Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

another model 41 question

+4
John McCormick
flyer898
SingleActionAndrew
impalanut
8 posters

Go down

another model 41 question Empty another model 41 question

Post by impalanut 8/29/2021, 9:32 am

I have had this gun, an older model, for about a year. It was my primary gun until I got my MG2.
Worked flawlessly the way I got it. Had a custom grip made by Dick Horton and it was still flawless. Recently put the stock grips on so my son could use it while visiting.
Replaced the Horton grips and the trigger wouldn't fire the gun. Field stripped and cleaned it and it still wouldn't fire. Removed the grips to see if there was other parts that needed cleaning. With the grips off it would fire normally. Replaced the grips and it wouldn't fire most of the time, and when it did it took a tremendously larger than normal force to fire. Once it fired, it would finish the mag, but wouldn't fire with the next mag in. Loosened the screws holding the grip, and it seemed to fire ok, except now the grips are loose.
Any ideas as to why this is happening and what can be done to fix it?

Thanks

Howard

impalanut

Back to top Go down

another model 41 question Empty Re: another model 41 question

Post by SingleActionAndrew 8/29/2021, 10:10 am

My Ruger came from Clark all tuned up. When I removed the grips and installed Rinks I had the same puzzling symptoms and drove myself mad trying to figure it out. The travel adjustments on the trigger were set so tight that the trigger wouldn't always reset. It was intermittent and seemed to heal up when I put the slabs on.

You didn't mention what happens when it doesn't fire - are we talking light primer strike or no hammer drop? If the latter, hey maybe your travel adjustments are too tight too.
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post by impalanut 8/29/2021, 10:14 am

No hammer drop.
will check the travel adjustments

impalanut

Back to top Go down

Post by impalanut 8/29/2021, 10:26 am

travel adjustment doesn't seem to make a difference

impalanut

Back to top Go down

Post by flyer898 8/29/2021, 10:36 am

Check the trigger over-travel adjustment. The difference in the grips is likely stressing the frame in a different way and changing the over travel adjustment. Back off the over-travel adjustment slightly and all will be well.

flyer898

Back to top Go down

Post by John McCormick 8/29/2021, 1:19 pm

If loosening the grips results in things returning to normal, then it seems likely that those grips are impeding something. I had the same experience with my Buckmark. It turned out to be the pin that locates the trigger and connects it to the trigger bar. The pin was binding against the right hand grip of one set, but not a second set. Just a guess, but this sort of thing might be the answer. If you coat the outside fire control parts with something that will transfer to the grips upon installation it might show where the problem is. Also, and I'm going to be diplomatic here: Is there any chance that the gun was taken apart while it was leant out?

John McCormick

Back to top Go down

Post by impalanut 8/29/2021, 1:48 pm

That's a good idea to try to find where is was binding. It wasn't lent out. There were here visiting me and we went to the range together. I am the only one who does anything with the gun.

impalanut

Back to top Go down

Post by kc.crawford.7 8/30/2021, 7:08 am

Make sure factory grips aren't letting his thumb bump the safety just enough to "engage" it.
kc.crawford.7
kc.crawford.7

http://www.kcskustomcreations.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinetree 8/30/2021, 7:35 am

^this.

Mr. Crawford suggested that I put a small bend in the leaf spring that applies pressure to the safety, and it cured the issue with my 41.
Pinetree
Pinetree

Back to top Go down

Post by impalanut 8/30/2021, 2:25 pm

After a little trial and error, it appears the top of the inside of the right grip was putting pressure on the mechanism at the very top. There was already a relief cut into the grip. I extended the relief 3mm and deepened it 1/2 mm and this seems to have solved the problem. I will know for sure when I get to the range.

impalanut

Back to top Go down

Post by flyer898 9/1/2021, 10:05 am

I am happy for you that the problem is solved.

flyer898

Back to top Go down

Post by impalanut 9/5/2021, 11:49 am

Update. Went to the range and the gun wouldnt fire.
took it apart and cleaned it. inspected the adjustor for trigger wt. It is at the lightest setting, about 2 1/4 lbs.
reassembled and when you pull the trigger , no fire.
Now with the grip on or off there is no fire when assembled. If I release the trigger guard to remove the barrel, it fires normally. With the slide off it fires normally. reassemble without the grips and when the trigger guard is pushed up to lock the barrel, no fire.
Obviously, something must be binding somewhere, but I can't figure out where.
Any ideas?
Thanks

impalanut

Back to top Go down

Post by GME 9/6/2021, 1:57 am

I recently put Horton's on my decades old Mod. 41 I bought new.  I had a problem with the hole for the mag release being slightly off and binding on the mag release button at one tiny spot.  It made the grips bind going on, and partially depressed the mag release when I tightened down the grip screws.  A few well-placed strokes with a round taper file solved the problem.

It could be that your grips are pressing against the release button - not enough to drop the mag out of the grip, but enough to stop the gun from firing.  If it's no that, it's probably going to be a bind somewhere.  Should be very few possibilities.  I don't believe there are many ways for grips to cause a "no hammer fall" situation.

Good luck,

Gary

GME

Back to top Go down

Post by dlevasse 9/6/2021, 3:19 am

I have had this problem with my Smith & Wesson 41, my trigger bar spring was broken it did not look broken but when I took it out it did not have any spring to it. I tried to bend it open to add more pressure to the trigger bar and it fell apart.

dlevasse

Back to top Go down

Post by impalanut 9/12/2021, 9:30 pm

Took it in to the gunsmith locally. turned out to be a broken spring.
Fixed and working well.

impalanut

flyer898 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down