Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How difficult is it to load 9mm compared to larger loads?

+4
LenV
bruce martindale
chopper
mikemyers
8 posters

Go down

How difficult is it to load 9mm compared to larger loads? Empty How difficult is it to load 9mm compared to larger loads?

Post by mikemyers 3/13/2021, 6:56 pm

I have the feeling that the only way I'm going to get 147 grain 9mm ammo is to make my own.

I was watching this video:
    (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQVO6z2sU6w)

It certainly looks easy enough, especially with the bullet feeder (which I have no desire to buy).
I typically load 50 rounds at a time, maybe 100.  I shoot just as slowly, so it works out.

Question #1 - for 9mm, is it appropriate to seat and crimp in one station?
Question #2 - in the video, his finished rounds don't look crimped to me.  

With lead bullets, I learned my lessons here long ago - seat and crimp in separate stations.  Is this also true for 9mm?

I have no idea when, or if, this will ever happen for me.  The cases look so small to me, and 9mm used to be so inexpensive, I never considered it before.
I do have primers, but no bullets, and no cases.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

How difficult is it to load 9mm compared to larger loads? Empty Re: How difficult is it to load 9mm compared to larger loads?

Post by chopper 3/13/2021, 7:34 pm

Mike, I always seat and crimp in separate stations, but you can do it in one operation. 9mm doesn't need tight crimps like 45acp. They are one cartridge when they say, "just take the bell out of the mouth", that's about all you do, but make sure you can plunk test them in a barrel or case gage. With that part taken care of, you'll have to figure a load for those 147 gr bullets. I used to shoot IDPA and used 147 grain loads to knock down the pepper poppers, the heavier bullet got the job done. The one thing I encountered was when I shot at paper, the bullets would tumble. I cured that by dropping my velocity to around 800 fps.
 I agree, those 9mm look really dinky compared to the 45s we're used to handling. Pick a slower powder I liked HS-6 and regular primers not magnum primers.

chopper

Back to top Go down

How difficult is it to load 9mm compared to larger loads? Empty Re: How difficult is it to load 9mm compared to larger loads?

Post by bruce martindale 3/13/2021, 8:23 pm

Fussy little bastards l say! 

Make sure your expander die is .357/.358 for lead. The ones that come with 9 mm die sets are for jacketed bullets; they damage lead bases. Above folks are right, you can seat & crimp in one step. Believe it or not I really like 3.0 BE or 3.6 of 231 with 120 conical lead. 

Federal cases have a longer straightwall section than all others, yeah, l measured that.

I use Federal and Winchester cases, all others to scrap. Now where you gonna get SPP?

Oh, and I finally have a 9mm Martindale gauge. $6 shipped! PM with your address if you want one.

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 3/13/2021, 11:28 pm

Mike if I can do it with my mitts then you can do it.
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 3/14/2021, 7:52 am

LenV, if you set your mind to it, you could probably fly!

Lots of new questions from what I just read - I didn't even consider lead, I assumed I would be using jacketed bullets.  Who knows if either are available nowadays, likely neither.  Federal or Winchester cases - ditto, I doubt I will find them for a long time.  

I only have one 9mm gun, a Taurus PT-92AFS, which I didn't enjoy shooting until 'mustachio' suggested 147 grain ammo.  I still have three or four boxes of 50, but I hardly ever shot that gun.  I turned down some 1911's offered to me for sale, because of the lack of ammo.  Until now, I figured if I just did 38 and 45 (with the ability to do 44), I was all set.  

To be truthful, ever since I started going to the range again (after vaccinations) I've mostly been following the advice here long ago to stick to one caliber, and preferably one gun.  Now I'm back to dry-firing again too.  All my guns are sitting in place but for my 22's.   And to make this more enjoyable, I left what I felt were my "better" guns in the safe, and am mostly shooting my Model 41, although last week I decided to go back to basics with my Model 17 and steel sights.

Thanks, Bruce.  If I find the other components, I'll also buy the "Martindale Gauge".  If LenV can do it, I guess I can too.  I'll just need a huge magnifier, so I can see them.    :-)
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 3/14/2021, 8:55 am

Yeah I should learn guitar music in just one key too but lifes too short...so I play around. It's all for fun, l don't earn a living at either.

9mm and 556 was in so much use that brass was plentiful right there on the ground. I was prolly the only guy to pick it up. Figures...

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

chopper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 3/14/2021, 9:02 am

bruce martindale wrote:..........Yeah I should learn guitar music in just one key too but lifes too short...so I play around. It's all for fun, l don't earn a living at either........

