Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Green dot instead of Red

+3
Boxturtle
OldShooter43
bmize1
7 posters

Go down

Green dot instead of Red Empty Green dot instead of Red

Post by bmize1 Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:39 pm

I got a Holson green dot on a trade a while back and really didn’t pay it any attention.

Put it on a pistol I was working on just to run to the range and try it out.
Suddenly, the dot was round, not the starburst I’m accustomed to with the red and my astigmatism.

Girlfriend shot it a few mags and announced, I want this on my pistol......
So I ordered another one and have put it on the new to me 208 and will see how it goes.

She has had it on her pistol for a couple of club matches and says she will never go back to red.

Anyone else tried a green dot?

bmize1

Back to top Go down

Green dot instead of Red Empty Re: Green dot instead of Red

Post by OldShooter43 Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:19 am

I actually prefer green for most situations.  However, there are reasons why you may prefer red.  Here's an interesting article on the subject.
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/fiber-optic-sights-which-color/

OldShooter43

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxturtle Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:46 am

A friend of mine swears his green dot sights are round while his red dot sights have a comet tail because of his astigmatism.  My astigmatism causes both to look the same, with the comet tail.
Boxturtle
Boxturtle

Back to top Go down

Post by David R Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:55 am

I have one sight with both red and green.  The red contrasts better with the black for me.   

A lower setting and bigger dot all make it round for me.  

I use a 5 moa or 8 moa so its just visible.    

I was taught to make the dot so I can just see the target through it.  

I have guns with red laser and green laser. The green is more visible in the daytime by far.  It also uses more battery.
David
David R
David R

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:54 am

Eyes see green better. Although it isn't brighter than red, the eyes perceive it so. Red is also harder still for over 40 eyes to see. Aircraft instrument lights used to be red and the lights in ready room were red. The reasoning was that it preserved night vision. Nowadays, modern aircraft instrument lights are a pale greenish color. They work very well. Being way over 40, I prefer green to red.
BE Mike
BE Mike

OldShooter43 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jambat Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:43 pm

I've been wondering about that for a while now: no one wants a laser light flashed to the eyes because of potential permanent damage.
Ask any star wars fan : the coherent beam is much more efficient at destroying stuff than regular light.

Yet, a red dot is nothing but a laser pointed straight at your most sensitive fovea centralis on which your eye focuses it as much as it can. I understand the light intensity is kept in a safe range. I've been using red dots for only a couple years now and still use the same setting.
Here is my question: do older shooters have to increase the brightness of their dot so as to compensate for [HYPOTHESIS : cones killed by their very optic]?

And to stay on topic, a green laser has a shorter wavelength than a red one and each photon packs more energy therefore has a greater damage potential on the retina.

Jambat

Back to top Go down

Post by OldShooter43 Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:56 pm

For what it's worth, I'm 77 and haven't had to increase any red dot intensity so far.  I adjust intensity solely because of lighting conditions such as bright sunny days vs overcast days.  Indoor range conditions may also require an adjustment.

OldShooter43

David R likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SonOfAGun Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:27 pm

Jambat wrote:...

Yet, a red dot is nothing but a laser pointed straight at your most sensitive fovea centralis on which your eye focuses it as much as it can. I understand the light intensity is kept in a safe range.

I don't think that's an accurate statement. The light source in a conventional red dot sight is a simple LED (light emitting diode), and when shooting you're viewing it as a reflection on a piece of glass. A red dot sight is certainly not a laser.

A laser pointing device, "Crimson Trace" e.g., is a laser, but it's not pointing at your eye. It's directed at the target, and your eye sees the portion of the light reflected back.
SonOfAGun
SonOfAGun

Jambat, REConley and Motophotog7 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jambat Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:50 pm

The light source in a conventional red dot sight is a simple LED (light emitting diode), and when shooting you're viewing it as a reflection on a piece of glass. A red dot sight is certainly not a laser.
You are right, thank you for the clarification.

Jambat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down