Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DR Ammo that works

+8
bruce martindale
Outthere
james r chapman
LenV
john bickar
Jon Eulette
jjfitch
Tim:H11
12 posters

Go down

DR Ammo that works  Empty DR Ammo that works

Post by Tim:H11 2/10/2021, 4:30 pm

Those of you here that know me and that have seen my previous posts know I like toying around with revolvers.
I love the Distinguished Revolver matches, and I’ve really enjoyed working up a load for my gun. I’ve noticed that there are a lot of theories and beliefs or stereotypes for DR equipment and ammunition. So I’m going to throw this info out there just for people to read and draw their own conclusions. These are 10 shots fired from a sand bag and the top of my pistol box, through a chronograph at a target placed at 50 yards. Enjoy! 

Gun: S&W Model 14-3
Ammunition:
Hand loads,
2.8 grains of Hodgdon Titegroup,
Federal Small Pistol Primers,
Federal Wadcutter Match Brass Once Fired,
158 grain Cast Lead Round Nose Bullet pushed through a Lee .357” sizing die after being tumble lubed in Lee Liquid Allox,
Lead used was wheel weights, 
Mold used was a Lee 6-Cavity Aluminum Mold (tumble lube design of bullet)

DR Ammo that works  4ca40110
DR Ammo that works  Bdb97910

R*P*DR*, Arthur and chiz1180 like this post

Back to top Go down

DR Ammo that works  Empty Re: DR Ammo that works

Post by jjfitch 2/10/2021, 10:04 pm

Unless there's been a rule change NRA-PPC Distinguished Revolver/Semi-auto requires factory ammo! 

In trying to work up a hand load for practice I never was able to duplicate the Winchester Ranger 158 grain LRN in terms of accuracy. 

Smiles,
jjfitch
jjfitch

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 2/10/2021, 10:18 pm

jjfitch wrote:Unless there's been a rule change NRA-PPC Distinguished Revolver/Semi-auto requires factory ammo! 

In trying to work up a hand load for practice I never was able to duplicate the Winchester Ranger 158 grain LRN in terms of accuracy. 

Smiles,

I’ve been shooting NRA Distinguished Revolver matches - bullseye type, not PPC - since 2017/2018.. the rule since I’ve started these matches was simply that the shooter had to use ammunition that used a 158 grain LRN or SWC bullet. Can be reloads, or factory but no requirement of either. Just the bullet weight and profile. My ammunition is legal.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 2/10/2021, 10:46 pm

jjfitch wrote:Unless there's been a rule change NRA-PPC Distinguished Revolver/Semi-auto requires factory ammo! 

Smiles,
Not shooting PPC. They play with their own set of rules. They also don't like BE shooters and do everything they can from letting them/us shoot their matches. I'm former Army MP and they won't let me shoot the matches in So Calif.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 2/10/2021, 11:12 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:

Smiles,
Not shooting PPC. They play with their own set of rules. They also don't like BE shooters and do everything they can from letting them/us shoot their matches. I'm former Army MP and they won't let me shoot the matches in So Calif.
Jon
That's an interesting contemporary account. I have never shot PPC and I recently looked up the rules and it looked like I was not qualified to even participate.

That's a bummer, because the course of fire sounds fun.

Back in the '80s (and probably prior), Canton McKinley held a big PPC match annually. We had the barricades and everything. I'm not sure what happened to that - it died out about the time I reached my teenage years, if not before.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 2/10/2021, 11:19 pm

Apologies to Jason:

You were clearly talking about NRA Distinguished Revolver. It looks like you have found a good load for that, and thanks for sharing the recipe.

Jon Eulette and I took this thread on a side road down Memory Lane, and then a hard right onto Current Gripes Avenue.

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled programming.
john bickar
john bickar

Jon Eulette, chopper and R*P*DR* like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 2/10/2021, 11:46 pm

Since we're back on the program. Here are a couple of my finds. A decent group out of my experiments and a factory load better than most.DR Ammo that works  20181217 Please forgive the picture orientation. This tablet hates me.
DR Ammo that works  20180634
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 2/11/2021, 4:36 am

as an aside, the NRA does include the PPC of fire in their Action Pistol program.
it is the Civilian 1500. uses the same rules and format.
Canton-McKinley held a large NRA Police Revolver Sectional match when  I shot in the mid 70's. 
great trophys were awarded!
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Outthere 2/11/2021, 6:46 am

One year at Perry, I was scoring Ed Masaki and he was using Fiocchi 158 LRN factory ammo.
Outthere
Outthere

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 2/11/2021, 7:58 am

I’d love to see velocities of different shooters choices for DR ammo.

Back to top Go down

Post by jjfitch 2/11/2021, 8:59 am

Tim:H11 wrote:

Smiles,

I’ve been shooting NRA Distinguished Revolver matches - bullseye type, not PPC - since 2017/2018.. the rule since I’ve started these matches was simply that the shooter had to use ammunition that used a 158 grain LRN or SWC bullet. Can be reloads, or factory but no requirement of either. Just the bullet weight and profile. My ammunition is legal.

Sorry gents, I wasn't trying to derail the thread. My main comment referenced trying to duplicate the Winchester 158 grain LRN cartridge!

And yes I also pointed out that the rules for NRA PPC Distinguished are different.

Smiles,
jjfitch
jjfitch

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 2/11/2021, 11:48 am

Info on the win load, and others was posted in other threads....do some searches, you'll find it

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Chase Turner 2/11/2021, 3:10 pm

Total number of shots28
Stats - Average693.34fps
Stats - Highest729.79fps
Stats - Lowest639.39fps
Stats - Ext. Spread90.4fps
Stats - Std. Dev16.9fps
Load: 3.6gr. AA#2, 1X Hi-Per 38 brass, Fed SPP, 158 LRN swaged Magnus #517, 1.510" OAL.

This is was taken using a Ransom Rest; expect my technique could use improvement.

DR Ammo that works  Pxl_2019

Last edited by Chase Turner on 2/11/2021, 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Chase Turner

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Brown 2/14/2021, 1:17 am

S&W 14-5.  Off bags on a very good day.

Federal brass.
Zero 158gr swaged LSWC.
3.0g HP38.
Federal GM200M primer.
NOE .358 case expander.
OAL:  1.468 - 1.470.
Crimp:  .368 - 370 with Lee FCD.

DR Ammo that works  0GawysAAyxSHYCu83YVacWEhg2VjfRCcnCMwK1vsJXLGu3FxhX2f5sgqtEEgMuWAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Steve Brown

Tim:H11 and chiz1180 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Goose 2/14/2021, 5:38 am

"Back in the '80s (and probably prior), Canton McKinley held a big PPC match annually. We had the barricades and everything. I'm not sure what happened to that - it died out about the time I reached my teenage years, if not before."

John

You are correct John.  I won that match one year.  Shooters came from all over the country for that match!
Steve

Goose

Back to top Go down

Post by 8eightring 2/14/2021, 11:30 am

I went Distinguished with revolver at a time when factory ammo was difficult to find. Lucky for  me  that I stocked up on ammo that my revolver liked.  It was factory Magtec 158 lead Round nose that got my last revolver points.
I haven't seen that on the shelf in years. 
The rules changed and began allowing SAFE reloads. Since I still liked to shoot as a distinguished non competitor in the revolver matches I started reloading for the 38. Some tinkering with reloads brought me to the point that I learned loading for a revolver is  not easy. I did find that I could not use powder puff loads. I had to push those 158 RN  cast bullets fast to get the required accuracy. The use of Lee alox held down leading.
8eightring
8eightring

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 2/14/2021, 12:21 pm

james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content