Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does sandbag resting a pistol affect point of impact?

+8
rich.tullo
Allgoodhits
James Hensler
Ed Hall
inthebeech
chiz1180
SingleActionAndrew
CO1Mtn
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Does sandbag resting a pistol affect point of impact? Empty Does sandbag resting a pistol affect point of impact?

Post by CO1Mtn Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:22 am

Hi all, I have a question. I am bench rest testing a Nelson conversion on a 1911 frame. I think I have it sighted in while shooting offhand. But then when I rest it on a sandbag to test fire it, the group moves up to the top of the target frame, in the 5-ring. Is that normal? I know it's not free floated like a national match rifle is, but I wasn't expecting that.

Also, the best group size I got was 3.5" wide at 50 yards with a 10 shot group. The worst group was 4.5". I don't think that is very good accuracy from a sandbag. This is all with iron sights since I don't have a scope or dot. Isn't that poor accuracy?

CO1Mtn

Back to top Go down

Does sandbag resting a pistol affect point of impact? Empty Re: Does sandbag resting a pistol affect point of impact?

Post by SingleActionAndrew Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:31 am

The offhand vs shooting from rest POI change has been my experience as well. If I shoot from rest it's just to look at group size, not set zero.
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Back to top Go down

Does sandbag resting a pistol affect point of impact? Empty Re: Does sandbag resting a pistol affect point of impact?

Post by CO1Mtn Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:36 am

I can't figure out if it's something mechanical such as pressure on the lower that is causing it, or if it is because I am looking through the sights differently. I tried doing it while standing, and I had the sandbag on top of my pistol box. Same thing, it hits at or above the 5 ring.

CO1Mtn

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:09 am

Try resting your arms on the bag instead of the gun. It could be the iron sights too. If you have a combo rail, a cheaper (romeo5, holosun equivalent, ect.) could help the rested group endeavor be a bit more intuitive.

With all that said, if it shoots on call from the hand, I personally would call it good.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by CO1Mtn Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:43 am

Oh, good idea. I'll just rest my arms on it instead of the pistol.

CO1Mtn

Back to top Go down

Post by inthebeech Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:51 am

You may go crazy trying to figure this out. Before I got a Ransom, I shot more consistently tighter groups sitting on the ground up against a backstop with elbows on knees.  Groups were tighter than off bags. I still don’t know why; I’m assuming there is something not kept consistent from shot tot shot. Buy or borrow a machine rest. Even here though there is a learning curve FYI.
inthebeech
inthebeech

Back to top Go down

Post by CO1Mtn Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:58 am

I'm wondering what would happen if I mounted an old 7x rifle scope I have.

But like you said, I really do need to test this in a ransom rest. I think without that, it's too hard to test. This is a lot harder than testing a rifle.

CO1Mtn

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:26 am

If you attempt the machine rest, see if you can get some assistance from someone who has some time and experience with one. It takes some time to get consistent with one.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by CO1Mtn Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:56 am

Wow. I thought a machine rest was something that just automatically removed all the variables. I didn't know there was a learning curve.

CO1Mtn

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:34 am

CO1Mtn wrote:Wow. I thought a machine rest was something that just automatically removed all the variables. I didn't know there was a learning curve.
Learning curve is mostly set up, and the ability to follow the same process between each shot on reset. Think of it like using a lathe or a mill, you can operate one with little assistance and make some good parts, but if you have experience and full understanding of the process you can make excellent parts.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Al likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:49 am

CO1Mtn wrote:Wow. I thought a machine rest was something that just automatically removed all the variables. I didn't know there was a learning curve.
There is a friction mechanism that has to be reset onto a stop for each shot.  Inconsistent resetting will affect the shot.  Additionally, the trigger must be operated identically for every shot, whether using your finger or the rest's trigger system.  A third issue is the tightness of the build. The sights are mounted on the slide, but the rest grips the frame.  Some guns will shoot better via the sights than the rest.

As to bench resting, every pressure on the gun has to be identical from shot to shot.  For sights, I normally use a 1.25-4x crosshair scope.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Jon Eulette likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:51 pm

Sounds funny but try this because it works! 

Put a 5 gallon bucket on the shooting bench then put a range bag on top of that. This should just be very close to how high your arm is while shooting offhand. Rest your hand on the bag and then shoot some groups. If you do this right the zero will not move while shooting a match unless you have a flaw in your shot Routine
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:12 pm

For me, when using bags, unless I only let my knuckles/ fingers and the lower portion under the trigger guard come in contact with the bags or rest area, I get poor results. Also, very firm consistent grip. This condition comes closest to actual shooting, or what a RR would hope to do. Give this a try.
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by CO1Mtn Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:57 pm

It worked, Mr. Allgoodhits. I also used a rifle scope mounted on the top rail. It turns out that the Nelson is capable of much better accuracy than I thought. I simply don't have the talent yet to wield it to its full potential.