How difficult is it to load 9mm compared to larger loads? 2935285009
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by tovaert 3/14/2021, 11:18 am

I load 147 Brazos CRN, 147 XTP, and 147 Zero JHP for my Sig P210A and CZ SP-01 Tactical. I also seat and (next step) re-size w/no crimp. I aim for a 900-925 fps round and these two guns (both have a 1:10 twist barrel) group well with the heavier bullet, and both are soft shooting (especially the CZ). I installed the CGW pro package kit on the CZ, 2.5# SA trigger pull, with a CZ rail/Burris FF III installed in place of the rear sight. I sold my Beretta 92A1. I could not get it to shoot well and didn't want to put a lot of money into it.

tovaert

Back to top Go down

Post by pgg 3/14/2021, 4:19 pm

Cast lead bullets tend to need more of a case mouth flare to avoid shaving lead off, but if you're using jacketed bullets, you can generally get away with a tiny or even no flare at all - which lets you skip the crimp or post-size step after seating. (Some will argue that accuracy might improve with a light crimp but I've never found that to be the case in 9mm ... maybe ... check for yourself.)

This is especially easy with bullets like the 147XTP that has a nice boat tail.

Check loaded rounds in a case gage or your barrel's chamber before loading up a bunch of them.

pgg

tovaert likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 3/15/2021, 8:19 am

It will be nearly impossible for you to load 9mm ammo. Since you won't be using those primers, I'll gladly take that burden.Cool
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 3/15/2021, 6:57 pm

My 38 Special guns all give me a dirty look whenever I consider stealing "their" primers for any reason.  My wad gun isn't so concerned.  All my guns breathe a sight of relief when they see me packing my Ruger Old Army for the range.

My biggest concern is 22.  When I use up what I've got, it's all done and over with for a while.

Thanks though - maybe that's another good reason to hold off on loading 9mm.  Too many of my other, favorite, guns, would soon be going hungry.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 3/15/2021, 7:28 pm

No excuses to not load some 9mm. That box your new (to you) scope is coming in looked awful empty. Load those up and go play.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 3/18/2021, 6:35 pm

WOW!!!!!!   I forgot what you wrote here, but when the USPS guy came an hour ago, I was amazed at how heavy the box felt.  Started to remove the sight, then huh??? What's all this???    Gee, thank you!  Christmas came early for me this year.

I guess I will order 9mm dies later this evening.  If I use WST, as in all my other loads, any recommendations for load?
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 3/18/2021, 7:00 pm

Mike, I never played with WST loads in my 9's but this Bullseye load will work. Try 3.5 of WST or add a tenth or so. Good starting point anyhow.

How difficult is it to load 9mm compared to larger loads? Dscf0773
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 3/18/2021, 7:22 pm

Interesting - I was able to order another die holder for my press, but after an hour of searching for 9mm Luger Reloading Die Sets, so far I haven't found any available.  Seems like everyone is sold out, and they're not even taking back orders.  I'm now three pages into the Google Search List, with no luck.  I've been trying to find RCBS or Redding, but maybe I need to look for other brands.

Thanks - 3.5 WST for a starting point.  

If I search long enough, I'm sure I'll eventually find something.  I would prefer not to buy from eBay.  Maybe I'll post a WTB topic in the commercial forum.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 3/18/2021, 7:43 pm

Midway has Lee in stock. They come with a shell holder. It's what I use.
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 3/18/2021, 7:50 pm

I assume you mean this?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011201072?pid=140349

It's now in my shopping cart.  If you agree, I'll buy it.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 3/18/2021, 7:52 pm

yep.
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 3/18/2021, 8:01 pm

Done!  Thanks. 

So, in a week or so, I should be all set to go.

No more excuses......
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 3/20/2021, 4:03 pm

Ain't nothing easy.

Thinking about this, I realized I need a #16 RCBS 5 station shell holder plate, except there don't seem to be any available.  So I figured what the heck, I'll load on my single station Big Max press, which I just learned is an "A1 Big Max".  So, I set up my RCBS manual powder drop, and assembled my RCBS APS Bench Mounted Primer Tool, which is done but for a shell holder - which I just ordered, moments before I remember LenV saying one came with the dies.  So I called Midway back, reached the same person, cancelled the second order, and supposedly I'm now all set.

How difficult is it to load 9mm compared to larger loads? Screen89

The dies with shell holder should get here March 24, so next week I'll get to figure out if there's anything else I need.

I have lots of WST powder - I will go confirm with Len what the proper powder load will be for the bullets he sent me.

Gee, nothing goes as planned, but there always seems to be a "workaround".  

The only 9mm gun I own is my Taurus PT92 AFS.  It now has adjustable sights.  It seems to have gotten an "approval" from Hickok45, and has some features that the original Baretta lacks.  

Doesn't matter what it is - I have the "knack" of making anything more complicated!
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by spyer40 3/29/2021, 8:08 pm

I've had good luck with 4.1gr VV N340 under Zero 147gr JHP

spyer40

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down