Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

INFORMATION IN REGARD TO 38SUPER WADCUTTER

5 posters

Go down

INFORMATION IN REGARD TO 38SUPER WADCUTTER Empty INFORMATION IN REGARD TO 38SUPER WADCUTTER

Post by Romar 8/18/2021, 8:29 pm

I recently purchased what was advertised as a Colt 1911 38 Super Wadcutter.  I took it out to the range yesterday and discovered it would not fully load a 38 Super ball round.  Both the barrel and the slide say the caliber is Super 38.  Is there a difference in the two rounds that would cause it not to load?  I have shot 38 special wad cutters in the far past and those had the round flush with the casing.  I also have shot and still have what was described to me as 45 cal wadcutters, but they go out beyond the casing? I brought the 1911 home pulled it apart and checked for an obstruction, there wasn't any.  I tried just dropping the bullet into the barrel and it would only drop 1/2 of the cartridge into the barrel.
Attachments
INFORMATION IN REGARD TO 38SUPER WADCUTTER Attachment
38 supr 8-18-21 #2 (3).jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(74 Kb) Downloaded 9 times

Romar

toddcfii likes this post

Back to top Go down

INFORMATION IN REGARD TO 38SUPER WADCUTTER Empty Re: INFORMATION IN REGARD TO 38SUPER WADCUTTER

Post by james r chapman 8/18/2021, 8:32 pm

Possibly .38 AMU?
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

INFORMATION IN REGARD TO 38SUPER WADCUTTER Empty Re: INFORMATION IN REGARD TO 38SUPER WADCUTTER

Post by Jon Eulette 8/18/2021, 8:54 pm

Can you provide picture of the hood; does it have rim cut out for the 38 special?
Can you measure with caliper from the rear of hood to front of chamber where case mouth would stop?
I’ve been playing with some 38 spl barrels recently from the past and they are TIGHT! Also is the lead angle longer than what you see with your 45?
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by jc2721 8/18/2021, 11:08 pm

Have you tried a .38 Special WC?  My 1911 is marked as a Super .38 but it is a .38 WC gun.  The smith who built it cut off the chamber/lugs and silver soldered in a .38 barrel.

jc2721

Schaumannk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by toddcfii 8/19/2021, 4:20 pm

38 Special Wadcutter guns such as the S&W 52 will not load or shoot normal 38 Spacial Ammo with a ball type profile. I would expect if it was sold as a 38 Super wadcutter that it would not load ball Ammo. However I have never heard of a 38 Super wadcutter gun. That does not mean they don’t exist. As another poster mentioned it could be a 38 Super modified for 38 Special Wadcutter Ammo. Also normal 45 “wadcutter” Ammo is really semi wadcutter and has a truncated cone profile. 38 special wadcutter is a true wadcutter and is flat flush with the case.
toddcfii
toddcfii

Schaumannk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down