Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shortages of stuff other than ammo

+11
Texasref
joy2shoot
John Dervis
WesG
bruce martindale
Schaumannk
john bickar
cdrt
8eightring
zanemoseley
RoyDean
15 posters

Go down

Shortages of stuff other than ammo Empty Shortages of stuff other than ammo

Post by RoyDean 4/29/2021, 11:27 am

OK, I get it that there has been a "100 year storm" hitting the ammo and reloading component market. And, to some extent, the new gun market. But what I don't get is the shortage of reloading equipment.

Dillon is back-ordered for months. As is Lee.

I can understand that Dillon may have some difficulty with some critical components (or indeed the assembly and checking process) for their complete presses, but case feeders? Dies? And almost every other accessory. That does not make sense to me.

Lee has most of their stuff made in China - I think. The Chinese economy has been back in full production for at least 6 months. Lead times for manufacture/delivery of consumer products from China is surely measured in weeks, not months?

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Shortages of stuff other than ammo Empty Re: Shortages of stuff other than ammo

Post by zanemoseley 4/29/2021, 11:48 am

It's just basic supply & demand. There's a huge demand for anything related to reloading which surpasses the production capacity.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by 8eightring 4/29/2021, 2:09 pm

Why does a person need reloading equipment when there is no powder or primers available?

Shocked
8eightring
8eightring

Back to top Go down

Post by cdrt 4/29/2021, 4:57 pm

8eightring wrote:Why does a person need reloading equipment when there is no powder or primers available?

Shocked
Stuff breaks.
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 4/29/2021, 5:44 pm

cdrt wrote:
8eightring wrote:Why does a person need reloading equipment when there is no powder or primers available?

Shocked
Stuff breaks.

That's because you forced it 😉
john bickar
john bickar

dmdattner likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Schaumannk 4/29/2021, 6:40 pm

Shocked
The ammo shortage is driving it.   People started shooting what ammo they could find, often in obscure calibers,  pulling guns out of the safe, and now they are trying to reload for it or buy it from someone who can reload so they can keep shooting.    There are primers out there.   I’m not short.  I’ve taken pity on friends and family and sold them stuff they need (or stood in line at Sportsman’s Warehouse every Friday morning when they put out what they have).    I have managed to keep even on primers that way, and started out ahead on powder when I saw they way things were going last fall.    I’m ok for a while yet.    I can last at least until next spring.

Schaumannk

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 4/29/2021, 8:36 pm

john bickar wrote:

I AM a man!

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

john bickar and thessler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by WesG 4/29/2021, 9:42 pm

john bickar wrote:
cdrt wrote:

Shocked
Stuff breaks.

If it didn't work without forcing it, it was already broken.

WesG

john bickar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 4/29/2021, 10:13 pm

I knew that I knew my people.

If it don't fit, force it.

If it breaks, it's time for a new one that ain't from Harbor Freight.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by cdrt 4/29/2021, 10:53 pm

I guess I'll have to explain my comment. I have been using Star presses for years (I have three).  The nice thing about them is, that they are made out of steel and brass.  The only plastic part is the powder reservoir on the newer ones. The older model had a metal one. The only thing I've ever had break is the tool head spring...had one snap in half.  So things do break, even if you don't FORCE it. Wink
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Post by John Dervis 4/29/2021, 11:22 pm

Lee has most of their stuff made in China - I think. The Chinese economy has been back in full production for at least 6 months. Lead times for manufacture/delivery of consumer products from China is surely measured in weeks, not months?

I don’t think that’s true at all.  In my industry, all sorts of things are getting back ordered for months with no consistency in when stuff will arrive.  I sell things 6 months in advance so lately I’ve been ordering stuff in as soon as it’s sold just to have it by the time I need it. 
  I also recently spoke to a dealer that sells Kubota tractors. He said he has 50 tractors on order and hasn’t seen certain popular models in eight months. The day I was there he had just gotten two in a certain configuration that he didn’t necessarily want but he took what he could get.  Simplicity lawn tractors are the same way. He has plenty of customer demand but no product to sell. 
  There are a Ford and Chevy dealer near my shop and both lots are sparse in their inventory. 
  The list goes on but manufacturing in many industries is having trouble keeping up.

John Dervis

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 4/30/2021, 12:15 am

WesG wrote:If it didn't work without forcing it, it was already broken.

By any chance, do you shoot service rifle, sir?

If you don't mind, I'd also like to examine your knuckles.

Last of all, please look at this mirror and take five deep breaths.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by joy2shoot 4/30/2021, 9:39 am

John Dervis wrote:  The list goes on but manufacturing in many industries is having trouble keeping up.

Also not shooting related, but around here I have been told by plumbing supply houses to expect a shortage of water heaters. Not because manufacturing is down, but because the distribution chain has dried up. If you have a commercial truck license, you could get a good paying job around here in no time.

