Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1911 chamber issue

+6
james r chapman
WesG
Dcforman
Boxturtle
David R
leftnlow
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

1911 chamber issue - Page 2 Empty 1911 chamber issue

Post by leftnlow Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:34 pm

First topic message reminder :

I have lurked around this website for a long time and found it to be a source of much valuable information. I'm not a bullseye shooter, just a guy that likes to get the most out of his shooting.

Some time ago I picked up an early Springfield Professional with a Nowlin barrel. I shoot handholds (either 200gr LSWC or Zero jacketed 185 or 230gr) exclusively and  discovered it has a tight chamber. OK, I can disassemble and use the barrel for a plunk test. That got old, so I purchased an L.E. Wilson Case Gauge. Problem is my chamber is tighter than the cause gauge. The cartridges that fail to plunk in the Nowlin feed fine in my Kimber.

I have of course measured everything. I taper crimp to .469" and seat so I am not hitting the throat/lands. My problem seems to be that I occasionally have a bullet seat slightly canted and get a bulge at the base of the bullet. I checked some of the bulged cartridges with ink from a Sharpie and took measurements. For example one problem cartridge measures .4754" at a point .27" below the mouth. It plunks fine in the case gauge, but not the barrel.

This isn't the end of the world, just annoying to disassemble my pistol anytime I'm loading. I see possible options:

Use the Lee Factory Crimp die...it works but swages down the bullets. I haven't tested for accuracy but I know a lot of shooters claim it degrades accuracy.

I have a friend who is a tool and die man, and I could have him make a custom case gauge

I could have a pistolsmith ream the chamber to match the case gauge.

Has anyone else been down this road and do you have any suggestions?

leftnlow

Back to top Go down

1911 chamber issue - Page 2 Empty Re: 1911 chamber issue

Post by mikemyers Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:13 pm

mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2