Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Primer question

+5
Wobbley
SingleActionAndrew
Motophotog7
Texasref
Bestdentist99
9 posters

Go down

Primer question Empty Primer question

Post by Bestdentist99 Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:01 am

As we are all painfully aware of, there’s a severe primer shortage.
I’ve always used CCI primers for all my reloads and worked up a good load for my RO Dave Salyer accurized wad gun and it has been a tack driver with Starline brass/4.4 gr of Bullseye powder behind a 160 gr SWC bullet at both the short and long line. 
I ran out of CCI and was able to scramble some Wolf, Winchester and Federal large pistol primers. What is your experience with same brass/powder/bullet combination but different primers and it’s effect on accuracy?
Thank you in advance for your input.

Bestdentist99

Back to top Go down

Primer question Empty Re: Primer question

Post by Texasref Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:15 am

First of all.......Lucky you!!!
I prefer CCI also. But I've used any and all primers. They all go bang.
CCI is a little harder cup than the others so IMO they seat better. Other than that, meh.

Effect on accuracy: None. The millisecond from hammer drop, firing pin strike, primer spark, powder ignition, powder burn.........well you get the jest.

In short, shoot 'em up.

Texasref

Back to top Go down

Post by Motophotog7 Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:48 am

I had the same question in mind, though I’ve always used Winchester Primers I was able to score some CCI and 2k Winchester match when we were all starting to see the writing on the wall. Glad to hear I should be able to just load the up. Cool

Motophotog7

Back to top Go down

Post by SingleActionAndrew Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:20 am

Winchester are a little hotter
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:37 am

I load with Winchester and don’t notice any difference.  

Remember, bullseye pistols aren’t Benchrest rifles.  A hotter or colder primer isn’t going to make your pistol shoot 8s.  You do that.  So load what you have and get training.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

jjfitch, Jwhelan939, DA/SA, David R and Motophotog7 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:48 am

On a chrony you'll see around 50fps more velocity with Win than say a CCI or other std. Large pistol. No real affect on accuracy.. all I run are Win.
jglenn21
jglenn21

SingleActionAndrew likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by David R Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:18 pm

Wobbley wrote:I load with Winchester and don’t notice any difference.  

Remember, bullseye pistols aren’t Benchrest rifles.  A hotter or colder primer isn’t going to make your pistol shoot 8s.  You do that.  So load what you have and get training.
Love it!

David
David R
David R

Back to top Go down

Post by SingleActionAndrew Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:42 pm

Wobbley wrote:I load with Winchester and don’t notice any difference.  

I suppose not so much an issue with our sport going from CCI to Winchester, but if going the other direction (Winchester to a colder primer like CCI or Federal) Does make an important difference.

Today I shot a short line load that's dead on reliable with Federal primers instead of the usual Winchester (I have ~10x Federal than Winchester left). I had 10% stovepipe with the Federal. 

The hotness of the primers affects how much powder you need to keep light loads reliable, regardless of whether the primer change meaningfully affects accuracy.
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:28 pm

If you have stocepiping issues, something other than primers has changed.  Seating depth and crimp come to mind.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sharkdoctor Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:12 pm

I too, have experienced different recoil impulses with different primers.  Federal can require 0.1 gr more of Bullseye vs. Winchester.  The latter is noted for "standard or magnum loads".  Differences in primer brisance is a real thing.

sharkdoctor

ak41 and SingleActionAndrew like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rburk Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:14 pm

I have recent experience with this issue.  My short line load is a 160 gr. Brazos bullet, 4.2 gr. of WST, and Win. primer.  I use this load to practice indoors, and at the short line outdoors.  It is very reliable.  I tried substituting some ancient Rem. primers, we are talking these are in wooden primer trays.  They all still go bang, so I figured they would be o.k. for practice.

Using the exact same load, I had a couple of stovepipes, and about half the time the slide did not lock back on the last shot.  Also, I noticed a lot of sparks flying out of the action, I assume this is unburnt powder.

rburk

Back to top Go down

Post by SingleActionAndrew Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:18 pm

This (that Winchester is hotter and needs a little less powder) was part of my NRA metallic reloading class as well.
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post by Texasref Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:57 am

Wobbly made a very good point. 
Stovepipes are not caused from different primers. It's a powder or seating depth issue. Most powders in semi-auto will work best if loaded near max. I'm about 0.5 gns from published max. on mine.
If the charge is too light there is not enough energy to open the slide all the way back. This will also cause the slide not to lock back. Next comes feeding issues, due to fixing the stovepipe problem with lighter recoil springs. Which in turn won't strip the round out of the mag with enough force to chamber the next round.

Hats off to Sharkdoctor. In all seriousness. Anyone who can research different primers to increase load by 0.1 gns is way smarter me.

Texasref

Back to top Go down

Post by sharkdoctor Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:22 am

Sorry for the brief post.  Actually I use an additional 0.147gr of powder and rounded to 0.1 in my haste!

Seriously, if one has a reloading setup, and keeps everything the same but changes only the primer, then if something is different, like ejection, I would suspect the primer.  Under the above, how would changing the primer affect either crimp or seating depth, anyway?  Bullseye shooters usually use light loads.  I boost my charge a bit during cold spells, because my gun might not fully eject (stove pipe).  Same for different primers.  Some shooters might favor "near max" loads for precision pistol, but many try to run the lowest load they can that provides small groups and 100% function.  I hope that better explains my post.  YMMV.

sharkdoctor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down