Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Watching out for scammers

5 posters

Go down

Watching out for scammers Empty Watching out for scammers

Post by Founder Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:51 pm

I just banned a newer member, Bob C, for putting up a few too many red flags. Besides commenting on threads with out of context comments and poor grammar and spelling, the member was contacting other members with solicitations to buy firearms from him. The reddest flag was to call for info, but that he wouldn't be taking the call and would be dealing via email and text.

If any of you have dealt with Facebook marketplace scams, they never are available to speak by phone and only deal via email.

If anyone else received a suspicious solicitation from Bob C, please comment below.
Founder
Founder

https://www.bullseyeforum.net

DonBrummer, joy2shoot, bmize1, valbern67, lakemurrayman and AColbe01 like this post

Back to top Go down

Watching out for scammers Empty Re: Watching out for scammers

Post by Founder Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:13 pm

I just banned Ephry73 for soliciting a number of sketchy sounding sales on behalf of some other user via text message.

If you get any messages from one user asking you to contact someone else via text about a sale, I want to know about it.
Founder
Founder

lakemurrayman and Motophotog7 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black_Talon Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:45 pm

Founder wrote:I just banned Ephry73 for soliciting a number of sketchy sounding sales on behalf of some other user via text message.

If you get any messages from one user asking you to contact someone else via text about a sale, I want to know about it.

Oh great. I just got a PM from him regarding a BME mount I've been looking for and sent a text to the number he gave me. To make matters even worse, it's the first text message I've ever sent and I had to have my wife help me through it. What a PITA and now to find out it's a scam. Jeez. So much for this new-fangled technology stuff. Sad
Black_Talon
Black_Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:52 pm

Sending a text doesn't put you at risk per se.

If the individual contacts you, the details will make it apparent that they will collect your payment by a non-refundable means and you will never receive your item in return.

There are scams like this on every platform: "this item isn't mine, I'm letting you know for a friend: contact them here" and some jerk will give you the runaround to see if you are a sucker.

As long as you don't send them any money, it's just a waste of time.
Founder
Founder

lakemurrayman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:33 pm

He contacted me as well.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:51 am

Me too. Tried to get me to text someone about grips. He sure tried the wrong person.
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by flyer898 Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:43 pm

I was scammed by Ephry73. Looking back I can see the signs. I think it might be a good idea to publish every thing we know about the scammers. If we pool our information we might be able to find these guys.
I think that among us we know enough to find these people.
I think the benefit of publicly posting this information outweighs any possible harm harm.
To my shame, I intend to start a thread on this subject and post all of the details of how I was scammed. I realize that I have been too trusting.
If anyone wants to criticize me for being credulous, hold your breath, I am way not in the mood.
My professional experience, prior to retirement, is that scammers like this are usually overseas and beyond the individual reach of forum members or even law enforcement.
Nevertheless, by spreading as much detail as we can collect, including names addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses, we can build an anti-scam wiki with all of the information any of us has. At a minimum we are arming ourselves with information useful to avoid being scammed.

Last edited by flyer898 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : More thinking)

flyer898

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down