Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Powder temp sensitivity

+5
zanemoseley
RoyDean
spursnguns
orpheoet
10sandxs
9 posters

Go down

Powder temp sensitivity  Empty Powder temp sensitivity

Post by 10sandxs 9/11/2021, 5:41 pm

Wondering if anyone has any experience with just how temp sensitive powders are... ive got stocks of the following.
Titegroup
WST
VV N310
Alliant E3
Ramshot Comp

I plan do do some work this winter, but wanted to get some initial impressions

10sandxs

Back to top Go down

Powder temp sensitivity  Empty Re: Powder temp sensitivity

Post by orpheoet 9/11/2021, 6:36 pm

I used to load 4.2gr WST for my EIC gun with Zero JHP and shot a match with it in the fall with temperatures in the low 50's and my gun would not run with it. Same load worked flawlessly all summer.
orpheoet
orpheoet

farmboy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by spursnguns 9/11/2021, 10:38 pm

Hello 10sandxs,

I've found that Vihta Vuori N310 is one of the most temperature sensitive powders.  It doesn't take much of a temperature drop, 20 degrees or less, to impact (negatively) functioning.  It's very accurate and clean burning but not worth the headache if you want to develop one "go to" load and then not worry about it anymore.

Jim
spursnguns
spursnguns

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 9/11/2021, 10:54 pm

I agree with others - WST is very sensitive, N310 slightly less so, but still affected significantly. Bullseye seems to be better for variable conditions. IMHO. 

Watch out also for dampness if you leave powder in the measure during cooler/damper periods. Better to dump powder back into a sealed container EVERY time (I learned the hard way!!).

RoyDean

spursnguns likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by spursnguns 9/11/2021, 11:12 pm

RoyDean wrote:I agree with others - WST is very sensitive, N310 slightly less so, but still affected significantly. Bullseye seems to be better for variable conditions. IMHO. 

I'm a Bullseye powder "fan boy".  Once you develop a good load, and there are plenty, it performs the same....hot, cold, dry, damp.  Also, it is currently not near a dirty as it used to be.

Jim
spursnguns
spursnguns

Jon Eulette likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sandxs 9/11/2021, 11:15 pm

I've got a pretty limited amount of bullseye... ill throw that in the mix for testing as well.

10sandxs

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 9/11/2021, 11:27 pm

I like WST but it can be sensitive. I've got notes from last October where I left my stuff in the car the night before a match and was 54 out in the morning. Lost enough energy to cause issues. Was 4.8WST under a Brazos 160, slide mount 9000SC on a custom pistol by Jon that runs like a sewing machine. I've used probably 16# of it and have another 16# or so, don't plan to change powders but you gotta plan for it and preferably keep ammo indoors before your match.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sandxs 9/11/2021, 11:31 pm

zanemoseley wrote:I like WST but it can be sensitive. I've got notes from last October where I left my stuff in the car the night before a match and was 54 out in the morning. Lost enough energy to cause issues. Was 4.8WST under a Brazos 160, slide mount 9000SC on a custom pistol by Jon that runs like a sewing machine. I've used probably 16# of it and have another 16# or so, don't plan to change powders but you gotta plan for it and preferably keep ammo indoors before your match.
That is very close to my load (4.8 wst, 167 gr NOE) and that was my issue as well... hence the question...

10sandxs

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 9/11/2021, 11:37 pm

Ball powders and double base flake powders tend to be temperature sensitive to some degree.  Hercules powders are flake powders but are double base….  IN MY EXPERIENCE. Bullseye, 452AA, WST, and Titegroup are the least sensitive and usually at least ONE will yield a good load in 45 or 38 Special loading for bullseye.  N310 is an oddball. Shoots great in 45 but appears to be touchy in 38 Special.  In my experience it shot well in the cold. 700X, Red Dot, and others seem “fussier”. They shoot well at “X.X” but get away from that and they’re not as good.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tovaert 9/12/2021, 9:50 am

I use E3 for 9mm and .45ACP. It's listed up near the top of the burn chart; so I find myself using the same (typical) charges that folks use for other similar powders. Example: Zero 185 JHP, WLP, Starline, 4.0 gr --> 700-725 fps. Groups at 50 yards are good (2") with my guns, which have good lockup but are not super tight in their slide/frame fit. I chose E3 because I did not want to spend the time and primers doing all sorts of testing, it has good published history/data in several online forums, it's cheap (~$22/lb when I bought it) and for me was very easy to find, it meters well (Lee auto drum, Lee PPM), and Alliant claims it burns clean and is temperature insensitive. I wouldn't hesitate to use it or buy it if your other choices are not available. I'm going to do some more Ransom testing in the Fall when it cools off, to see if MVs change appreciably when it's colder.

tovaert

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sandxs 9/12/2021, 9:54 am

I've shot a fair amount of e3 in the 45 and like it overall... I find it to be more dirty at our pressures than wst... shotgun it's lights out clean...makes a great 7/8 oz load... my best string is 100 straight... I think I have 5 8lbs jugs so lots if stock there...

But back to bullseye... im going.to do some "ice box" testing this winter in our indoor 100 yard range...

10sandxs

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 9/12/2021, 1:47 pm

As I've posted before, you can address most issues with VV310 by using WLP (which are for standard and magnum loads).  

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 9/12/2021, 3:07 pm

10sandxs wrote:im going.to do some "ice box" testing this winter in our indoor 100 yard range...
Oh man....

100 yard indoor range.

Only in my dreams...

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down