Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Matchguns MG2 First Impressions

+6
TomH_pa
DrewBone
impalanut
beeser
hengehold
zanemoseley
10 posters

Go down

Matchguns MG2 First Impressions Empty Matchguns MG2 First Impressions

Post by zanemoseley 2/6/2021, 4:09 pm

Figured I would post some first impressions of this pistol since it doesn't get a lot of press here. I just got a pistol from the latest import batch. 

I've got a good collection of 22's, usually I prefer upright "American" angled pistols. I had a nice older all steel GSP which I shot pretty well but was front heavy to me so decided to sell. I now have a Marvel on a custom lower by Jon, a 41PC worked on by Roddy, a 208S with Rink slabs and a upgraded Ruger MKIV. Since selling the GSP I put the cash toward this MG2 so I would have at least one Euro angled grip 22. Truthfully the 208S has become my absolute favorite 22 by a good margin, I was skeptical that the MG2 would dethrone it as my primary match gun.

I went with the MG2 over the Pardini SP for a few reasons. First I've always disliked the tiny dovetail for mounting a dot on the SP, the MG2 has some very nice aftermarket rails that are rock solid. The price is significantly lower on the MG2 and wasn't thrilled with the CS from Pardini when I've asked questions. One of the biggest reasons I went with the MG2 was Jon's endorsement and support of these pistols, Jon has become my go to smith over the years and trust his opinion and work.

Picking it up for the first time I knew I had some acclimating to do, at first the grip and trigger felt off.  After adjusting the grips and trigger shoe angle I've warmed up to the grip and trigger. I still like the 208S trigger better but the MG2 has a nice light roll, I still feel like the feedback on the 208S is better. I got medium grips and they fit my hand well with just adjusting the shelf. 

I typically like heavy guns in the 3 - 3.25 pound range. When I first put a 9000SC on the MG2 with steel rings it felt really heavy, I think this is due to the balance and the fact I'm used to upright pistols. I also tried removing the weights up front but still felt heavy and out of balance. Probably doesn't help I haven't shot since late October. The MG2 has a decent amount of adjustment in the rake angle, after adjusting it fully upright I liked the balance much better. I also mounted a Primary Arms micro dot and added the weights back up front, its now just about 2.5 pounds but I like the feel much better. 

The MG2 is a very unique design, it's essentually like a semi auto lever action pistol. The tube mags are reminiscent of a lever action tube and it uses a pivoting lifter assembly to transfer the rounds from the tube to the chamber, its like no pistol I've ever seen. There is a bit of a learning curve in its operation but gets more intuitive the more you play with it. My one complaint with the action is that it's a bit of a pain to clear a loaded round should you need to make the gun safe, you remove the mag as usual but cannot just rack the round out as usual, you have to actuate the extractor to release the round then work it out. During regular firing everything goes smoothly, the pistol does not have last round hold open. Also inserting a chamber indicator is a bit of a puzzle as the lifter blocks access to the chamber when the slide is locked back, I'm sure I'll figure out a good way once I use in a match. 

The mags are easy to load and even easier with a speed loader I got with the scope rails. All 3 mags worked great and loading them is quite easy to do 1 handed once you get the hang of it.

I took to the range today since it was near 50. These pistols are known to not like CCI so I took a few different premium 22 brands with me. I shot a box of Federal Gold Medal Match 922A which research told me was rebranded RWS rifle match and a box of Lapua Midas+. Both shot well with no malfunctions. You have to rack the slide with some authority, I did have 2 jams when I went to rack the first round, I was just being to gentle with it. Even though I literally haven't shot since late October I shot pretty well consider it's a brand new pistol to me. The trigger felt very nice in action and the grips felt secure and comfortable. I was able to get a very nice hold with slow fire and could stack shots in the 10 ring, rapid/timed fire was a bit more challenging, I had a bit of a tough time getting back to center quickly on the recovery, this may be due to the balance or the fact it's lighter than my other pistols, this will probably improve the more I shoot it. The recoil impulse was nice and not overly snappy. I will for sure try out a 9000SC again or maybe one of my MD2 dots. 

Overall I'm impressed with the design and function, hopefully it holds up over time. I feel like it's a great option for a new Euro 22 if you're not dead set on a Pardini or FWB.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Matchguns MG2 First Impressions Empty Re: Matchguns MG2 First Impressions

Post by hengehold 2/6/2021, 11:59 pm

This is great. Thank you for posting this. I have been thinking about getting an MG2 myself. Unfortunately, they are not very prevalent where I shoot and I do not see much posted about them on target talk or this forum. I have a couple questions:

1. Any particular reason that you did not get the BE model?
2. Where can you purchase Matchguns pistols in the USA?
3. How long did you have to wait for your pistol to arrive after you placed an order?

Thanks.

hengehold

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 2/7/2021, 12:48 am

Well Jon told me he preferred the standard MG2 and it's a decent bit cheaper so that's enough reason for me. 

Kang Chua imports them with the technical assistance from Jon Eulette. They do group buys about once a year, if you're interested email Kang at matchgunsusa@hotmail.com If you get on the next order you might get toward the end of 2021, you don't pay till a couple months before it arrives when they finalize the order.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser 2/7/2021, 9:22 am

Nice write up on the MG2.  I'm still waiting for mine to be cleared through Kang's quality control.  Apparently some are experiencing some disconnector problems.

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by impalanut 2/7/2021, 1:23 pm

I also just got my MG2. I have the bullseye version. My regular gun was a S&W 41.

Adjusting the trigger took a few tries to get close to where I wanted it. I am sure I will still fine tune it a little. As above, clearing a round takes a little work, but it gets easier.

