Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Krytox Moly PTFE product for sear lubrication

3 posters

Go down

Krytox Moly PTFE product for sear lubrication Empty Krytox Moly PTFE product for sear lubrication

Post by -TT- 7/26/2021, 10:00 am

Has anyone used a Moly PTFE grease such as Krytox GPL215 on a sear?

https://www.krytox.com/en/products/general-purpose-lubricants

The "extreme pressure" Krytox formulas are molybdenum disulfide powder in a PTFE non-petroleum grease, no graphite or other additive, which seem ideal for this. They can be found in small-tube quantities, a little costly but basically a lifetime supply. Anyone have feedback on this type of application?
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Krytox Moly PTFE product for sear lubrication Empty Re: Krytox Moly PTFE product for sear lubrication

Post by tovaert 8/9/2021, 9:32 am

Krytox lubricants are similar to vacuum lubricants. They have very low outgassing rates. They are stable, so only certain solvents can be used to cut them. I use a vacuum grease (Fomblin) on my sear/hammer. Paper towel to remove it when cleaning. You still have to remove powder residue because it is abrasive, so it's not a one-time lube-for-life product. Moly powder will burnish (semi-coat) in the surface roughness, which can stabilize friction unless it gets very humid. Moly oxidizes in high humidity. Overall, I would expect them (Krytox + Moly) to work well together. Krytox is also good at elevated temperatures, you have to get it quite hot before it will char.

tovaert

Back to top Go down

Krytox Moly PTFE product for sear lubrication Empty Re: Krytox Moly PTFE product for sear lubrication

Post by -TT- 8/9/2021, 7:36 pm

Thanks! I wasn't familiar with "vacuum lubricant" but this is clearly one. The "extreme pressures" Krytox formulas add the moly, and the GPL215 is rated for like 500 degrees. It actually wipes off fairly cleanly - more readily than pure moly I think.

I have tried it on my Buckmark, which has very little sear engagement but after some polishing has really helped the feel. It's much more predictable and crisp. I should wipe off the Krytox and try something else on it to compare, but I'm leaving it as good for now.

You mention the moly seasoning the surface. In your experience is it better to leave a little roughness, like stop at 800 or 1000 grit, or is a higher degree of finish better, with such a lubricant? Remembering that Krytox has PTFE.
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by tovaert 8/10/2021, 8:30 am

IIRC Krytox does not contain PTFE particles...it uses a base stock molecule that is similar in structure to PTFE (a fluorinated hydrocarbon chain), but in the case of Krytox grease I could be wrong. I use 4/0 (or similar) polishing paper...not excessively, and it does not remove deeper scratches. I think those are good for lubricant retention. With a very high polish (mirror) I would expect a more noticeable change in trigger feel when things get gritty from residue. A slightly rougher surface finish may stay more consistent, but I'm just speculating here. Perhaps others have looked into those differences.

tovaert

Back to top Go down

Post by TicTocer 8/14/2021, 9:30 am

I have been using Krytox for a long time. Both for firearms and automotive lubrication. Used to have some aerosol dry Krytox and white in small syringes. But only have this now. Keep a tube in range bag and one in the garage for the cars. Not sure which Krytox this is.
Have never lubed a sear with it. Use oil. But next tear down I will wipe down to see it feels better than synthetic oil. Keep the tube in the range bag for locking lugs, barrel bushings, and slide rails. But unless there is an issue just stick with oil for these.
Guess which tubes rides in the range bag.

TicTocer

Back to top Go down

Post by TicTocer 8/14/2021, 9:31 am

Try again.

TicTocer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down