Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Red-dot recommendation for Ruger MkII

+7
C7@71
IowaShooter
hg401
Wobbley
LenV
Allen Barnett
Buck13
11 posters

Go down

Red-dot recommendation for Ruger MkII Empty Red-dot recommendation for Ruger MkII

Post by Buck13 Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:52 pm

I would like to put a red-dot on one of my MkIIs (probably the shortest I have, the 5.5").  Anyone used this?
https://farrow.tech/ruger-mkii-iii-iv-low-profile-red-dot-moun/

The seller is only a short(ish) drive from my home, which is a plus, I guess.  OTOH, they require choosing from a list of sights to mount on it:
RMR
Deltapoint Pro
Burris FastFire
Vortex Venom
Sig Romeo
Holosun
Nikon P-tactical

So, two questions.  1.  Are bases for those sights so different that they’re unique, or does it seem likely that there is cross-compatibility with some of them?  (I’m emailing the seller to ask this, too)

2.  Which of these sights would you recommend, if any?

Buck13

Back to top Go down

Red-dot recommendation for Ruger MkII Empty Re: Red-dot recommendation for Ruger MkII

Post by Allen Barnett Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:17 pm

Is your MKII drilled and tapped already?  I can't remember when Ruger started drilling and tapping all of their pistols.  If your pistol is NOT drilled and tapped you will need to have that done by a gunsmith.  The typical Ruger that has been pre-drilled and tapped by the factory will have 4 mounting holes in the top of the receiver.  If done by the factory things are easier for you in that any gun shop should be able to provide you with a mount for Weaver style rings which will fit just about any red dot be it a reflex or tube style. They are showing a reflex red dot mounted on a 22/45 Ruger and not a standard MKII.  So do you have what they are showing or do you have the standard MKII? Most Bullseye shooters do use a "tube style" red dot veruses the reflex red dot as the recovery time is usually better as well as the dot is more visible in a tube dot and has better brightness adjustability.

Allen Barnett

Back to top Go down

Red-dot recommendation for Ruger MkII Empty Re: Red-dot recommendation for Ruger MkII

Post by LenV Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:37 pm

Red-dot recommendation for Ruger MkII 20191212
There were several makers of mounts for the mk2 that did not require drilling and tapping. I ended up with 2 different types. Or manufacturers. They both work the same. Cost less then drilling and tapping and will work with all weaver rings.Red-dot recommendation for Ruger MkII 20190235
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:50 pm

Buck13 wrote:I would like to put a red-dot on one of my MkIIs (probably the shortest I have, the 5.5").  Anyone used this?
https://farrow.tech/ruger-mkii-iii-iv-low-profile-red-dot-moun/

The seller is only a short(ish) drive from my home, which is a plus, I guess.  OTOH, they require choosing from a list of sights to mount on it:
RMR
Deltapoint Pro
Burris FastFire
Vortex Venom
Sig Romeo
Holosun
Nikon P-tactical

So, two questions.  1.  Are bases for those sights so different that they’re unique, or does it seem likely that there is cross-compatibility with some of them?  (I’m emailing the seller to ask this, too)

2.  Which of these sights would you recommend, if any?
These reflex sights have about 3 or 4 patterns of base layouts.  These are based on sizes and locations of interfacing features.  No particular layout is superior IMO.  BUT THEY ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE.  I have Used Vortex Venom, Burris Fast Fire 3 and SIG Romeo reflex sights.  All are good, and not much to choose one to the other.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hg401 Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:37 pm

I have the Sig Romeo 5 on 2 .22s.  Happy with them.

hg401

Back to top Go down

Post by IowaShooter Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:12 pm

I have the Holosun on a Ruger 22/45 Lite MKIII

Very happy with the performance 

My Sig Romeos also perform well- on other firearms 

No discernable difference (besides picking your reticle / model within manufacturer) 

Have a ball!

IowaShooter

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:52 pm

If I ever figure out how to right click on this tablet I could post the scope mounts I found today on EBay. They are Aimpoint mounts designed to go on non tapped Rugers. Or tapped. 26.00 and looks like seller has 6 left. Just an FYI
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by C7@71 Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:13 pm

Have an early production MKII that is not drilled.  Buddy has a MKI. We both chose the Weigand No Drill mount.  Weig-A-Tinny is the trade name. The Mount, installed, per the instructions is rock solid.  Ruger’s cutting of the dovetail slot varies a little more than I would have thought. The MKI which was blued, popped out easily with a universal sight pusher.  The MKII, Stainless, was a bit of a chore, but it came out.

My buddy has a Primary Arms red dot (scope, not Reflex) on the MKI and I have a 30mm Ultradot on my MKII.  We are totally pleased.

We talked to the owner (Mr. Weigand?). He does custom mounts and might be able to machine and drill a Reflex base.

I think we used Loctite Blue on the screws.  The rear screws clamp the mount so that the end (bore side) contacts the frame/barrel and this puts the mount under slight tension so it is always tight and rigid.

