Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pistol Options for M&P Match?

2 posters

Go down

Pistol Options for M&P Match? Empty Pistol Options for M&P Match?

Post by Orpanaut 7/20/2021, 8:05 am

I'm wondering what sort of pistols are going to be both appropriate (within the letter and the spirit of the rules) and competitive for next year's CMP Military and Police Pistol Match.

This is governed by CMP rule 7.2.3 but there's a lot of gray area there.  At one extreme, you could argue that just taking a pistol that's a legal hardball gun and putting fixed sights on it would work.  I don't know about that.  Aside from the prohibition on using guns that are "match conditioned", there's also the question of whether some models "are" (not "were") suitable for military and/or police issue.  For instance, even the Swiss haven't been using the SIG P210 for decades now.  And what about the M1911?  It was replaced by Uncle Sam almost forty years ago and now even its replacement has been replaced.  Do the handful of small law enforcement agencies that authorize it today make it legal?  

What sorts of pistols were the top shooters in this year's match using?

Orpanaut

Back to top Go down

Pistol Options for M&P Match? Empty Re: Pistol Options for M&P Match?

Post by rich.tullo 7/25/2021, 6:21 pm

I believe the M&P is on the list , with a Jarvis Barrel and trigger work it should be ok not as good as a 1911 but it will hold the bullseye at 50 yards and 10 ring at 25 yards with the right ammo.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by Orpanaut 7/26/2021, 12:39 am

rich.tullo wrote:I believe the M&P is on the list , with a Jarvis Barrel and trigger work it should be ok not as good as a 1911 but it will hold the bullseye at 50 yards and 10 ring at 25 yards with the right ammo.
Is there a list?  The M&P match uses different rules than the "regular" CMP service pistol matches and I don't think rule 4.1.4 applies.  Some of the "other approved service pistols" have features, such as barrels longer than 5", that are specifically banned by the rules of the M&P match.  

"Match conditioning" is also prohibited, so that means no aftermarket or fitted barrels.  

There seemed to be general confusion about the rules of the match (such as when I saw people shooting right-handed during the "left hand only" string) and not much enforcement, so it's possible that some people were shooting their regular hardball guns this year.

Orpanaut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down