Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top .22 Pistols for "Bullseye" shooting

+12
Outthere
Froneck
mikemargolis
Steve K
Jon Eulette
LenV
impalanut
John Dervis
chiz1180
CO1Mtn
SingleActionAndrew
Asa Yam
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Top .22 Pistols for "Bullseye" shooting - Page 2 Empty Top .22 Pistols for "Bullseye" shooting

Post by Asa Yam 2/24/2021, 5:56 pm

First topic message reminder :

Found this while reading links from the latest "Shooting Sports USA", the NRA's e-magazine for competitive shooters.  Thought it might be useful for anyone wondering what .22 to use for Precision Pistol.

Link:  https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2015/9/15/the-best-22-caliber-pistols-for-nra-bullseye/

NOTE:  The Browning Buckmark is #7 of 8 "Also Rans".

Asa Yam

SW-52 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Top .22 Pistols for "Bullseye" shooting - Page 2 Empty Re: Top .22 Pistols for "Bullseye" shooting

Post by Froneck 3/2/2021, 11:29 pm

If your looking for a backup I would get another conversion. If you have a problem with the .22 your using at a match it would be better if the backup was the same type. You could then start looking for another 1911 frame so you have complete pistol backup , Having a backup conversion it would not take much to put the conversion on the 1911 frame your using if the problem is with the conversion but if it is with 1911 frame then a complete pistol is available. The benefit of changing the conversion on the frame being used is the trigger will be exactly the same since it's the same frame.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Top .22 Pistols for "Bullseye" shooting - Page 2 Empty Re: Top .22 Pistols for "Bullseye" shooting

Post by Outthere 3/3/2021, 6:23 am

CO1Mtn wrote:Thank you for the information. I appreciate that.
I have a 1911 with a Nelson conversion. So I'm shooting rimfire only now. I wanted a backup pistol because I'm afraid of what Biden is going to do (probably tax the deuce out of everything and make everything illegal to buy and sue the gun manufacturers out of existence).

I checked another gun store today and they too have no rimfire ammo and cannot order any Ruger or Browning rimfire pistols. I asked about a Hammerli Xesse and they had never heard of it and it didn't come up on their computer.
If you're happy with the 1911 Conversion, you may consider another. It would simplify your life-(parts, mags, grips, etc.).

However, I'm all for new toys. Smile
Outthere
Outthere

Back to top Go down

Post by CO1Mtn 3/3/2021, 5:58 pm

I just bought another Nelson today. I hope the backlog isn't too long.
Thank you, everyone, for your advice!

CO1Mtn

Back to top Go down

Post by Wlw145s 3/12/2021, 1:03 pm

Thanks CO1Mtn wrote:I checked another gun store today and they too have no rimfire ammo and cannot order any Ruger or Browning rimfire pistols. I asked about a Hammerli Xesse and they had never heard of it and it didn't come up on their computer.
I’m shooting an x-esse and love it. Good adjustable trigger, more accurate than me and wasn’t a ton of money. Mounting a red dot can be tricky, though I’m still shooting irons.

Had to find mine by internet search and shipped to my local FFL. Local guys will scratch their head and stare blankly when you ask them to look for an x-esse. Gunbroker is showing some of the 5” ones now.

Wlw145s

Back to top Go down

Post by hengehold 3/13/2021, 9:25 pm

When building a 1911 with a 22 conversion, what are you guys using for the 1911 frame?

hengehold

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 3/14/2021, 9:46 am

hengehold wrote:When building a 1911 with a 22 conversion, what are you guys using for the 1911 frame?

Truly depends on preference/availability. Some people get a cheap 1911 and start from that, others will use a custom frame such as a Caspian, though not the only option.  

Personally I have used a Range officer as a lower and built one up from a custom frame with good results. The full custom frame may require some machining depending on which one you go with. If I decided I needed another lower I would probably have KC build one, his builds are top shelf.
chiz1180
chiz1180

dieselguy624 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bob finger 3/16/2021, 8:14 am

My Nelson Conversion is on a 1990 vintage Springer marked Brazil.  But then the entire fire control group has been replaced as has the Beavertail, so it is just an old Springer frame.  Mine is flawless.  Springer top end sits in a drawer, unused.  bob

ps I 2nd the KC recommendation if you want to build one

bob finger

Back to top Go down

Post by hengehold 3/16/2021, 9:22 am

Is there a 1911 .22 conversion that is significantly better than the rest or are there several options that are equal?

I have read that the Marvel conversion is great and it appears that many on this site use the Nelson conversion.

hengehold

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 3/16/2021, 9:45 am

hengehold wrote:Is there a 1911 .22 conversion that is significantly better than the rest or are there several options that are equal?

I have read that the Marvel conversion is great and it appears that many on this site use the Nelson conversion.
I have both Nelson conversions and Marvels they are for the most part identical in use. Marvels can have more configuration option (non-lockback, lockback, steel slide, ect.), though are a bit more notorious for breaking firing pins. Nelsons typically have more of a wait time for the build but they have a few slight updates over the Marvels. Some people have a slight preference to one over another, personally my primary is a Nelson.  

The advantage arms target model is popular with some, price point looks attractive though I have not personally looked into one.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by Deerspy 3/16/2021, 6:40 pm

Top .22 Pistols for "Bullseye" shooting - Page 2 Img_0111
I built this one from a foster 2nd's frame bought cheap at gunshow used lot of second hand parts and put a nelson on shoots 2 inch at 50 RR rest with CCI SV
I call it old ugly not as nice as the RO 45acp but works

Deerspy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2