Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help with new to me Hammerli 215 - Is this a firing pin problem?

+8
Ned N.
mikep
Steve B
Tripscape
Ed Hall
jglenn21
Jon Eulette
houndog
12 posters

Go down

Help with new to me Hammerli  215 - Is this a firing pin problem? Empty Help with new to me Hammerli 215 - Is this a firing pin problem?

Post by houndog 2/8/2021, 11:31 pm

Recently purchased a Hammerli 215 on Gunbroker.  Really loving the gun, but once every 20 rounds or so I think I'm getting light strikes on the round because it chambers but does not ignite when I pull the trigger.  If I extract and then re-chamber the round it does go off.

So far it's happened with 2 different brands of ammo, so I don't think it's ammo related.  When I extract the unfired casing, it does a have an indentation on the side of the round, so the firing pin is hitting it, but maybe with not enough force/light strike.  

Do I need to replace the firing pin, or is this something else?  Maybe the gun isn't fully in battery?

houndog

Back to top Go down

Help with new to me Hammerli  215 - Is this a firing pin problem? Empty Re: Help with new to me Hammerli 215 - Is this a firing pin problem?

Post by Jon Eulette 2/9/2021, 12:32 am

pull off the slide. look at breech face and see if you can pick any build-up off the edges/corners. push firing pin from rear/out so you can see the tip. see if tip is firm or floppy. floppy indicates it could be broken. clean chamber really good.
shoot it again and hopefully all is well.
jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

chopper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Help with new to me Hammerli  215 - Is this a firing pin problem? Empty Re: Help with new to me Hammerli 215 - Is this a firing pin problem?

Post by jglenn21 2/9/2021, 10:37 am

Also look at a new recoil spring. Seen it be a  issue on the trailside which is the cheap cousin to the 208/215 series
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall 2/9/2021, 11:20 am

With the slide off, look really closely at the rear of the pin where the hammer hits it.  If it is mushroomed or enlarged looking, it could be a soft pin.  A bunch of years ago some mis-tempered pins made it to the market.  While you're looking there press the firing pin in and let it return.  If the pin returns, but the tip stays sticking out, it is broken.

Also, do a "plunk" test: With the slide off the gun, you should be able to drop a round into the chamber and have it fully seat.  Then it should fall out when inverted.  The seating is more important and different bullet/lubes will also affect this test.

The mainspring may also be an issue.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

ric1911a1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape 2/9/2021, 11:40 am

1st and easiest thing to look at is recoil spring. Check if slide is fully closing each time. Once in 20 means you need to check 20 times to spot this. If it is not fully closing the inertia from the hammer will drop a pin on the primer but not hard enough to ignite as half of the inertia will be used to close the slide all the way forward at the same time. Seen this on 215 and SW 41.

Gunk and buildup will act same way.

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve B 2/9/2021, 4:19 pm

What everyone else said.  You could have multiple issues going on.  I had a 208S with a soft firing pin, Ed Hall helped with identifying this issue.  The recoil spring was a little weak.  Lastly, my gun was a laser with Eley ammo.  But the chamber had to be cleaned every 20-30 rounds to keep it from doing what you described above.

Steve B

Back to top Go down

Post by houndog 2/10/2021, 10:53 am

Thanks, very helpful comments.  Really hoping I'm not going to have to clean the chamber every 20 rounds.Shocked

houndog

Back to top Go down

Post by mikep 2/10/2021, 9:15 pm

the manual states, remove the wax from the bullet before loading magazine.

mikep

Back to top Go down

Post by Ned N. 6/18/2021, 11:48 am

Some really good suggestions here for possible solutions to your FTF problem. BUT, it could easily be a problem with your ammo, even different brands. You said that if you reload the round that FTF, it will fire. This confirms something I have noticed recently: a serious drop in quality control with recently-manufactured .22 ammo, especially with the priming compound not being evenly distributed around the rim of the case. In the future, look at the cases that initially FTF but fire on the second try. If both firing pin dents on those cases are identical, I would think the problem is in the ammo.

Ned N.

Back to top Go down

Post by Orion 1/7/2023, 9:46 pm

How can I take out the firing pin to clean?
Orion
Orion

https://www.linkedin.com/in/oriondarley/

Back to top Go down

Post by ermakevin 1/10/2023, 8:25 am

Steve B wrote:What everyone else said.  You could have multiple issues going on.  I had a 208S with a soft firing pin, Ed Hall helped with identifying this issue.  The recoil spring was a little weak.  Lastly, my gun was a laser with Eley ammo.  But the chamber had to be cleaned every 20-30 rounds to keep it from doing what you described above.
same issue with my 208. Eley Club had FTF at 30 rounds and after. CCI Green works better and lasts 100 before an FTF. yes less bullet lube on the CCI's. i also made sure the slide face was square to the best of my ability.
very frustrating to say the least.
ermakevin
ermakevin

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld 4/3/2023, 1:23 pm

208s. Soft hits with Eley Bullseye but no problem with CCI Std. Velocity. Does this look like a soft firing pin? Are replacements available? Also where would I get a new mainspring and recoil spring?

Help with new to me Hammerli  215 - Is this a firing pin problem? Firing10

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 4/3/2023, 5:45 pm

Try redfeather outfiters for all 3.

Cci std runs perfectly in my 208

Last edited by jglenn21 on 4/3/2023, 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld 4/3/2023, 5:47 pm

I didn't see them on their website. I'll reach out to them directly.

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 4/3/2023, 6:02 pm

BTW The mainspring for the 208/215 is the same as the trailside/xesse
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall 4/3/2023, 8:05 pm

I can't tell for sure from the picture, but a soft pin will be mushroomed.  It kind of looks that way to me.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

mspingeld likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ctrap 4/12/2023, 1:26 am

Great info. Thanks guys.

Ctrap

Back to top Go down

Post by Orion 4/12/2023, 6:24 am

I had this same exact problem for months. Dave Salyer fixed this for me, I’d reach out to him.
Orion
Orion

https://www.linkedin.com/in/oriondarley/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down