Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question about chamfering of Mark II chamber

3 posters

Go down

Question about chamfering of Mark II chamber  Empty Question about chamfering of Mark II chamber

Post by Buck13 Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:08 pm

In this thread, there's discussion of chamfering the chamber mouth of a Ruger Mark II for minimizing deformation of the bullet when feeding.  https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t16276-a-roddy-ruger-story-for-xmas  

Photo doesn't really do it justice.  Can anyone post a better image of a chamber that's been modified like that?

Perhaps I should have this done to one or more of my Mark IIs.  Curious as to how much reshaping needs to be done.

Buck13

Back to top Go down

Question about chamfering of Mark II chamber  Empty Re: Question about chamfering of Mark II chamber

Post by CR10X Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:31 pm

Ask these 2 questions before proceeding with any gun modifications.

(1) Does the gun have reliability or functioning issues? 

(2) Does the gun produce un-acceptable groups?

Yes and yes means definitely do something or sell the gun.

Yes and No means do something.

No and yes means maybe - check gun with different ammo, clean chamber or try different shooter first.

No and no means it should probably left alone.

Just because one can do something doesn't mean one should unless one is absolutely sure it will not make matters worse. 

And if one must change something, change only one thing at a time. It limits the variables when tracking down future problems.  

Think about how I learned these things.  It will be less expensive for you than for me. 

A couple of thoughts on Friday afternoon, just before bourbon time.......

CR10X

kc.crawford.7, Buck13 and Motophotog7 like this post

Back to top Go down

Question about chamfering of Mark II chamber  Empty Re: Question about chamfering of Mark II chamber

Post by Jon Eulette Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:41 pm

Many 22 pistols can benefit from a slightly polished chamfer at the chamber opening. Not much material is removed. Biggest cause of the deformed bullets is from magazine feeding angle into the chamber. When aligned properly the bullets will go in with minimal if any deformation. That's why I ONLY use Colt 22 magazines in my 22 conversion; I can tune the feed lips on the magazine. The GSG and the plastic mags allow the bullet to flop around during feeding and is one of the reasons for feeding problems with the conversions as well as buttlet tip deformation.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Buck13 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:22 pm

Jon: I agree about the .22 conversion magazines.  Most of the newer plastic mags also hold the round further back from the chamber than the Colt Ace and Kart magazines too.  But then again, some of them run just fine. 

Back to the original OP's question.  As Jon said, sometimes a little chamfer helps.  On the other hand I had a Marvel that would produce little wax moon shaped lead shavings and still shot very, very small groups.  .22 bullets can sometimes take an amazing amount of mutilation and still do ok. Other times, even a perfect bullet won't group out of a different gun.    

22's can sometimes be contrary, weird and cankerous machines.  

CR

CR10X

kc.crawford.7 and Buck13 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down