Hope this of benefit...certainly cheaper than drilling.

C7@71

Motophotog7 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Motophotog7 Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:31 am

+1 for the Weigand mount! I’ve had one on my Mkll 5.5 bull barrel for over 25 years with a Millett red dot, no complaints it’s light solid and overall a great option.

Motophotog7

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck13 Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:41 pm

Allen Barnett wrote:Is your MKII drilled and tapped already?  I can't remember when Ruger started drilling and tapping all of their pistols.  If your pistol is NOT drilled and tapped you will need to have that done by a gunsmith.  The typical Ruger that has been pre-drilled and tapped by the factory will have 4 mounting holes in the top of the receiver. 
None of my MkIIs are drilled and tapped.  The newest is serial number 219-93xxx which supposedly maps to 1994 production.  I guess if they drilled and tapped any MkIIs, it was within the last five years of production

I called the LGS and they said the machine shop guy to whom they send work quotes $165 for "drill and tap for scope base."  Not sure I wouldn't be better off using a simple rear-sight dovetail mount and spending that money on the sight instead.

Last edited by Buck13 on Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Buck13

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck13 Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:01 pm

C7@71 wrote:Have an early production MKII that is not drilled.  Buddy has a MKI. We both chose the Weigand No Drill mount.  Weig-A-Tinny is the trade name. The Mount, installed, per the instructions is rock solid. 
That does sound like a good alternative.  I'd forgotten about Weigand.  I remember looking at those years ago, specifically a model that mounts on the Ruger Redhawk at the front and rear sight.  I don't have two Redhawks though (was tempted once by a 9.5" barrel in 480 Ruger in the used case at a local shop once, but for good or ill I resisted), and decided that I'd rather stick with irons since I wasn't doing anything other than plinking with it.

Buck13

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:54 pm

As far as the Dot Goes, I have a Sig Romeo and it is low cost but mine has a tiny bit of reflex on low light settings. I just ordered a Primary Arms Gen II and for $159 shipped it is low cost and I would say the Primary arms is 90% as good as a AIM Point at a 1/3 the price.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by C7@71 Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:21 pm

GOOD NEWS.

Primary Arms now has the SLX GII in stock.

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-slx-md-20-advanced-push-button-20mm-micro-red-dot-sight

I don’t know if that the one mentioned in the previous post or not. I have a 2017 PA Advanced Micro and it was their top seller.  My buddy also has one. No Issues. Neither of them have any parallax.  LOVE the auto shutoff. Many of our BE shooters with more stripes than a zebra have these on their backup guns.

Have an Aimpoint H1 on a CZ Shadow 2.  Have swapped and there is little or no difference. Now,for a person that shoots 895X900 maybe...but not for me.

C7@71

Back to top Go down

Post by Slodad Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:53 am

Ruger will drill and tap it and include a mount that doesn't require removing the sights.  It costs about $100 including shipping both ways.  Takes about two weeks.

Slodad

MarkOue and Buck13 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:44 am

Going back to the OP you asked do some of these dots share the same base and which dots would you recommend. The bottom 3 on your list all share the same base and I would have no problem recommending those 3 choices. My latest favorite is the PTactical but I also like the dots in the Romeo 4 or 5 series. I've only had one Holosun and it liked to move around on my 45 (weak mount) but on a 22 that would not be a problem. I've done a lot of testing (playing) and I've had better luck with a tube over a reflex but that might just be me. I'm thinking about buying the R1 on commercial row so I can have another dot to compare with.

Len
LenV
LenV

Buck13 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by C7@71 Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:58 am

My response about WHICH shight, based on th original question is based on observations and asking questions and also what the intended use is going to be.

I now have optics on 4 guns.  I am trying to improve my skill set using a BE approach, but at my age, I will probably only compete occasionally.  My personal objective is to improve and get the satisfaction of doing something and seeing measurable results, 

But OTOH, I also want to be able to have a play day at the range and shoot many of my non optic guns with a sense of accomplishment and also personal satisfaction.  Therefore the BE approach improves my skill set.

I have a coach that is a long time Distinguished Master, a friend that was a Collegiate coach and has three different Distinguished badges and i also got advice and information from Dave Salyer, an early Distinguished when he converted a new SA RO to a wad cutter...so my comments, from bouncing questions and observing a lot of shooters at matches are based on that.

The Reflex sights listed are all well known.  I started out wanting a 9mm and a Reflex. The SW PC CORE Pro 5L was what I settled on. Smith designed it to Co-witness with the ORIGINAL Delta Aimpoint and the Trijicon RMR.  Those two were the de facto standards and were designed for tactical shooting.

My shooting buddy has shot steels and such and does not want to change, at 74, his approach from 2 handed to BE, but would probably shoot 850X900 if he worked on it.  Neither of us like the reflex sight on my SW, which was the Trijicon RMR. The sight, a Tyoe 2, was great and the auto features worked perfectly. However, the fact that it co-witnesses sort of messes up our minds.  I sold that sight and the SW 5L is on the market as I moved on to hammer CF.  

