Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Please give me your opinion on this .22

+13
-TT-
10sandxs
mikemyers
Larry2520
Allgoodhits
Froneck
weber1b
SteveT
BE Mike
Wobbley
SW-52
james r chapman
CO1Mtn
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Please give me your opinion on this .22 - Page 2 Empty Please give me your opinion on this .22

Post by CO1Mtn 6/24/2021, 6:08 pm

First topic message reminder :

Greetings,

If you have time, please give me your opinion about this pistol. Would it be risky to buy this, expecting it to be good enough for bullseye? Is it too old? Potentially worn out? Would the barrel be any good? Thank you in advance for any advice you could provide.

https://simpsonltd.com/high-standard-model-107-military-citation-c45598/

Another one I'm considering:

https://simpsonltd.com/smith-wesson-41-1/

CO1Mtn

Back to top Go down

Please give me your opinion on this .22 - Page 2 Empty Re: Please give me your opinion on this .22

Post by CO1Mtn 7/3/2021, 7:15 am

rich.tullo wrote:If you have big hands and are on a budget. "Browing Buckmark Field Target" The Barrels coming out of Browning lately are excellent I think TAC SOL are making their liners now. 

They are utterly reliable, trigger are good out of the box, someone makes a replacement hammer and Tandem Crass has a lighter sear spring that should work as the Heggis flip does not work great on guns with the new slide.
That's what I have heard about the Field Target, also. The one I dry fired in a gun store had a terrible trigger. I'm wondering if that one was just a lemon and the rest of them are ok.

CO1Mtn

Back to top Go down

Please give me your opinion on this .22 - Page 2 Empty Re: Please give me your opinion on this .22

Post by 10sandxs 7/3/2021, 7:29 am

Triggers on $500 22s leave much to be desired, regardless of brand... the buckmarck is no different.

10sandxs

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo 7/4/2021, 7:45 am

CO1Mtn wrote:
rich.tullo wrote:If you have big hands and are on a budget. "Browing Buckmark Field Target" The Barrels coming out of Browning lately are excellent I think TAC SOL are making their liners now. 

They are utterly reliable, trigger are good out of the box, someone makes a replacement hammer and Tandem Crass has a lighter sear spring that should work as the Heggis flip does not work great on guns with the new slide.
That's what I have heard about the Field Target, also. The one I dry fired in a gun store had a terrible trigger. I'm wondering if that one was just a lemon and the rest of them are ok.
Luck of the draw, after changing the sear spring they should be as good and get better with use. We got a guy that shoots in the 290's regularly in our league with a Browning. Out of the box the trigger should be #4-#5 but if you flip the sear or get a light sear spring you should be right at weight.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by CO1Mtn 7/5/2021, 7:44 am

I think the problem with that particular pistol was the sear and hammer surfaces. The springs could be changed out but it would still be gritty. But like you said, it's luck of the draw. I'll go back in a few months and maybe they'll have a different one I can dry fire and see if it's any better.

I'll probably end up buying the Citation and also buy this Hammerli:
https://simpsonltd.com/hammerli-208-z46203/

Constructive criticism welcome.

CO1Mtn

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 7/5/2021, 11:10 am

Citation and the Hammerli?? Why?? Buy the Hammerli!

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by SW-52 7/5/2021, 12:28 pm

I Have a sjpermatic Trophy Military and are excellent pistols, but +1 in Hämmerli 208.
SW-52
SW-52

Back to top Go down

Post by CO1Mtn 7/7/2021, 8:20 pm

Sorry if I am asking too many questions. But Larry’s Guns has a Hammerli Xesse standard for $879. It has a 6” barrel, whereas my Nelson has a 5” barrel. I have been reading about sight radius and its effect on accuracy. I calculated that my average error in sight alignment at 50 yards would be 1/4” closer to the x-ring if my sight radius were 1” longer.

Is the Xesse bullseye worthy?

CO1Mtn

Back to top Go down

Post by Olde Pilot 7/7/2021, 8:52 pm

1,000% it is worthy for Bullseye. Some High Masters shoot Trailside/X-esse. Very similar to 208/215 Hammerli models. 6" barrel is perfect but still light and well-balanced. Be sure model offered has the grooved barrel for Weaver optics mounting. Adding Picatinney optics rail means pain in the butt field stripping. I know this from experience and $$$.

Olde Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 7/7/2021, 9:11 pm

Larry’s Guns was bought by Red Feather Outfitters. They may not have that exact model of Xesse, but those gun is definitely bullseye worthy. It is basically the modern version of the trailside.

In regards to sight radius, I have a 5” nelson and a 6” nelson conversion. Both shoot well, but the 6” is definitely a bit different than the 5”. This can be a positive or a negative depending. Personally I have only noticed a major difference on the longline, on the shortline it is more of a feel thing than accuracy.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by CO1Mtn 7/10/2021, 2:23 am

Sir,

I am not going to be able to go to the match on 17 July. My job is sending me all over the map, I am working Saturday Sunday and Mon-Fri next week in NJ and I’m exhausted. Thanks for your help but I’d just be a half asleep if I tried to go.

CO1Mtn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2