by the Navy Seals". Smile
The SEALs are odd in that they’re given an allowance to purchase gear.  So they try all kinds of stuff.  Some of it works and some of it doesn’t.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gustavo1957 1/5/2021, 9:42 pm

I bought some and tried it on my Walther UIT .22 Target Rifle for cleaning & lubing. Seemed to make the trigger even smoother on a great gun.

Gustavo1957

IowaShooter likes this post

Back to top Go down

One step clean-lube-preserve product Empty Another option

Post by SSgtG 1/10/2021, 8:56 am

I've been using Gunzilla for several years now. Plant based, non toxic and simply the best cleaner/ lube I've ever used. Nearly scentless I keep a bottle of hopes around for a whiff of nostalgia occasionally. I recommend it highly.

SSgtG

Back to top Go down

Post by 96wa6 1/10/2021, 9:32 am

Be careful with Gunzilla. I love (as in LOVE) it as a cleaner, but not as a lube (used as you would an oil), at least long term. If you apply it like an oil (a drop here and there) over time (months), it reduces to a thick, brown, gummy substance. The instructions say to let it sit, then wipe it all off; then you might be okay.

Me, I'm old school. I clean with a cleaner (Gunzilla) and lube with a lube (Hoppes oil). Hoppes oil hasn't gummed my guns, but I've only let it sit on a gun for 30 years (in a safe).

96wa6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down