CO1Mtn

Allgoodhits likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:51 pm

OK there are two causes of error when comparing bench to offhand. I) Ballistic Arch many of us shoot with cantted and the ballistic arch and angle change the point of impact. 2) The sight picture is different standing versus a bench. I bench canted until I can confirm a 3 shot one hole group then I adjust until the center of the group is in the x ring standing off hand.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:51 am

CO1Mtn wrote:It worked, Mr. Allgoodhits. I also used a rifle scope mounted on the top rail. It turns out that the Nelson is capable of much better accuracy than I thought. I simply don't have the talent yet to wield it to its full potential.
Fascinating. Glad I read this thread - thanks x2 to Mr Allgoodhits.

RodJ

Allgoodhits likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CO1Mtn Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:40 pm

Here are the photos I took. With the scope at 7x, I shot at 25 yards then 50. At 25 yards it was almost one big hole. At 50 yards, group sizes averaged 1.5". I could not eliminate the vibration due to my pulse. I could see the crosshairs vibrating with every heartbeat so I think the pistol would have been even more accurate without that factor.

CCI SV ammo shot the best. Eley bulk was not as good. Federal high velocity WalMart ammo did just as well as Eley but the point of impact was 1" higher at 50 yards, probably because it was high velocity.

I thought this new Nelson kit I got was defective but apparently the problem is not with the equipment. But for some reason the older Nelson kit I bought always shoots better for me. Maybe it is psychological. But I never broke 90 in slow fire with the new kit. And when I first got it, it shot very poorly, around 60 points in slow fire. I have no idea why.

Does sandbag resting a pistol affect point of impact? IMG-6765
Does sandbag resting a pistol affect point of impact? IMG-6766
Does sandbag resting a pistol affect point of impact? IMG-6767
Does sandbag resting a pistol affect point of impact? IMG-6768
Does sandbag resting a pistol affect point of impact? IMG-6769
Does sandbag resting a pistol affect point of impact? IMG-6770
Does sandbag resting a pistol affect point of impact? IMG-6771
Does sandbag resting a pistol affect point of impact? IMG-6772
Does sandbag resting a pistol affect point of impact? IMG-E6754

CO1Mtn

RodJ likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by toddcfii Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:48 pm

I have read this thread with interest. I have recently sand bag rested a few of my pistols at 50 yards and I did not see my point of impact change much at all vs firing offhand. I did find it a PITA to do on the low bench so I love the 5 gallon bucket technique. I am going to try that next time.
toddcfii
toddcfii

Back to top Go down

Post by CO1Mtn Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:50 pm

Hey guys please look at the photo of the rimfire cartridge I uploaded. Does that look like a light firing pin strike? That's the best photo my cell phone can take. I've had so many failures to fire recently, about 1 round out of 100. I lost a match due to that so today I installed a stronger mainspring.

CO1Mtn

toddcfii likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by toddcfii Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:24 pm

I am no expert but it does look light to me. I was getting light firing pin strikes in my Marvel Conversion. Cost me a lot of points in some matches. I switched to a heavier mainspring and have had zero problems since.
toddcfii
toddcfii

Back to top Go down

Post by SingleActionAndrew Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:29 pm

Strike looks very light to me
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post by CO1Mtn Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:33 pm

It hardly dents the case at all when I shoot. And that's with a new mainspring too. The gunsmith said it was 20#. I remember my rimfire rifle really puts a dent in the rims of the cases, but not this pistol.

CO1Mtn

Back to top Go down

Post by toddcfii Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:42 pm

Can you check the firing pin to make sure it is not broken or otherwise damaged? Also how old is the unit and the lower? If all else fails call Marvel. I have found them very helpful.
toddcfii
toddcfii

Back to top Go down

Post by CO1Mtn Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:13 pm

The lower is a Range Officer that is four years old. The Nelson unit is new. The firing pin does not appear to be damaged. I installed a new mainspring recently, and it's a 20#, although I trimmed 10% off its overall length. If I run it with a full strength mainspring then I get failures to strip from the magazine because the aluminum slide does not have enough inertia to cock the hammer. It's a flaw of the system.

CO1Mtn

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:22 pm

CO1Mtn wrote: I installed a new mainspring recently, and it's a 20#, although I trimmed 10% off its overall length.  of the system.
Aassuming you have a 9 lb recoil spring...go with a stock 20 lb main spring and try an 8 lb recoil spring.

I use a 20 lb main spring and a 9 lb recoil spring in my Marvel and it has never failed to ignite anything i have run through it.

Marvel and nelson use different length recoil springs, nelson being longer.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next