My coach got bored and also wanted to train some church members and have a response team. He tuned up a Glock Gen 5 34 and put on the Delta Aimpoint 2. He can do head shots at 25 yards.  He also came in second at the Camp Perry GSSF competition a few years ago and almost beat out the top “factory or military “ competitors.  So he “can hold his own”.  He does not shoot a reflex on any BE pistol.  Being the new kid and novice, I noticed that the only Reflex sights in competition on the fully tricked out RUGERS were the C-More.  90% of the optics were tubes and that was predominantly 22LR.  The “ringers” who had to shoot CF as a handicap all shot tubes.

I tricked out a CZ S2 and was advised to put on an Aimpoint H1.  Shoots great.  Very clear. No parallax.  I started to send it to Dave Salyer for the SA RO, but he said it needed a factory mod for the recoil. He recommended the basic Ultradot 25mm.  So that is what he supplied.

I also, early on, borrowed a Buck Mark Field Target with the PA Advanced Micro. It was the backup for the multi-Distinguished and ex collegiate coach and he said that he had won many regional matches with it. No trigger work or anything...  it shot like a dream and I ordered one and it is still a favor with the PA glass.

Then I started on a 22 quest....just for the check of it. I added the Weigand to my original 1980’s MKII and a 4 MOA 30mm.  Did not like the 4MOA and sold it and have settled on the original Ultradot 30 2 MOA as my go to.  Still have the Salyer supplied 25mm 2MOA.  It causes you to focus on the target due to the smaller field of view....and I prefer the 30mm Ultradot.

Bottom line, the OP has to determine what the use of the Ruger will be and his particular shooting habits and preferences.  I am 75 with good vision, so a tube...upper end Aimpoint to the PA (with AUTO OFF) works for me. My Buck Mark still has the PA. My new-to-me SW M41 has a 30mm 2MOA Ultradot as does my stock MKII.  Tubes work better for me, but 30mm is my preference.

As the commercials say, “no guarantees and your performance may vary...”

Wish I had known that Ruger would do the job for $100...would have spent the additional $50 over the Weigand...but it is a solid shooter and my buddy and I have no regrets.

BTW, my buddy shoots a 194-197 X 200 @ 25 yards CONSISTENTLY using his MKI Ruger with the PA Advanced Micro and his Ruger has an upgraded trigger...with no Ortho grips or other enhancements.  He shoots 2 handed. We shoot four 5 shot slow fire strings and score them as we don’t see the need for walking that much...LOL.

So, I just marvel and see if I can improve and get fewer fliers in the 7 or 8 rings.  I am in the high 180’s and will break 190 this year or that is my goal.

Hope this helps.  Way too long, but this IS an equipment discussion thread...

C7@71

Buck13 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck13 Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:41 pm

You have just about talked me into an Ultradot30!  

Actually, I'm considering getting both one of those AND a reflex, trying each on the MkII for while, then moving one (likely the reflex) to my .43 Magnum Redhawk.  I'll probably never hunt with it, but I have a S&W revolver that I can reserve for iron-sight shooting, so no reason not to upgrade both Rugers.  Of course, in that case I need to consider which reflex sights can handle some real recoil...

Buck13

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck13 Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:38 pm

C7@71 wrote:Wish I had known that Ruger would do the job for $100...would have spent the additional $50 over the Weigand...but it is a solid shooter and my buddy and I have no regrets.

Hope this helps.  Way too long, but this IS an equipment discussion thread...
No post is ever too long for me.

Sending it back to Ruger is tempting.  I'm not in such a hurry that the few weeks of turnaround time is a problem, and it saves me pushing the rear sight out and then not losing it in my disorganized closets of gun stuff.  My record on that front is not spotless.  

OTOH, keeping the weight farther back with the Weigand rail might be a little better.

Buck13

Back to top Go down

Post by C7@71 Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:59 pm

Think about this.  IF Ruger would drill and provide and install a mount form$100....I would do that in a heartbeat.  If you are patient, then you can find these on eBay. 

https://www.desertcart.co/products/9099002-volquartsen-custom-volthane-target-grips-mkii-right-handed

Volquartsen Volthane Ruger MKII Right grips.

VCRG-2R. These are discontinued.  I bought a set on eBay early in 2020.  Best thing I ever did.  It will put a little weight on the rear.  Just keep an eye out for when they pop up

C7@71

Buck13 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck13 Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:45 pm

I've had a Volthane grip on my 10" MkII for a few years.  Didn't know they'd been discontinued!

I was thinking of getting a stippled Altamont target grip to try on my newest MkII.

Buck13

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck13 Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:40 pm

Thanks for all the helpful responses!

Buck13

Back to top Go down

Post by mustachio Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:39 pm

The Bushnell TR25 works fine on my Ruger MKII with a Volquartsen barrel, and is very accurate.
Red-dot recommendation for Ruger MkII J2D5NRR
mustachio
mustachio

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down