The owner of a tree service company I know (his business is way up) needed another commercial truck. Normally, he could buy one here no problem. But he had to go to another state to get it. The problem is a shortage of microchips that go into many vehicles today.

Last edited by joy2shoot on 4/30/2021, 10:31 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : I don't have Grammarly)

joy2shoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Texasref 4/30/2021, 10:17 am

Think of it this way......You weren't the only one forced to stay home during the pandemic.
Everything was ruined. And when your being paid to stay home now why go back to work?

Texasref

Back to top Go down

Post by 8eightring 4/30/2021, 2:12 pm

Things seem to be coming back in supply. My LGS has dropped their prices on some of their ammo and they got in a good supply of Hodgdon reloading powder.
Now if they could get some Alliant powder---sigh
No primers in stock yet--double sigh Crying or Very sad
8eightring
8eightring

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 4/30/2021, 2:44 pm

Global shipping delays and container shortage means that a lot of industries are struggling to keep up. The problems often show up in smaller niche areas. The big boys can exert their influence and the small guys get pushed out and delayed.

Production of just about everything is down due to shutdowns last year, and somewhat slower production because of distancing and fewer people on-site.

As a result of all that, and probably other issues that vary between industries, the suppliers have a backlog of orders and it will take a while to dig themselves out of the hole.

You only need to be missing one part to stop shipments.

SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by WesG 4/30/2021, 3:27 pm

RoyDean wrote:
Lee has most of their stuff made in China - I think.

I don't think that's true. The quick trim I bought for my 38 cases says made in USA on the box. But maybe that's just the box ;-) Like the woodworking machine I looked at years ago with a big made in USA sticker on it. The sticker was on the sheet metal base. The cast iron machine on top of it had a metal tag riveted on that said made in China.

Nuts and bolts stuff they buy, no telling where it actually comes from. And steel bar for dies could very well be coming from overseas as well. And a delay of a shipment creates a shut down in production that's hard to get on top of.

WesG

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 4/30/2021, 3:31 pm

This is on Lee's homepage:

Since the onset of the pandemic, Lee Precision's order volume has precipitously increased. Each month that has passed, our inventory has become more and more depleted. We have increased staff, working overtime and purchased additional equipment. Most of our office staff is helping assemble and ship our products. We presently have a 172-day backlog of orders placed by our distributors. These orders are being filled in the order they were received. The backlog of orders has stabilized, and we are nibbling away at the deficit.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian 5/1/2021, 9:27 am

For anything coming from China and other Asian manufacturers, don't forget the Evergreen container ship which is fully loaded and being held for damages done to the Suez.   Lots of stuff is trapped on deck and won't be arriving when the purchaser had planned on receiving it.  Until Evergreen pays, those containers are in limbo.  It could be desiccant, plastic bags, plastic cases, etc. I doubt all Made in America products come with 100% US made parts.
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 5/1/2021, 9:57 am

A lot of that reloading equipment sold will never get used. People are panicking and thinking that when the next "shortage" occurs, that they'll be ready. Whoever controls primers, controls the entire ammo and reloading industry. Just like TP and paper towels, people are hoarding ammo and reloading components. I saw a post somewhere where the OP stated that none of the ammo manufacturers were ever going to sell primers. It was because he saw that Midway posted that they wouldn't be selling primers. It turns out that Midway is going to quit selling primers by the cases of 5,000. I do believe that there are none or next to none primers being sold by the manufacturers, as they also produce ammo and need the current production for their own ammo. My advice is don't buy what you don't need. Backorder parts that you need or see if someone on this forum might have a box of Dillon, RCBS, Lyman, Lee, Hornady spare parts and will sell you what you need. I just replaced a couple of parts on my Dillon 650 with spare parts I have had on hand for years. The old parts probably are still serviceable enough for someone to get by until they can get new parts from Dillon, and yes, Dillon will eventually have all the parts we need.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Colt711 5/30/2021, 1:39 am

I can't help but wonder if the "just in time" raw materials and parts inventory method hasn't hasn't been severely interrupted by the pandemic.

An employee in industry advises the following current events in the factory where he works: workers  start unemployment if they "think" they have covid 19, some parts/ materials go almost straight from receiving to prod in "normal" times, a $300 a wk "bonus" while on unemployment, while there are many "help wanted" signs there seems to be little follow up as to the unemployed filling these jobs if able, the Suez Canal blockage.

It seems our production-supply situation was endangered by weaknesses in numerous areas and it just took the pandemic, and our leadership's poorly thought out reaction to it to expose the several dangers.
 Of course the press and the public's reaction are no small factors in the situation!

Ron Habegger

Colt711

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down