Couldn't reliably load CCI. Did very well with Eley standard and S&K yellow. Was told this by Kang when I got the gun, just wanted to see for myself.
I measured a bunch of rounds.  CCI average 25.167 mm long,  ELey. 25.015 mm and S&K. 24.965 mm

Shot three 900,s and two of the three were my highest scores ever.
The gun feels very well balanced and lighter than my 41. Trigger is much smoother with a more reliable break point. I am sure I can get it a little better. 
Recoil seems lighter so it is easier to keep on target for timed and rapid fire.
Adjusting the trigger does require removing the grip for some of the adjustments, so that is a little bit of a pain.

Overall, I am very happy with this gun. With more break in it may do better with some of the other ammunition. Also see how the trigger feels after some break in as well. 

Jon and Kang have been very helpful and quick to reply to questions. They do need to get a better, up to date, and more comprehensive owners manual

impalanut

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 2/7/2021, 1:59 pm

Honestly I would rather have a couple good youtube videos than a manual. One video showing the basic operation, one showing trigger adjustments and a final one showing the cleaning procedure.

zanemoseley

bpettet likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DrewBone 2/7/2021, 3:01 pm

Wait...'great write up, but no images?  Wink

DrewBone

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 2/7/2021, 3:31 pm

Sorry here's a picture with a PA micro dot. I took my Aimpoint Patrol Pro off my 22 carbine and took out of the stock mount, I plan to try it on the MG2 with a single 6 screw 30mm ring. I discovered the Patrol Pro is essentially a shortened 9000SC, the housing and dot look just like my 9000SC's.

Matchguns MG2 First Impressions 01262110

zanemoseley

SingleActionAndrew likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DrewBone 2/8/2021, 6:12 am

zanemoseley wrote:Sorry here's a picture with a PA micro dot...
No need to apologize, I was just ribbing you!

Thank you for posting the picture, it's quite the machine and I wish you well with it Smile

DrewBone

Back to top Go down

Post by TomH_pa 2/8/2021, 8:43 am

Here is a pretty good video on trigger adjustment. The pistol he is adjusting is an EVO model but he describes the different adjustment for the MG2. Only a couple of small differences.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8t-aZfyx3A&t=924s

With a bit of practice you can make the trigger anything from a long roll to a short crisp trigger and anything in between.

TomH_pa

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast 2/8/2021, 9:12 am

Seeing not being able to feed CCI was mentioned twice:

If you have some CCI HP Subsonic give it a try. After issues with my FAS and CCI Standard I gave the hollow point subsonics a try and they feed perfectly.

Seems there's a slight difference in SAAMI and CIP standards that results in some SAAMI ammunition being just a bit too long for pistols expecting CIP tolerances.

If my shooting skills were better, I'd worry about shooting from a rest to see if the HP SS are a good choice, but they are cheap and a couple of local stores always have them in stock.
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by 1joel1 2/8/2021, 10:03 am

Besides one bad batch of CCI, my MG2 has had no problems with it. 
Joel

1joel1

Back to top Go down

Post by TomH_pa 2/8/2021, 12:20 pm

A drop or two of oil on all the moving parts like the elevator, etc. and the frame rail where the bolt/ slide rides does wonders for MG functioning.

I also flush out the mechanism occasionally. I take the grip off and use my parts cleaner tank, not submerging it just take the hose and flush it.
Another guy I know uses brake cleaner. I'm not a fan of brake cleaner on guns but it works for him. Then re-oil.

Mine will even cycle the crappy CCI as long as it's above 50 degrees or I keep the ammo in my pocket until ready to shoot.

TomH_pa

Back to top Go down

Post by toddcfii 2/9/2021, 7:18 am

I have one of the MG-2s from the latest import also. First I do love the look and feel of the pistol. I have put about 120 rounds through it so far. I am more accurate with this pistol than I was with my 1911 22 conversion. I have only shot the 25 yard slow fire target with it and my best ever with the conversion was 88/100 and I have already scored a 90/100 with the MG-2. The forward angled grip takes getting use to. CCI standard would hang up about every other round and getting a live round out is a pain. I also tried Eley Club Ammo and it malfunctioned about 1/5. I have SK Pistol Match and it has had some malfunctions also. About 1/10 rounds. I have not cleaned yet and will do that and try again. BTW my conversion was having a lot of malfunctions before I got the Ammo and cleaning regimen dialed in.
toddcfii
toddcfii

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 2/11/2021, 8:40 pm

Just mounted an Aimpoint Patrol Pro and am really liking the weight and balace. It weights 47oz now with the weights still in place. The dot has the same quality and brightness adjustments as the 9000SC. 

Matchguns MG2 First Impressions 02112110

zanemoseley

SingleActionAndrew likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by toddcfii 2/18/2021, 10:36 pm

I got a hold of three different SK Ammo types: Standard Plus, Automatic Rifle and Pistol Match (yellow, gray and green box). The Standard Plus is by far the best functioning in the MG-2. No malfunctions in 20 rounds so far and the other two were about 1 malfunction per 10 rounds.
toddcfii
toddcfii

Back to top Go down

Post by toddcfii 2/19/2021, 10:39 am

Here is a pic of mine with a Matchdot II. Matchguns MG2 First Impressions F33fe510
toddcfii
toddcfii

Back to top Go down

Post by Lefty 2/22/2021, 5:11 pm

I find that a zip cord or weed-whacker line with a little bend at the end goes in easy as an empty chamber indicator. Also, to clear an unfired round I put the safety on and the slide goes all the way back when I activate the extractor. Holding the gun sideways, the round just falls out. It's awkward, for sure, and that extractor lever hurts!

Correction: The unfired round fell right out ONCE. I must have been lucky that time... Still, one stovepipe in 50 rounds of Aguila Super Extra isn't too bad so far. Still have Aguila Subsonic HP and two kinds of Eley to try!

Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down