Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Square Deal B press question

5 posters

Go down

Square Deal B press question Empty Square Deal B press question

Post by Guest Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:06 am

I recently purchased a Square Deal B press, and I also own the Dillon 550.  I noticed when operating the 550 that there was no resistance at the bottom of the stroke, which there is on the Square B. I found that the sizing die hits the shell plate before the stroke is fully reached.
When I bough this press used, I noticed the screws on the tool head were loose, I'm not comfortable knowing this difference between the presses, I don't feel there is any purpose for it to be that way. I know there are 3 contact points for the sizing die, on the plastic spacer which acts as a spring, has anyone altered this  set up? Is this typical of each caliber they use in the press. 
I'm thinking about removing .010 - .020 from the top of the sizing die, so that it does not apply so much pressure to the shell plate holder, to me this must make things out of balance. I would appreciate hearing from those who have noticed this I'm going to keep from calling this an issue, as for now it's only an issue to me. These have been produced for a long time, thousands of happy owners. Thanks in advance.

Back to top Go down

Square Deal B press question Empty Re: Square Deal B press question

Post by DA/SA Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:16 am

Same on my SDB's.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:45 am

I'm not at my original Square Deal at the moment, but I can't envision "removing .010 - .020" from the top of the sizing die" as raising the die.  I might not remember my setup exactly (or the "B" is different) but doesn't the die head bottom against the tool head when seated?  If this is the case, perhaps adding a large, thin o-ring to the die at the underside of the head may lift it enough without modifying anything.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:14 pm

Hello,
 the way it's set up from the factory allows the sizing die to make contact with the shell plate holder before the bottom of the stroke is reached. If you remove the tool head, and place your finger on the top of the sizing die and pull the lever down you will feel the sizing die back up aprox .025 maybe more but not less. I screwed the shell plate holder down until it had an even gap all around, until there was no preload. I don't know why they designed it that way, seems other press makers have done the same, but not on the 550 on up, that I know of. Once the sizing die hits the shell plate holder, I Would not want it to continue applying that much pressure for no reason at all. So really removing the stock from the head would always keep the bottom of the sizing die contacting the shell plate holder, but not squeezing to me excessively.

Back to top Go down

Post by frazitl2 Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:00 am

My SDB does the same. Never noticed it before. Has not caused me any problems all these years...

frazitl2

Back to top Go down

Post by jjfitch Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:02 pm

On any press during the resizing step your dies will determine how much the die must engage the shell holder or shell plate. The "camming over" my vary somewhat.

I only size 9mm and 38Spl on my SDB and yes the die just kisses the shell plate. When sizing .223 on my 550 the die kisses the shell plate plus additional pressure to insure the case head is sized completely. Even as much as .005 difference seating depth may prevent the .223 from head spacing in a tight chamber. (Ask me how I know this!)

Smiles,
jjfitch
jjfitch

Back to top Go down

Post by Deerspy Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:30 pm

a long time ago they had a problem with the spacer that the dies screw into it was white they would send you a blue one that was thicker if my memory is right when I put the new one on all my trouble went away might call dillon if you have the white spacer.

Deerspy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:52 am

my spacer is blue, since it's part of the tool head spacer. Also now I see when I set up my 550 I can do the same thing to allow for some cam over, which I found is not anything bad.
Thanks to all again who have replied.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down