Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need help with 9mm bullet choice.

+7
Dr.Don
BE Mike
Bigtrout
David R
Kp321
rich.tullo
Cazmont
11 posters

Go down

Need help with 9mm bullet choice. Empty Need help with 9mm bullet choice.

Post by Cazmont 1/8/2021, 6:42 pm

Attempting to encourage a buddy's interest in pistol shooting I loaded a batch of 9mm for his Glock 19. Yeah, I know. I don't like them either but that's what he has. He provided a Lee die set and a bag of Berry 115g JHP's and we scrounged range cases.
This was a year ago and I had no idea how much I was going to miss the 250 cci 500 primers! My notes say I used 4.3g of Titegroup.
I've been reloading since the 70's though exclusively .45 and .38 target loads. This is my only experience with 9mm but I can follow a recipe well enough to produce cartridges that have cycled 100% reliably in the Glock.
My buddy was frustrated with a lack of improvement in shooting accuracy. I tried firing the pistol and was surprised at the poor results. I tore the pistol down and except for the rubber trigger, plastic frame etc. it looked good to me. 
I tried 20 rounds of S&B full jacket (maybe plated?) and huge difference. 
I've read that people have misgivings about Berry bullets but this surprised me. I'd like my friend to pursue his interest in shooting and reloading but I'll have to steer him in a better direction than I have with these crappy shooting reloads.
Anyone have some suggestions on a better (inexpensive) bullet for his Glock or am I missing something else?
Cazmont
Cazmont

Back to top Go down

Need help with 9mm bullet choice. Empty Re: Need help with 9mm bullet choice.

Post by rich.tullo 1/8/2021, 10:02 pm

X-treme makes a good plated bullet Reloading good 9mm is not as easy as 45acp or 38 Special. 9mm seat different and are tapered. 

Most people that shoot 9mm load Hornady HAP , or Sierra or buy Atlanta Arms match ammo.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by Kp321 1/8/2021, 10:24 pm

I only use plated bullets for plinking and general range fodder. I have used several brands and none have had the accuracy that jacketed bullets do. For serious accurate loads, I use RMR Matchwinner bullets.

Kp321

Back to top Go down

Post by David R 1/9/2021, 6:56 am

115  HAP is the best I have found. 

I tried plated.  It was not a good experience.  I get better accuracy from jacketed,  coated or lubed lead.  

The last time I looked for 115 HAP, I went through 9 web pages of sources.  All were on back order.  I settled on coated Missouri 115 SWC with 3.5 Bullseye for 1025 fps.  These feed in my 2 19111 9mm guns.   I have no idea if or how they will shoot out of a Glock.   My wife shoots these SWC out of a Dan Wesson PM-9.  We shoot 25 yards indoors in the winter and  the gun will keep them in the X.    I bought a package of Brazos coated 9mm  150 SWC to see how they shoot. I have not tried them yet.   For 50 yards in the summer, I will stick with the 115 HAP. 

Glocks are different, they have polygonal rifling.  I would stick with jacketed for accuracy.

David
David R
David R

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigtrout 1/9/2021, 7:46 am

My experience in developing accurate 9mm loads led me to the following conclusions.
1.Plated bullets are terrible if the goal is accuracy.
2.JHP profile beats other bullet profiles.
3.Subsonic 125 HAP (.356) yielded my best accuracy at 50 yds.  Different guns may get different results. FWIW.
Bigtrout
Bigtrout

Goose likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 1/9/2021, 8:04 am

I experimented quite a bit with coated 115 gr. bullets. One thing I found out is that they group the best out of my guns with a very, very light crimp. I've had the best results with Precision and Acme coated bullets. I've only tested out to 25 yards. Here is a typical target shot standing, two-handed and unsupported: Need help with 9mm bullet choice. 1GM6v6u
Need help with 9mm bullet choice. 0MkiNoZ
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr.Don 1/9/2021, 9:06 am

I'm not a Glock owner, but I have in the back of my mind that they may have polygonal rifling.  If that is true you may not find cast, swaged, or coated lead bullets that work accurately.  This type of rifling sometimes requires a jacketed bullet.  Then there is the fact that the Glocks are mostly used at 7-15 yds.............
Dr.Don
Dr.Don

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 1/9/2021, 11:27 am

In my experience with plated, which has been limited to combat training ammo, is to not expect great results.  At 25 yards out of my PCC I can get 2 inch groups with about 10% fliers out in the 8 ring.  With jacketed, they’re all in a 2 inch circle or better.  So plated are a no-go for accuracy.  So I just use them for combat pistol training.

As far as loads, be cautioned that OAL really affects internal pressures so I load my 9mm to the max OAL that will feed and function, rather than any particular book value.  Quickload indicates that 5.2 of Unique is safe behind a 124 XTP at 1.12 but is solidly +P at 1.10.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo 1/9/2021, 11:38 am

Wobbley wrote:In my experience with plated, which has been limited to combat training ammo, is to not expect great results.  At 25 yards out of my PCC I can get 2 inch groups with about 10% fliers out in the 8 ring.  With jacketed, they’re all in a 2 inch circle or better.  So plated are a no-go for accuracy.  So I just use them for combat pistol training.

As far as loads, be cautioned that OAL really affects internal pressures so I load my 9mm to the max OAL that will feed and function, rather than any particular book value.  Quickload indicates that 5.2 of Unique is safe behind a 124 XTP at 1.12 but is solidly +P at 1.10.
Good points all.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Cazmont likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cazmont 1/10/2021, 10:36 am

Thanks much for all the input and info. I lean towards reloading rounds for my .38 and .45 shooting needs but my friend's current requirements as a novice will be met best, I think, with cheap jacketed factory 9mm.
It's all academic at the moment as I live in NorCal and factory ammo and small pistol primers are no longer available without title transfer through LGS for online ammo purchases. Looking forward to better times and stocked shelves.
Cazmont
Cazmont

Back to top Go down

Post by pgg 1/10/2021, 5:36 pm

XTPs have always shot best out of my Beretta service pistols from a Ransom Rest. Consistently under 2" at 50 yards and more often closer to 1.5".

I tried the HAPs for the first time in the last year. I can't shoot the difference between them and the XTPs though the very limited Ransom Rest testing I did with them suggested they weren't quite as good as the XTPs.

One of my Berettas has a faster twist barrel and loves the 147 XTPs. The other doesn't, but shoots the 115 and 124 XTPs great. I load all of them subsonic, as soft as I can get with reliable function with a 10# spring. I do almost all of my practice with 115 HAPs now. The 500 quantities come into stock pretty often for 11-15 cents apiece. Set up an alert at ammoseek.

Everything else I've tried - lead bullets, plated bullets, FMJ ... no good.

pgg

Cazmont likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by spyer40 1/11/2021, 7:33 pm

I have been using Zero 115gr over 5.0gr of VV N340 with good results.

spyer40

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammbone 1/13/2021, 4:35 pm

I have an EAA Witness Stock II - also has a polygonal rifled barrel.  I have messed with coated cast bullets, plated, and JHPs.  I have not had ANY luck with Berry's plated. But I have had excellent results with Xtreme 135gr!  But the best I have found are JHP's.  Two great loads for me are:

1) Precision Delta 124gr JHP, 4.8gr N340, 1.100" 
2) Xtreme 135gr, 3.8gr HP-38, 1.120"

It took me forever before I finally broke down and decided to spend the money to try JHP's. I'm happy I did and will lean that way in the future if the market and finances allow.  My only "issue" with the PD JHP is the slight rim they have on the bottom. They cause issues with my bullet feeder.

Hammbone

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down